May announes Foreign Aid will stay the same or rise

JRDS

Possibly.

Instead of doling out the dosh, why not find out what is required - let's say a dam to improve a water supply - get several UK civil engineering firms to tender for the work and select the best quote and get that firm to build it. Money goes where it should, UK jobs, the dam gets built and the locals who need clean fresh water get it. Win win surely.

Just a thought.

It sounds good but there are a few problems with it.

The UK firm comes out of it rather nicely but what about the engineering companies in the country that is receiving the aid payment? They lose out on a large payment, their workers don't get any work. The money that would have been paid to their workers isn't taxed within the country so it stays outside their system. That tax money then cannot be injected back into the country for futher improvements.

So yes, they get their clean water but they miss out on many other benefits the project could have created.

Essentially your idea "gives the man a fish" when we all know he needs to learn how to fish.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Far too sensible sir!

Sadly a lot of skimming here and there as human nature shows it's colours.

Actually, we've been doing this for decades - possibly even some 200 years. Usually in places where the British armed forces have had an historical presence. I expect you've heard of the company involved - The Royal Engineers.

I concede that DM has a point. Obviously, if there is local expertise available then it should be utilised with a UK company acting as project management to ensure (as far as is possible) financial control.

Interesting if you look on google at the corrupt regimes and countries the U.K. gives aid to.....and how much!

Somalia £86.8 mil... most corrupt country!

Libya £6.7 mil...

South Korea...£756,000

Afghanistan...£200.4 mil

Sudan.....£50.5 mil

Iraq....£5 mil

Uzbekistan....£1.6 mil

Turkmenistan....£416,000

South Sudan.....£107 mil

Syria....£38.5 mil

Zimbabwe....£139 mil, does any gets past Mugabe?

Dem Rep Congo.....£139

Pakistan.....197mil

And plenty more countries I imagine?

Anyone want to add that little lot up?

Interesting if you look on google at the corrupt regimes and countries the U.K. gives aid to.....and how much!

Libya £6.7 mil...

South Korea...£756,000

Afghanistan...£200.4 mil

Sudan.....£50.5 mil

Iraq....£5 mil

Uzbekistan....£1.6 mil

Turkmenistan....£416,000

South Sudan.....£107 mil

Syria....£38.5 mil

Dem Rep Congo.....£139

Pakistan.....197mil

Don't forget to factor in the number of visits by our MP groups - c10-20 in number - swanning in for a fortnight's fact finding tour.

Don't forget to factor in the number of visits by our MP groups - c10-20 in number - swanning in for a fortnight's fact finding tour.

Don't be stupid not even our MPs would want to visit them countries, not when they can attend global warming conferences in places such as the Seychelles or Mauritius.

Libya £6.7 mil...

South Korea...£756,000

Afghanistan...£200.4 mil

Sudan.....£50.5 mil

Iraq....£5 mil

Uzbekistan....£1.6 mil

Turkmenistan....£416,000

South Sudan.....£107 mil

Syria....£38.5 mil

Dem Rep Congo.....£139

Pakistan.....197mil

Countries the aid is spent in.

But if the disenfranchised don't vote then that leaves the door open to a wrong result,

Again, and only my opinion is that voting should be compulsory......

In which case vote for an independent......they rarely win but some of them actually stand for a local concern,

:shaun:

Or vote and spoil your ballot paper thereby registering your disenfranchisement

£4,000,000 given in aid by the U.K. to North Korea in the last six years!!!! Buying them the nuclear bombs with which to bomb us!....whilst our own people stand outside waiting for the food banks to open!

Whilst I agree that no-one in this country should have to rely on food banks, there are plenty who go to them because they want to, not because they need to. That, however, is perhaps for a different thread.

how hard can it be to lay a fresh water pipe system? obviously very difficult for some.

It's actually quite a lot of work, many years ago I was on a detail providing security for a group of gap year students connecting a water supply, and as all those 20 something hotties sweated in the sun while I drank ice cold beverages and played with my gun I couldn't help think to myself that wouldn't it have been far easier to have just set up the village closer to the water hole in the first place.

But in the scheme of things, a water system is pretty achievable, its not like building a telecommunications system, you would have thought that the governments of these countries would have at least had the urgency to insist on fresh water.......i mean how difficult can it be with billions of pounds in free money and knowledge, yet, another charity called water aid is required to sort it all out.

Edited by wandringstar