David Beckham on a shoot with Guy Ritchie

Jason_ox

What a ******* joke haha I gave up half way through reading it. TBH I got bored with reading how good he looked and how much he spent looking that good. **** like this as always does us no good. I'm on my first shoot of the season this sat and I can quite assure you none of us have a fraction of this pair of idiots money. Where all working class. Game shooting along with hunting is not just for the eilite. Most have to work and save just to have one really good top class shoot per season.

Rant over

Just thinking on the Glass of Wine thing........ everyone I know who shoots wouldn't dream of drinking while shooting. Not at clays and not while out game or pigeon shooting. Driven shoots are not my thing and I've never been asked to one or paid for a days Driven pheasant or grouse. But it sure looks fun, but......a bloody good lunch including Bloody Mary's to start followed by a decent Claret with nosh and finished with a bloody good port seem to be part of the day on very expensive corporate days. Has anyone watched The Shooting Party, a film starring James Mason? I think I'm just jealous. Has anyone experienced an organised shoot where the refreshment was liquid?

Fair play to Beckham- he's a hugely successful global icon to many and has wisely invested much of the trappings along the way. As a Scotsman I can honestly say I like the guy (former England captain and all!!)

If we were as rich we'd no doubt be doing the same on our rich mates private estate, draped in the best of gear. It's good to see a high profile celebrity out on a shoot- we all get annoyed with the badger huggers like Brian May/packman etc spouting their mince so hopefully he had a good time and becomes as hooked as us all and promotes our sport

Fair play to Beckham- he's a hugely successful global icon to many and has wisely invested much of the trappings along the way. As a Scotsman I can honestly say I like the guy (former England captain and all!!)

If we were as rich we'd no doubt be doing the same on our rich mates private estate, draped in the best of gear. It's good to see a high profile celebrity out on a shoot- we all get annoyed with the badger huggers like Brian May/packman etc spouting their mince so hopefully he had a good time and becomes as hooked as us all and promotes our sport

Ditto 👍

Has anyone experienced an organised shoot where the refreshment was liquid?

Yes, although there was a pork pigeon offer if you wanted.

I am not promoting excessive alcohol on a shoot day, but a little nip on the peg and a glass at lunch is all part of the day (a days shooting is not just about pulling the trigger).

Just thinking on the Glass of Wine thing........ everyone I know who shoots wouldn't dream of drinking while shooting. Not at clays and not while out game or pigeon shooting. Driven shoots are not my thing and I've never been asked to one or paid for a days Driven pheasant or grouse. But it sure looks fun, but......a bloody good lunch including Bloody Mary's to start followed by a decent Claret with nosh and finished with a bloody good port seem to be part of the day on very expensive corporate days. Has anyone watched The Shooting Party, a film starring James Mason? I think I'm just jealous. Has anyone experienced an organised shoot where the refreshment was liquid?

I think we had the same discussion last year, and I agree, going for a days decoying with a crate of Stella isn't the done thing. However I see a sloegasm at lunch on a driven day as part and parcel of the social side, and since you have probably eaten your weight in pork pie and cake, there is plenty to soak it up! By all means save the proper boozing until afterwards ( which makes for some interesting calls to taxi companies!)

If I was Beckham or Guy Ritchie, the idiot with the camera would have had it inserted internally!

Since driven shooting isn't your thing, it perhaps isn't useful promulgating an archaic stereotype? I also love "The Shooting Party," but it was based in Edwardian times and in any event, there wasn't that much drinking - except by the beaters and keeper in the pub the night before the big day.

My experience of driven shooting is that Guns drink little during the day - I don't count a swig or two from a hip flask over the space of several drives as "drinking" - and most drive home.

Tbh it's the drive home that's the concern for me.

I'm a shooter, and won't ever condemn other types of shooting, as United we stand, divided we fall, but to jump into your landie after a day's shooting, with a few swigs of whiskey, a sloe gin or two, and a claret or so at lunch, and then hoon off down darkened country lanes with a shotgun or two in the boot?

I get the "plenty of pork pie and lunch to soak it up" argument, but unless you fire up the breathalyser before you turn the key, how do you know that you're legal, and safe? The red top papers would love a story about the "privileged posh shooting toff who was done for drunk driving with a purdey in the boot, after a day spent murdering defenceless birds", and that's the positive outcome - mangling five kids in a fiat 500 is another possibility.

I've not shot a driven day, and so have no idea about the sobering effect of walking several miles and eating half a beef rib joint and the trimmings, but surely if you can afford to knock out 500 quid on a day shooting, a cab or a travelodge aren't beyond reach?

Tbh it's the drive home that's the concern for me.

I'm a shooter, and won't ever condemn other types of shooting, as United we stand, divided we fall, but to jump into your landie after a day's shooting, with a few swigs of whiskey, a sloe gin or two, and a claret or so at lunch, and then hoon off down darkened country lanes with a shotgun or two in the boot?

I get the "plenty of pork pie and lunch to soak it up" argument, but unless you fire up the breathalyser before you turn the key, how do you know that you're legal, and safe? The red top papers would love a story about the "privileged posh shooting toff who was done for drunk driving with a purdey in the boot, after a day spent murdering defenceless birds", and that's the positive outcome - mangling five kids in a fiat 500 is another possibility.

I've not shot a driven day, and so have no idea about the sobering effect of walking several miles and eating half a beef rib joint and the trimmings, but surely if you can afford to knock out 500 quid on a day shooting, a cab or a travelodge aren't beyond reach?

Then don't do it...simple! It has been going on for decades; how often do you hear of a shooting member breathalysed on the way home from a shoot? I can't say it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard of one around here in all the years I've been shooting, and this is BIG shooting country.

• 2 weeks later...

port to start and choose peg. Maybe a half at lunch then home after the afternoon drives. Hardly slurring words and stumbling round half cut...

How many people go to the pub each night have a few and drive home.. A car is as deadly as a gun.. More so in most circumstances...

Same here , cup of tea with breakfast , drop of damson gin with nibbles at elevenses and a half with lunch , this is over about 7 hours with food etc, all very enjoyable and sociable . The drive home was about 4 hours after lunch, surely it would be out of my system by then? Does anyone know the scientific answer ? I think it is about 1 hr per unit of alcohol.

Charlie T spot on. Having said that don't look at my Landie because I would never get a job with y'alll :-) Still, I'm the customer.

Had a day with Richard G on here at Scrivelsby Court, the Keeper and his wife were both dressed in the same tweeds and looked immaculate. The shoot room was the same, spotless and of course the sport was even better as a result. It is also good manners to turn up as a gun on such a day looking tidy and dressed appropriately.

Edited by Walker570