Advice on chainsaw please

herby

I started off wanting a Husqvarna 236 for £130 then was told they suffered problems, so then went onto the newer version 135.

Then was told to look at the 435, now I have narrowed it down to a 555 or 550xp

What one would be recommended?

It is mainly for cutting rounds.

Thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the 555 xp not a pro saw thats tuned and has all the electrics on board. I have a 365 xt as its the detuned version of racier 372 xp. If your just general logging and cutting firewood the Echo CS-420-ES is a great saw and much lighter. My dad has the echo and i pick it up rather than my 365 xt. The echo is japanese uses less fuel less noise and fumes and a lot easier on your body if using for long periods, the 365 will run through big logs all day long. If i was buying again for occational use it would be the Echo.

It is expensive but it has a shelf life of more than five years. At the garden machinery place where I work, a large proportion of the problems of chainsaws and trimmer are old fuel related and require the carb to be cleaned out. That doesn't happen with aspen.

For occasional users of chainsaws it's probably the best preventive maintenance you can do.

Also we get more and more classic bike owners buying it for winter storage.

The smaller the bar the faster the cut, so if a 18" bar will do what you need happy days. I went for a 20" on mine as it's in the middle and it's plenty quick enough when sharp.

Be careful and wear the safety kit as it's like a motocross bike engine in your hands. Very impressive when in the cut.

If you do put a 24" bar on cut out the baffle in the transfer port and retune it, it then runs like the pro saw.

Edited by figgy

24" of course or you will always wish you had a bigger one!

I was thinking bigger haha

The smaller the bar the faster the cut, so if a 18" bar will do what you need happy days. I went for a 20" on mine as it's in the middle and it's plenty quick enough when sharp.

Be careful and wear the safety kit as it's like a motocross bike engine in your hands. Very impressive when in the cut.

If you do put a 24" bar on cut out the baffle in the transfer port and retune it, it then runs like the pro saw.

If using a 18 inch would I be better getting the 555 then