Spring Washers vs Nylock nuts

scotslad

Alright

Just been battering my knuckles of the underside of a dumper trying to bodge up a fix.

Got it done and should of been a simple enough job but just 1 of them ackward jobs.

Has anyone went back to using spring washers instead of locking nuts?

And is there places where u'd use 1 over the other?

I'd never seen them for a while but the new inronmongery place i go to has a good stock of most things,

I did think about buying spring washers for this job as i could of nipped it hand tight relatively easier instead off having to work 2 spanners/ratchet to tighten an 1" or 2 of threads.

And just to make matters worse the blooody catch on the ratchet head kept on catching and flipping the wrong way, GRRRRRRR

During my apprenticeship many moons ago it was 90%Springwasher use thats what we were taught.Nylock nuts have their uses in many applications but on engines and associated bits(big marine diesels,marine turbines and later HGV's)It was springwashers.

eBay has a huge range of spring washers of various types.

Nylocs too, in some very odd sizes too.

As written above, depends on the application.

I use nylocs extensively on my bikes, but on the engine, usually fine threads and correct torque. Exhaust, stainless spring washers.

Spring washers on anything that i might have to remove often, nylock on the rest. Spring washer, Loctite and nylock if i don't want it to move ever!

I've just corrected that for you.

Actually, if you are not undoing the fitting often, Loctite requires little effort to put on, but a lot more to remove.

Edited by amateur

Cheers folks its not so much for engine's (and never really thought about the heat aspect) more just general bodgeing, trailers, random tools and things.

Spring washers are just something i've never really used much or seen in the local ironmongers/agri merchants but they have most nylock sizes so i've alweays just bought nylock.

Another bizare question does it matter where u put the spring washer? Ie Does it have to be next to the nut?

Was thinking for when welding captive bolts can be a pita welding nylock nuts without melting the nylon (dunno if there is a correct way but i tend to either put a bolt in slightly and fill hole with water or stuff a soaking rag in the hoie, sort of works :good: but doesnae look very pretty :whistling: just made it up myself ), Could i weld a normal nut on and put the spring washer at bolt head side?

Ps Just thinking i suppose the above will be ok as with bolts into the engine there will be no nuts sometimes

Edited by scotslad

Spring washers just don't work any better than a standard washer if you've ever come across equipment where some of the spring washers are missing and some fitted you won't find the nuts loose on ones without. If not under heat nylock or lock nut every time,if it is exposed to heat you can buy nuts with a twin slot cut into them and bent to grip the thread like a nylock. I sometimes make my own with hacksaw and hammer. Threadlock is another good product.o

Double nuts are good,a backing locknut.

If your in a bind and need to have a nut not undo and run itself off when vibrated get a pop or punch and bend or bruise the last thread down, it will still go on without problem but will grip and not come off with fingers. If you forget and don't want to undo just bruise or bend the last thread on the bolt,can always file the thread back when nut needs removing

Edited by figgy

i like these little beautys, Nord Lock are the main manufacturer of them. Cracking bit of kit a lot more effective than spring washers and a lot less infuriating than nylocks. You put two on a bolt and they lock into each other, its amazing how much extra force they take to undo even if you just nip them up. If it does not have to come off then Loctite used properly and the correct type is also very very good however it needs clean surfaces to bond properly.

10-22122011-068244L.gif

• 3 weeks later...

i like these little beautys, Nord Lock are the main manufacturer of them. Cracking bit of kit a lot more effective than spring washers and a lot less infuriating than nylocks. You put two on a bolt and they lock into each other, its amazing how much extra force they take to undo even if you just nip them up. If it does not have to come off then Loctite used properly and the correct type is also very very good however it needs clean surfaces to bond properly.

10-22122011-068244L.gif

I'll vouch for how effective these little things are, we used have a lot of trouble with rollers and idler shafts coming loose on the stone separator on the farm I used to work on, one of the field engineers from Standen Engineering gave me a bag of Nord Lock washers to try and they instantly cured the problem. The joys of working in extremely stony soils.....they shake everything loose except these it seems!