Firewood, prickley?

fieldwanderer

Huh, I love elm! It dies at perfect firewood size and dries standing. Always thought it burnt well enough and gives out plenty of heat.

+1

but if it is a size that you have to split it, it is a right mare. I have always found that by the time a dead elm has fallen down it has seasoned perfectly. but then again I have never had to cut a live one down.

Old Boy Scout rhyme from years back when we cooked over real fires, not gas, and had to learn the burning properties of wood.

These hardwoods burn well and slowly

Ash, beach, hawthorn, oak and holly.

Softwoods flare up quick and fine

Birch, fir, Hazel, larch and pine.

Elm and willow you'll regret

Chestnut green and sycamore wet.

It sounds like Elm.

"Elm: Commonly offered for sale. To burn well it needs to be kept for two years. Even then it will smoke. Very variable fuel".

"Willow: Poor. It must be dry to use, and then it burns slowly, with little flame. Apt to spark."

The main advantage with Willow is that its so poor, that its usually given away.

It sounds like Elm.

"Elm: Commonly offered for sale. To burn well it needs to be kept for two years. Even then it will smoke. Very variable fuel".

"Willow: Poor. It must be dry to use, and then it burns slowly, with little flame. Apt to spark."

The main advantage with Willow is that its so poor, that its usually given away.

You do some strange things to wood...

I just had 5tonne of logs delivered from the parks trust all hardwood for £319.

We're only going for two nights 😁

The logs I cut up have been sat on a pile of rubble (so, off the ground) all the time I've had this permission (3 yrs) I don't know about before that. Hopefully it'll burn fine, if not I've only lost about 2hrs and 1/4 pint of fuel

Edited by fieldwanderer