Welding Advice for Newbie

Joshua1993

Good evening Ladies and Gents,

I am looking for some advice on welding. It's not something I've done before but something I would like to learn.

I understand it's something which takes time and practice but I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment. After a little research I believe I would like to buy a mig welder, preferably something half decent but secondhand to save on costs. If you could give any advice it would be much appreciated.

Also may I ask if it is going to be costly? I'm not after anything fancy. Just something half decent which will be used occasionally for small home-projects.

Thanks in advance.

Bought cheap welders before,do not last 5 mins,,Go as high as you can on price.

Gas is best as you do not get slag,gasless ones you will get slag...

Try for second hand one,,you are in no hurry,so wait for decent one,,if you can get it at the right price,,one with TIMER,,You will not regret it,,almost does the welding for you..

Lovely timed welds are a treat to look at and look very proffesional..

Agree about not buying a cheapie. I'd recommend one of the R-Tech range. Very good bits of kit at not too much money. Very good company to deal with as well. I've got the 180amp inverter set and it's very easy to use and gives very good results. It will work with gas or gasless with the correct wire and polarity change. Can also be used as an MMA or TIG set with right handset. I'm a fairly experienced DIY welder but this set certainly isn't beyond the scope of a novice either.

i bought an oil cooled stick welder 40 years ago by pickhill engineeers,only 110 amp but the amount of work its done in them years is incredible,still going strong.but do have a little mig as wll these days,,dont buy cheap,get the best you can afford.pays in the long run.

Every apprentice who went through the training school where I worked, had to become proficient at Stick welding before being allowed to go anywhere near a Mig set.

Much cheaper to buy, wont keep running out of gas. Only down side it they struggle to do light gauge stuff.

Every apprentice who went through the training school where I worked, had to become proficient at Stick welding before being allowed to go anywhere near a Mig set.

Much cheaper to buy, wont keep running out of gas. Only down side it they struggle to do light gauge stuff.

hello, long before that most apprentices including my self were taught only arc welding (large oil cooled) as the mig system was not available until around the 1970s early 1980s, as big as a fridge, welding crane chassis/ jibs/large compressor beds, now and to much advantage the handy MMA and small mig welders are good tools, my advice to joshua is buy a small digital arc welder to start, up to 100/120 amp, rods to suite that amps get a load of clean scrap metal off cuts sheet and plate to 5mm from local engineers and practice practice, and decent auto mask as john mentioned, BUT BEFORE YOU START RESEARCH WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU GET ARC EYE, eg if you get a flash without a mask it is very painfull and can damadge eyes so please be very carefull. good luck

That's nice to know, thanks. I think it's a 130 pocket turbo or something like that.

you welcome i had one my self back a few years well quite a few :rolleyes: got years of service sold it a got a electra beckam a quality make, now just have a cheapish 160 MMA, and so diddy and light, magic!!!!!!

I might be the odd one out, but I would get a second-hand stick welder. They are as cheap as chips. Unless you are doing very thin metal, they are fine. I have a large stick welder and a MIG, so have some experience. If I don't weld for a few weeks, my welds are very untidy, but if I weld regularly, I can be quite neat.

Don't dismiss no-gas MIGs. I have owned gas and no-gas and found no-gas better to run.

Might be worth saying wot type of stuff ur expecting to weld? Thicknesses how clean (painted or rusty) the metal is etc.

Depending wot ur wantig to build might influence wot type of welder suits u best. Generally indoor, thin clean metal is Mig territory while thicker dirtier/rustier or outside ur best with a stick/arc

I've had an old Clarke arc welder must off had it 20 odd years now never missed a beat, great tool, bought a clarke mig (gasless) welder but must admit i've never got the hang of it and usually prefer the arc. Both were not dear welders and have done the job fine so far

Have recently just bought an inverter arc welder (about 170 quid) as my genny couldnae power my old arc welder, it absolutley brilliant and far easier to weld with than the old stick welders, althou i have been told its far more fragile too, so doubtful if it will still be going in 20 yrs

hello, it is just a thought for those who have and use a MIG on PW and use CO2 as your gas like we do at the farm, with a PUB bottle get your self an inline heater if you do not already use, ours is putt!!!!and i have been trying to find a decent one as replacement, if anyone knows a supplier ????? would be appreciated

Good evening Ladies and Gents,

I am looking for some advice on welding. It's not something I've done before but something I would like to learn.

I understand it's something which takes time and practice but I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment. After a little research I believe I would like to buy a mig welder, preferably something half decent but secondhand to save on costs. If you could give any advice it would be much appreciated.

Also may I ask if it is going to be costly? I'm not after anything fancy. Just something half decent which will be used occasionally for small home-projects.

Thanks in advance.

hello joshua, let us know what you get ? and keep us posted on your new hobby. cheers