What bino's

gerron

I used to use a pair of Hawke premier,thought they where ok£70 and only used them for shooting.Since retiring from shooting I've got back into birdwatching but the Hawke were just not up to it.So bit the bullet this week and purchased a pair of Ziess from Uttings.They where about £950 rrp and discounted to £685,got a further £35 knocked off.Wow what a difference,will be down at Saltholme on Friday giving them a proper road test.

Edited by Davyo

Sort out what magnification and objective size you want first. The general rules seem to be that;

• 8x or 10x are best for most applications (12x and more get more shake and less light)
  • For low light use, larger objectives (i.e. 40mm upwards) let more light in, but for use in good light smaller is very adequate and significantly cheaper
  • Expensive names ARE better, but only marginally so under good light, more significantly so as light deteriorates (better coatings and glass)
  • IF you wear glasses - go for a pair with adequately long eye relief (the distance the eyepiece rear lens can be from the eye). Short eye relief is a pain with glasses. Most have adjustable eyepieces to allow for glasses users, but be sure to try this works OK for you.
  • Big binos (i.e. things like 8 or 10 x 50) are great in low light, but are expensive, heavy, bulky and unnecessary for the vast majority of the time (yes I made that mistake of thinking that as they were so much bigger and more expensive they must be better!) Small (I use 8 x 20 much of the time) are easy to carry and have with you, and you can get very good ones (e.g. Leica, Swaroski, Zeiss are probably 'equal best') quite reasonably (compared to bigger glasses) because the lenses are smaller and so cheaper to make.

Finally, there is excellent value to be had second hand if you are prepared to consider that.

I'm looking for a new set of bino's and plan on picking up a pair when I'm in the states, I won't be spending 1000's on a pair of swaro's much as I'd like to !

Has anyone one got any ideas on a good pair that are reasonably priced ?

There is a pair of Opticon 8x42 on sale in the sales section now. Edited by Davyo

There is a really nice looking pair on the bay carl zeiss Jena 8*30 look brand new, 20 bids ends tomorrow.

I have a pair of 10*50 that I inherited and yes they are chunky but they are brilliant if the pair on sale are a good bit smaller and lighter could be a good buy

in lowlight? :hmm:

They very good indeed. I have used them occasionally from a high seat and can see rabbits along the wood side 100yrds away when the light has almost gone past my shooting time. I was surprised by how good they were considering the price. You pays your money and makes your choice these days and sometimes you pays for a 'Name' At this moment I am sitting here wearing a fleece jacket I purchased from Aldi for £7, I have almost lived in it every day this winter and it is snug and does the job in spades. I saw similar at the shooting show with the fancy firms name printed across the front for ten times that much.

I'm looking for a new set of bino's and plan on picking up a pair when I'm in the states, I won't be spending 1000's on a pair of swaro's much as I'd like to !

Has anyone one got any ideas on a good pair that are reasonably priced ?

have a look at image stabilizing bino's they really make a difference. Press the button and bam a stable shake free image