Profiteering

Just. Bought 1000 Gamebore Velocity + from my local RFD. The price has increased by £20 since two weeks ago.

"It's all about the exchange rate" says the guy behind the counter.

"They're made in the U.K." Says I.

"Ahh, but all the components are imported" says he.

I'll guarantee that these carts were made months ago. Somebody is seriously taking the yellow stuff!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't matter how long ago they were made if the value of the commodity has increased. You wouldn't be complaining if your gold coins went up in value, even though they were made years ago and purchased for a lower price.

Just in case you wanted to see the graph for lead $ per tonne. Then we look at the value of the $ to the £... It adds up.

9kDGzYu.png

Edited by Billy.

Interesting..roughly a 17% increase since May do you have a grapth that goes back to when the price dropped from it's peak when it was 60% higher than it is today? Even taking into account the drop in the £ surley costs can't have gone above the threshold used as the justification to put the prices up last time. Even oil has come down

What gets me is that even in Euros if 1 =£1) cartridges are cheaper in Europe.

Edited by Paul1440

It doesn't matter how long ago they were made if the value of the commodity has increased. You wouldn't be complaining if your gold coins went up in value, even though they were made years ago and purchased for a lower price.

Just in case you wanted to see the graph for lead $ per tonne. Then we look at the value of the $ to the £... It adds up.

9kDGzYu.png

gold prices goes up and down,so does lead,why does the the price of cartridges stay up when the price of lead falls???,price of cartridges goes up when lead price rise :hmm:

gold prices goes up and down,so does lead,why does the the price of cartridges stay up when the price of lead falls???,price of cartridges goes up when lead price rise :hmm:

Because you usually buy (and sell) gold at a price which the market dictates. When you buy a product containing a commodity, you will pay above the market rate and it's usually inflated way beyond what the spot price is and isn't very volatile.

Look at petrol vs a barrel of oil as an example.

Edited by Billy.

Can't blame the rfd, he's gotta make a few quid or where will you get them next time?

The supplier set the cost price.

Maybe if it wasn't for Brexit the manufacturers could of swallowed the increase in lead price, who knows! On a brighter side, George's cartridges are still are bargain, more so now than ever!!

Just. Bought 1000 Gamebore Velocity + from my local RFD. The price has increased by £20 since two weeks ago.

"It's all about the exchange rate" says the guy behind the counter.

"They're made in the U.K." Says I.

"Ahh, but all the components are imported" says he.

I'll guarantee that these carts were made months ago. Somebody is seriously taking the yellow stuff!!!

hello, just bought some my self what did you pay ?

hello, just bought some my self what did you pay ?

£170, his final remark was "good job you didn't want game cartridges"!!!

Can't blame the rfd, he's gotta make a few quid or where will you get them next time?

The supplier set the cost price.

Maybe if it wasn't for Brexit the manufacturers could of swallowed the increase in lead price, who knows! On a brighter side, George's cartridges are still are bargain, more so now than ever!!

I'll be ringing round before I buy next time, so potentially I'll be getting them somewhere else.

I am trying to remember how much I paid for cartridges in October 2007, when lead was double today's price.

Or in December 2008, when lead was half today's price.

post-75754-0-06447800-1478011281_thumb.gif

Source: http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=lead&months=120

Yes, but lead was double the price. You half the value of the lead if the exchange rate is double.

Provided lead is universally priced in dollars like oil.

My point remains that when the cartridges were manufactured there wasn't the premium on lead or the exchange rate, the extra £20 is pure profit.

My point remains that when the cartridges were manufactured there wasn't the premium on lead or the exchange rate, the extra £20 is pure profit.

Most commodities are traded in US dollars, so there's that to consider.

Heaven forbid that the RFD might be making a tiny bit of profit and keeping themselves fed... I don't have a business degree, but I'm fairly sure you need to make some profit to stay afloat and safe in times of austerity.

I wasn't aware that like foodstuff, that carts had a manufactured date stamp on them :-)

So maybe they were made last year or last week.

As to lead- it's not the only component old chap that could have been imported!!!!!

I wasn't aware that like foodstuff, that carts had a manufactured date stamp on them :-)

So maybe they were made last year or last week.

As to lead- it's not the only component old chap that could have been imported!!!!!

The cases are imported (probably primed already), as is the powder and the lead. No idea about wads.

Peanuts !!! No not the cost of cartridges, the cost of, yes, peanuts. Just made my usual order of two 25kg bags supplied to the door and they have gone from £25 last time, 6 mths ago to £35 a bag this time and my suppliers one of the cheapest I have found. Imports are bound to rise with the drop in the £ but everything we want to sell overseas is going to be like hot cakes to the buyer, plus lots of dollars pouring in from tourists too. Swings and roundabouts.

I run a company called Dogtra UK. All my products are imported from France. The pound has dropped so far it is coming to a point where I must increase the cost to the customer or I will actually be selling at a loss. This is something many customers find hard to believe as the product is so expensive in the first place.

One thing I do know though is that the economists wanted this and was likely to happen regardless of Brexit as they wanted to export more than they import.

In real terms cartridges have never been as cheap as they are now !

If you think of the price of 1000 budget clay cart as a percentage of the average weekly wage ( even min wage) then compare this to 20 years ago

'In real terms' Rip Off Britain did not get that title for nothing ! :yes: