Nissan Navaras breaking in half

norfolk dumpling

My shepherd had his bought back from Nissan, 09 plate, he paid to have the chassis welded, Nissan paid 1k on the market price, and gave him a brand new vehicle to use until they collected his van.

3 weeks ago.

I have a funny feeling Nissan may have also bought my mates back off him.

I think its corrosion of the chassis that causes them to snap.

Its NOT corrosion ! The chassis just rips behind the cab . But they also have had problems with the steel inserts that stop the wheel nuts pulling through alloy wheels falling out, Plus the Engines single chain snapping wrecking the heads.

This was discussed a couple of weeks ago. The Facebook group makes for interesting reading

Its NOT corrosion ! The chassis just rips behind the cab . But they also have had problems with the steel inserts that stop the wheel nuts pulling through alloy wheels falling out, Plus the Engines single chain snapping wrecking the heads.

Lots of the images on the Facebook group all show chassis corrosion.

post-9375-0-82084500-1480867902_thumb.png

Edited by stuey

Just out of interest, anyone know what guage steel the chassis are.

it would make no difference with repair. you would have to replace the complete chassis i would imagine if its that far back. only normally front or rear section can be repaired. the main reason is the cost in the job is removing body and running gear. once you have done that a vehicle of that age would be close without looking at repair methods

it would make no difference with repair. you would have to replace the complete chassis i would imagine if its that far back. only normally front or rear section can be repaired. the main reason is the cost in the job is removing body and running gear. once you have done that a vehicle of that age would be close without looking at repair methods

Didnt really answer the question i asked but thanks.

Didnt really answer the question i asked but thanks.

sorry mate. the gauge of the steel in modern cars is quite irrelevant as most cars have different types of steel all the way through the body {some could be up to 40 i think}. from the outside non structual panels being made of mild steel to inner panels made of ultra high strength steel in the safety cell pillars side imact bars etc. the modern steels had to develop to be high strength but still weigh less. the reason being cars were being made of aluminium and it would kill the steel automotive trade. with all these different steels there is a huge difference in repairs, where you can join, how you can join and most importantly what you can use to join. many techniques are used from rivets, adhesives mig braze, mag, inverter spot welders to mention a few.

sorry if i bore you i work with cars all day long and hate it. i am quite surprised i am talking about it on a shooting forum lol.

sorry mate. the gauge of the steel in modern cars is quite irrelevant as most cars have different types of steel all the way through the body {some could be up to 40 i think}. from the outside non structual panels being made of mild steel to inner panels made of ultra high strength steel in the safety cell pillars side imact bars etc. the modern steels had to develop to be high strength but still weigh less. the reason being cars were being made of aluminium and it would kill the steel automotive trade. with all these different steels there is a huge difference in repairs, where you can join, how you can join and most importantly what you can use to join. many techniques are used from rivets, adhesives mig braze, mag, inverter spot welders to mention a few.

sorry if i bore you i work with cars all day long and hate it. i am quite surprised i am talking about it on a shooting forum lol.

I,just wondered if the jap chassis were anywhere near the thickness of Landrover chassis. You didnt bore me, i spent a bit of time in a fabrication shop. :good:

I just do not get it in this day and age how on earth can they make cars/trucks out of steel and not protect it properly from going rusty I have noted that Japanese cars that are made outside of Japan seem to have better rust protection than those made in Japan quite why this should be I do not understand.

Apparently the Japanese don't salt their roads. Mind you my CR-V was factory undersealed - dunno where they are made though.