'Gardening' Leave

AVB

Feel rather sorry for people who say they get bored not going to work, I am 27 and would happily quit work tomorrow if had money still coming in. Dad retired from the police at 50 and he is loving it still 10 years on.

Have you considered restoring something? Old tractor, piece of furniture maybe to keep you busy?

Ha ha. If you knew me you would realise how futile anything like that would be. I have been reading Ditchman's posts about restoring engines etc and am in awe. Mind you I did replace two light switches today without electrocuting myself which is something.

I think a lot of it is down to what pension you have got and what other money you have it is easy for people to say that they do not get bored when they can afford to go on several long holidays a year even shooting is not exactly cheep playing golf is not cheap even running a 4x4 is not cheap or easy on a small pension.

Having said that a lot of older people have a strong work ethic and working gives them a reason to live a reason to get up every morning though playing games or shooting or holidays is fun it does not give any real meaning to life.

Having said that a lot of older people have a strong work ethic and working gives them a reason to live a reason to get up every morning though playing games or shooting or holidays is fun it does not give any real meaning to life.

What does that mean? I could understand from a spiritual sense if that's your thinking but just as working is a meaning for some for others it can be leisure. Isn't enjoying life whatever you do meaning enough?

What does that mean? I could understand from a spiritual sense if that's your thinking but just as working is a meaning for some for others it can be leisure. Isn't enjoying life whatever you do meaning enough?

It's all very subjective isn't it.

Not having a job gives you no meaning to life, yer right 😂

Lots of people go through their lives without having a 'respectable job' and live rich fulfilled lives.

Lots of people spend years of their lives sat behind a desk in an office they hate and miss out on times with their loved ones, then regret it all when it's too late!

For some people going on holiday and shooting every day would be a rich fulfilling life!

My official retirement date was Tuesday 21st (just past) but I'd been on holiday using up all my leave etc and even now I still think about work for short periods - but really - so glad to be out of it - gonna enjoy the rest of my life on my own terms :):good::yes:

Pushkin. At that age and stage you really need to ask why you are working and for whose benefit? :whistling:

Retired 11 years ago. Had 6 months gardening, fishing and shooting and then her in doors said get off your *** you lazy b so I got a p/t job doing something I liked - driving. Loving every minute but I do have a good pension, p/t earnings and now state pension so very lucky. Worryingly I keep getting tested for this that and the other : poo sticks, blood for heart etc etc. Stresses you something awful.

Pretty bad time of year to be off, season finished and not much happening in the field. Not even any hot summer weather to just lounge around in. I am very lucky to have a job in which I do occasionally get longish periods of time off, max a couple of months. But I do find myself very busy when I am off, even so for myself at least March into April is pretty quiet in the sporting field. Bit of trapping on the shoot and some deer stalking once the Bucks open, gave up on pigeons years ago. The drillings are not like they used to be, too clean with no spillage or surface corn for the birds.

Edited by scolopax

The other thing you could look at would be charity work, you might be a danger to yourself and others doing practical stuff but a couple of days a week doing charity work might help or like Norfolk dumpling says look at part time jobs, bar work is amazing in the right kind of pub. Then there is going back to college while you have the time look at short courses on electronics before you change any more switches ☺

ive blew my knee well i cant blame it i fell and all my weight landed on my left knee something gave and because my work wont let me use crutches ( i would look unprofessional ) they have effectively signed me off for the two months i was to use the crutches for im no impressed but i do lack a certain bit of mobility ive been buying shooting dvds and just bought a pile of stuff to knit nets , but back to occy health next monday my own doctor wednesday then physo so see what they come up will between them :rolleyes:

What that means is if all that you are doing is spending all of your time doing selfish things then a lot of us would see your life as being pointless and if you was to drop down dead apart from your family who would care or be affected by your death not me for shore.

Try and find a project - You need a reason to get up in the morning. The first time gardening, I blew it completely and lived like it was one long weekend - Getting up at 10, watching telly and only getting moving when Jeremy Kyle came on. Next time I started brewing, barbecueing/smoking and just generally acquiring something to do with my time.

Retirement is easy - All your mates are there to go play with. When you're gardening, all your mates are still at work

What that means is if all that you are doing is spending all of your time doing selfish things then a lot of us would see your life as being pointless and if you was to drop down dead apart from your family who would care or be affected by your death not me for shore.

Thats exactly the point. There is no yesterday only memories, there is no tomorrow only hopes and dreams, there is only now and that's just gone.

Bought a tent today. Not sure I'll persuade the Mrs to come along (if she does I bet she returns home of a night time)! Any recommended (novice) camp sites in Norfolk? Do people take their dogs with them when camping?

Bought a tent today. Not sure I'll persuade the Mrs to come along (if she does I bet she returns home of a night time)! Any recommended (novice) camp sites in Norfolk? Do people take their dogs with them when camping?

Dogs always go with us if we go away, planning to go camping this summer and will take all 7!