Remembrance

Doc Holliday

Today is Remembrance Day, lest we not forget.

I find myself wondering, of all those who have spoken with such vitriole of those who voted to leave the EU and the pro-Trumpers, how many will be wearing a Poppy and taking time out of their day today, and Sunday, to remember those who gave their lives defending democracy in wars and conflicts that arose out of intolerance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, we will remember them.

Poppy being worn with pride.

+1.

On Sunday, my 7 year old Grandson who is in the Cubs, will be marching to our local Cenotaph to lay a wreath. He will be wearing his great, great grandfather's second world war medals, and his great, great, great grandfather's first world war medal.

Beating today on a big shoot. We will stop at 11 am in between drives or in the middle of one.

+1.

On Sunday, my 7 year old Grandson who is in the Cubs, will be marching to our local Cenotaph to lay a wreath. He will be wearing his great, great grandfather's second world war medals, and his great, great, great grandfather's first world war medal.

I done my years with the cubs and scouts marching to lay a wreath, it was normally followed by a church service. Edited by rimfire4969

I find myself wondering, of all those who have spoken with such vitriole of those who voted to leave the EU and the pro-Trumpers, how many will be wearing a Poppy and taking time out of their day today, and Sunday, to remember those who gave their lives defending democracy in wars and conflicts that arose out of intolerance.

What's the link between the two?

Whilst I have no real view on Trump - save he's crass - and voted to Remain, why would having contrary views affect a person's view on Remembrance? If anything, people with such nationalistic views will probably place even more emphasis on such events.

I have no time for the White Poppy brigade and all who cannot be bothered to contribute to the appeal.

I would have thought that pro Brexiter's in the UK would be more inclined to wear a Poppy and honour the occasion.

It seems to be those that didn't get the vote they wanted are the intolerant ones.

Crass.

???? Explain?

The OP was eluding that those that voted to exit the EU would be less likely to to honour those that sacrificed there lives during conflict. Bremoaners appear to cast aspersions at those that voted to quit the EU at any opportunity.

Poppy wearer and alarm set to remind me a minute before 11am, so I can take time out of a meeting.

My relatives weren't killed in Gaza or shot at at Cambrai for someone to use remembrance to make a cheap political point. I find it absolutely disgusting, along with your response.

???? Explain?

The OP was eluding that those that voted to exit the EU would be less likely to to honour those that sacrificed there lives during conflict. Bremoaners appear to cast aspersions at those that voted to quit the EU at any opportunity.

Poppy wearer and alarm set to remind me a minute before 11am, so I can take time out of a meeting.

He was using remembrance to make a political point which I take great issue with. It's no secret that I am pro-remain, but how dare he suggest I am any less likely to remember the sacrifices of my forebears and their comrades.

I think he was suggesting that Brexit supporters were less likely due to being intolerant. I suggested that pro-remain supporters were more likely to look for any opportunity to cast Brexit supporters in a bad light.

He was using remembrance to make a political point which I take great issue with. It's no secret that I am pro-remain, but how dare he suggest I am any less likely to remember the sacrifices of my forebears and their comrades.

Allow me to explain my point. Firstly, I wasn't making any political statement. It is my opinion and nothing more.

Penelope was on the right track but it was the Bremainers it was aimed at for they have done whinging on an unprecedented magnitude which, in my opinion, showed them as being intolerant and anti-democratic. Therefore I feel it has every justification that, given those who have given their lives to defend democracy, it would be seen as hypocritical that they shoould choose to wear a poppy.

The fact that you choose to attack my opinion and call it crass simply bolsters the point. How can you say you wear your poppy with pride when people like you attack so vehemently those with a different opinion to that which you hold? The fact you have lost relatives in conflicts is something that no one should endure but, sadly, they do which ought to lead to a greater understanding of the value of democracy and tolerence and not a closed mind to views and opinions of others.

1100 hours is looming so I will pay my respects to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

Allow me to explain my point. Firstly, I wasn't making any political statement. It is my opinion and nothing more.

Penelope was on the right track but it was the Bremainers it was aimed at for they have done whinging on an unprecedented magnitude which, in my opinion, showed them as being intolerant and anti-democratic. Therefore I feel it has every justification that, given those who have given their lives to defend democracy, it would be seen as hypocritical that they shoould choose to wear a poppy.

The fact that you choose to attack my opinion and call it crass simply bolsters the point. How can you say you wear your poppy with pride when people like you attack so vehemently those with a different opinion to that which you hold? The fact you have lost relatives in conflicts is something that no one should endure but, sadly, they do which ought to lead to a greater understanding of the value of democracy and tolerence and not a closed mind to views and opinions of others.

1100 hours is looming so I will pay my respects to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

Poor point, badly made.

Keep up the good work...

It's shocking how many do not observe the respectful silence!

Like the two plasterers working across the road from my house. Whistling, laughing and up and down the scaffolding ladder the whole two minutes.

Disgusting! It doesn't take much to stop work for two minutes once a year, does it?