moles in the orchard

oowee

I only bought two. I tried to set them in the runs but when i opened them up there was lots of different passages. They went around the places that i put them. :)

They are laying in the soil now as i have just mown over the area. Hopefully that will disguise the smell a bit?

Edited by oowee

Get yourself more than one trap. Kick flat all the hills to see what ones are being used most. Use a cane, long screwdriver or something similar to push in the ground around the biggest hill starting about 6" out and complete your circle, there will be possibly more than one tunnel going to it, put a trap in every tunnel then move on to the next biggest hill. I cut the hole with a big knife and make sure you cover the tunnel so there is no light getting in around the trap. Moles are just as active during the day.

This is not fool proof but I have taught quite a few people using this method. As you get better you will get more of a feel of it. I trap moles at a few places never for money but for veg, honey and chicken,

Got to agree with Felly. I've caught moles with traps straight out of the box and while not using gloves. The thing with mole trapping is the setting of the trap in the tunnel. You can watch people do it, read a book, watch the Youtube videos but at the end of the day if you don't fit the trap exactly right the mole is likely to go under it. Flatpack tunnel traps are the best I've come across and will work OK without any tweaking. But they have to fit tight in the tunnel. No gaps and with as little disturbance as possible. Also, try and find a single, straight tunnel. If the area is snided with tunnels, try a little way off that area as it is often impossible to find a straight tunnel without a junction branching off in the feeding areas. Look down the sides of fences, walls or paths and put your traps there. Once you've caught the mole leave the trap in for a week or so as often there will be another waiting to take its place.

Had one a few weeks back tried used cat litter down the tunnel as swmbo did not want me to kill it she read on the internet about the cat litter. Next morning six more hill's , so that evening sat outside with the 410 hushpower waited for the earth to start moving & pop job done.

Had one a few weeks back tried used cat litter down the tunnel as swmbo did not want me to kill it she read on the internet about the cat litter. Next morning six more hill's , so that evening sat outside with the 410 hushpower waited for the earth to start moving & pop job done.

This, one mole makes a lot of mess, one early morning does the job!

This, one mole makes a lot of mess, one early morning does the job!

The first one we had we got a pest control guy out (we had two wasps' nests in the roof as well).

Mole was caught. Three days later I was looking out at the garden and saw another mole appear out of one of the old holes! Hushpower in the cabinet so I grasped my trusty priest (wooden, not clergy) ran out and smacked it one before it disappeared!

Cheeky sod!

The first one we had we got a pest control guy out (we had two wasps' nests in the roof as well).

Mole was caught. Three days later I was looking out at the garden and saw another mole appear out of one of the old holes! Hushpower in the cabinet so I grasped my trusty priest (wooden, not clergy) ran out and smacked it one before it disappeared!

Cheeky sod!

Whack a mole for grown ups :lol::lol: