leather work start up cost

rabbit_stu

I've been doing a bit of research and I'd quite like to have a go at some leather work. Does anyone have any ideas on a good place to start eg. Website or a good beginners book?

Also, any idea of the likely start up costs involved in getting a beginners kit together? Am I talking £10s or £100s here?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

I've been doing a bit of research and I'd quite like to have a go at some leather work. Does anyone have any ideas on a good place to start eg. Website or a good beginners book?

Also, any idea of the likely start up costs involved in getting a beginners kit together? Am I talking £10s or £100s here?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Try having a word with "mel b3" on here, his misses is a grand poo-bah of leather workers :good:

Look online at Tandy Leather UK. They are a massive supply warehouse/ retail outlet for the American leather outlet. They stock just about anything you need. Helpful people, and worth a phone call.

I'm into leather working and get 90% of my supplies there.

They do a range of starter kits which have guides and patterns and some basic leather tools. There are several variants, from basic kit to the deluxe kit. I have bought several of these kits as gifts for birthday/xmas presents.

They also have online tutorials for most of their products too.

Edited by wraivi

I got 50m of waxed thread,two needles and a Awl off Eface for about six quid.

I used them to sew a couple of leather patches onto some leather bags for my bike.

Not great quality tools but they gave me an idea of what's involved.

Took be 10 times longer than I thought it would and made my fingers sore. :lol:

making leather stuff really is a piece of cake , i just say " liiiin , can you make one of these for me please my angel ?" , and flash my dazzling smile in her general direction , as she admires my dazzling smile and boyish good looks(id say adonis like physique but modesty forbids) her heart melts and she replies , " youre a right ******* nuisance you are , what the **** do you ******* well want now ? , i work my ******* fingers to the ******* bone making ******* stuff for you and youre a right ******* pain in my ******* **** you lazy fat ****** ".

see , its easy :lol: .

what she really said was.

join www.pinterest.com , type in leather tutorials or leather diy , or whatever youd like to make , and youll get every little bit of information that you could ever wish for . lin works mainly in soft leather (she can do both) so the skills and tools are a little different to bridle leather etc , you can spend as much or as little as you want on tools , itll just depend on what youd like to make , if she can be of any assistance , just shout up and shell try to help.

ps , just incase you read this lin , youre not really a rough old bruiser with big rough leather workers hands and sausage fingers :good:

Edited by mel b3

If you live in Tipton and can't sew leather your a foreigner :-)

That area was and probably is still the horse harness centre of the world.

Back to what you need. I started with one of those automatic awls, poke it through, thread it through and pull tight and on and on. Then after watching a couple of experts I went to two needles and learned how to hide the finish instead of leaving a horrible big knot sticking out. Then you get into boxing your leather for say a knife or individual shells and that leads to making wooden copies of the item to fit into the finished item. Once you have mastered cutting and boxing and sewing it together, then you can start to include 'artistry' either by your own hand or by punch or pressure impressions.

If by leather work you mean making say a sheath for a knife, then I suggest initially go for a simple fold over shape and a loop back belt loop. Very simple to cut out a card pattern first to check the knife will fit then transfer that pattern to the leather. Personally I drill my stitch holes and use a rolling marker to line up where the holes will go. You can get a little tool which scribes a shallow 'trench' out for the thread to pull below the leather line, but on your initial effort I suggest you just practise getting the stitches equally tight and the same distance apart.

Hope this helps you on your way. WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS ADDICTIVE

Just thought .... if you do sew up a scabbard for a knife don't forget to sew the belt loop first, because once the main sewing is done you can't get in to sew the loop .... no need to ask me why I know that :-( but I was a fast learner.

Edited by Walker570