Chainsaws

dob

Which chain do you guys prefer to use ,I currently use an Oregon chain but it will not hold a sharp edge for many more than 10-15 cuts, a lot of friends of mine say they are good but this one is not great.

Can you suggest another brand? Cheers.

oregon everytime.............are you useing the rigt size file..........what are you cutting .....are you using a softwood scoop chain on hard wood ....general purpose....chipper chain type..........

bet you are using a too bigger file........are you filing down your rakers (depth guides) regualary ?

oregon everytime.............are you useing the rigt size file..........what are you cutting .....are you using a softwood scoop chain on hard wood ....general purpose....chipper chain type..........

bet you are using a too bigger file........are you filing down your rakers (depth guides) regualary ?

chain is fairly new and had little use. I don't know a great deal about it but I am using the files given to me when I bought the saw so god knows.

Is the bar in good order? If the chain is not tight in the groove it can walk off to one side and just stops cutting. Could the chain be catching somewhere on the inside of the saw causing it to blunt. Any metal shards in the sawdust? Short of that im out of suggestions. The chain should last longer than that so something is going wrong.

Sharpening a chain by hand is an art to get the angles right. You can get an electric grinder which will get the angles right and the same. Some people inadvertently sharpen one side more than the other so that the cutters aren't equal. This makes the saw try to cut in a curve. Chain tension is important as well. Have a look at the video clips on YouTube.

As a former tree surgeon and feller I can safely say that oregon chains are very good indeed.

As the above posts say, get some training. It is money well spent and will save you in time, effort and Wear on your kit and more importantly your body.

Make sure your not contacting the chain with the ground when cutting, getting a saw horse will help, or make one. One touch of the chain,even on soft ground will dull it. Have a look at YouTube for some guidance on sharpening, but nothing beats being shown by someone who knows how.

Sussesx and others saying a lesson/training is way forward.

Look after chain never let it touch the deck but especially stones metal or glass.

Have a look on the chainswaw bars website, there is a link that shows photos of wot a properey sharpened chain should look like and wot the common mistakes look like, think there is clips of video too might give a better idea if a novice.

Must admit never looked on u tube at stuff like that but i'm sure there could also be a lot of bad advice out there too.

1 top tip i was told years ago esp when not very good at sharpening is to give ur bad hand more rubs than ur good hand side, so 2/3 rubbs with ur good hand but mibee 4/6 with ur bad hand, as u get better u can get nearer to same on each side.

I pretty much only use oregon chain, seen me burn a combi can of petrol (1 gallon) only sharpening saw 1-3 times, not hitting the deck is key and cleaning round stumps if felling

Wot nicolaith would be meaning is do u clean the crud out of the bar grooves? That's the usual reason for the chain not oiling rather than the pump itself or the other thing could be the filter in the oil tank, u can usually hook it with a bit of wire and gently pull it out to examine it. But its usually the crud scrape it out with a fine screw driver or proper tool and mind and do the wee hole that the oil gets pumped into

If u rev the saw close to something u ideally want to see splatters of oil on the surface.

Also remember to turn ur bar around every so often.

Get ur tree surgeon mate to show u, althou the best boys are proper old school woodcutters who were on piece work, a blunt chain costs them money

Worked with a lot of different boys felling on railways and many could not sharpen a chain for toffee