Quiet year for foxy

dob

Where have they gone....how about gettin shot via night vision thermal image etc.. foxy dosent know your there nowadays.. hi tech has put the shooter so far ahead nowadays what chance do they really have against the it theres very little sport/field craft in driving along with a nv spotter then shooting via thermal image at a target obvilious to your being there...

Where have they gone....how about gettin shot via night vision thermal image etc.. foxy dosent know your there nowadays.. hi tech has put the shooter so far ahead nowadays what chance do they really have against the it theres very little sport/field craft in driving along with a nv spotter then shooting via thermal image at a target obvilious to your being there...

Yes , they are a bit anti social and you may be correct. I have one fox which wanders through my wood. Doesn't cause me a problem and mops up any squirrels I leave for him or the buzzard. One farm where I specifically control foxes first, initially in May/June and July we saw three four five a night just from two high seats. Now we are rarely seeing any, although one left it's calling card in the stock yard so there is one at least.

Now you make me think about it. Yes, it has been a quiet year so far.

Edited by Walker570

Plenty here amongst the housing/industrial estates ,not so the woods.M8 had 5 off his Pheasant shoot last Wednesday night and i saw a beast last night driving home big bushy tailed full winter coat.He was off to the local power station for his supper i guess.

Spent a fruitless 5 hours after a sneak thief at the local chicken farm but he,s not been back in 3 weeks after 1 suicidal bird jumped the fence and the fox legged it in front of a very angry farmer with a mouth full of his chicken.

I understand what u say about nv but we lamp over 6,000 acres we may see 1 a night ,none of our neighbouring keepers use nv either.this time of year we are normally still get this springs Cubs that are obviously fully grown but this year we are seeing next to nothing , don't get me wrong it's great for our birds but it's just a bit puzzling.

It is called vermin control not sport.

They may be vermin to those whose income and livelihood are affected by their predations but I would guess 90% of those shooting them are doing so purely for sport and enjoyment.

You can't tell me that they spend thousands of pounds on equipment for altruistic reasons to increase the income of sheep farmers and pheasant shoots.

I would hate to see the day when one could not go out and not see a fox going about his business. Perhaps the time has come to license night vision and thermal imaging scopes and only those who can demonstrate, for example, loss of income are able to obtain a license to use and own one.

They may be vermin to those whose income and livelihood are affected by their predations but I would guess 90% of those shooting them are doing so purely for sport and enjoyment.

You can't tell me that they spend thousands of pounds on equipment for altruistic reasons to increase the income of sheep farmers and pheasant shoots.

I would hate to see the day when one could not go out and not see a fox going about his business. Perhaps the time has come to license night vision and thermal imaging scopes and only those who can demonstrate, for example, loss of income are able to obtain a license to use and own one.

We think alike, I have a vested interest in pest control, as do you, but I do find the shooting for shooting sake a bit vulgar. It's only the last two years that we've started controlling fox due to a poultry enterprise, had lots of people asking to fox on the land, it's always been a 'no', they didn't bother us.

Well said this whole "vermin" answer is laughable unless you are fiancally impacted directly your doing it for the sport, going after cubs for example then complaing the numbers are down...what do you expect....lol i shoot them when lambs are out but have no interest rest of year each to their own nature is being overtaken by the ability of man to kill it quicker than it can reproduce....

No body shoots for shooting sake,we do it because we enjoy it but must not classify shooting foxs as sport.Try applying for any fox calibre and stating your reason as sport.

NV is a sutable tool for the job, an as far as licencing it 'well that could be said for guns be it SG or FAC maybe only those with the relavent business in Vermin control shout be able to obtain them.

No body shoots for shooting sake,we do it because we enjoy it but must not classify shooting foxs as sport.Try applying for any fox calibre and stating your reason as sport.

NV is a sutable tool for the job, an as far as licencing it 'well that could be said for guns be it SG or FAC maybe only those with the relavent business in Vermin control shout be able to obtain them.

+1

Says vermin on mine not sport

+1

Says vermin on mine not sport

I feel you have both missed the point.

No one is suggesting that foxes are not classed as vermin or that to be granted a FAC one must demonstrate a quarry species or type.

Rather, I I question the motive that some, as a means to justify their reason for shooting their chosen quarry, cite vermin control rather than the true reason which is because they enjoy the sport of quarry shooting.

I feel you have both missed the point.

No one is suggesting that foxes are not classed as vermin or that to be granted a FAC one must demonstrate a quarry species or type.

Rather, I I question the motive that some, as a means to justify their reason for shooting their chosen quarry, cite vermin control rather than the true reason which is because they enjoy the sport of quarry shooting.

No mate,I enjoyed it but i don't ( didnt)refer to it as sport,thats what the antis accuse us of 'shooting animals for sport'

I gave it up because i stopped enjoying it,but i never called it sport.Had i only been shooting target at competition level than it could be deemed as sport.

Edited by Davyo

Dob - I'm only a few miles down the road from you and it's been very quiet on the fox front for at least 18 months. Rabbit numbers have been low too but hares and badgers are doing well, muntjac spreading, roe thriving as are fallow.

It feels as if something is going on - I used to see polecats, stoats and weasels around the Downs (up to 3 or 4 years ago) but don't anymore. Apart from deer it's all badgers, not sure where the other mammals have gone. I blame mountain bikers (!!).

Hi LW,

Plenty round me, the way I shot the other night there's still going to be plenty too.I MISSED 3 Thursday night:-( and don't worry I've given myself a right good kicking.

Just been out and checked zero on my usual NV rifle, and took my Swarovski off my Sako and put on a leupold VX 111 and Archer fitting on it. Zero good as usual so I'm out trying that when I get my fingers off my tablet.

Hi John - have a good time tonight. I'm probably going out for fallow tomorrow. Must (MUST) get up to Garlands for the next one! No foxes for me (on the PC doing CAM - or rather not, but instead listening to an 80's/90's back catalogue on YouTube and PW'ing)!! KLF is up next ..............followed by some PIL.

Edited by LeadWasp