DIY indoor range

nabbers

Sometimes I want to tinker with my .22LR and play around with scope positions etc and venturing to my permission can mean a lot of prior arranging , I wondered about setting up a small range in a remote building I have use of. Distance would be 35- 40 feet, I think the old Miniature Rifle clubs must have shot over short ranges indoors like this, very common between the wars. But the thoughts of a .22LR round ricochet pinging about the building is a worry ...is there any low powered rounds available other than .22 shot shells ? And I guess the back stop is the key thing....sandbags? Sleepers? Tin hat?

There is a local club near me that uses a 25mt range indoors. They have a bank of sand built up at 45deg and a thick steel plate behind at an opposite angle pointing down works very well. It's hosed down every now and again to keep the dust down.

You can hear the crack of the rifle but it's a really dull thud hitting the sand. No hv rounds are allowed, but they use target rounds and plenty of them.

Would a 'range' not have to be approved by the Police?

I know some people set up their own zeroing stations on private land or their own huge gardens.

Do you have an open ticket?

Police hold no authority to authorise ranges. The authority is a military publication JSP I forget the number the range should be bulit in compliance with it have planning permission if needed and insurance the latter is the hard part.

Other informal shooting areas are self policed by the shooter and obviously not open to the public.

Oh the sand is unlikely to be at 45 dregress more likely 36 😜

CCI and other ammo brands ,do a 'quiet' or low powered .22lr round, usually about 50-60 ft pounds.

Although I always found them to be highly inaccurate for some reason, it may be the gun I used them in didnt like them.

Obviously you still need a backstop and a non deflective target holder.

The problem is , if you are wanting to use the range for zeroing or testing field ammo, this would not be much good to you.

Edited by Rewulf

I remember someone telling me that if you register your property as a 'range' or 'shooting gallery' you dont need an FAC

No idea if thats right as you need the FAC to purchase gun and ammo!

the person concerned was well into 'common law'

Found this in black and white tho!!!

http://www.guntradenews.com/comment/legal/legal-small-bore-and-the-law/

Edited by masmiffy

We had a 20m indoor live fire range in College.

There were two steel plates that were the backstops for the two firing points. Can't recall how thick they were, think it was c. 1". They were angled at 45 degrees.

These were surrounded by wooden slats, apart from just in front of the plates where we used plywood sheets with the target holes bored out, the ply was hung over that were hung on old election posters that covered the steel.

This took care of the splashback (old rounds being fired back down the range when a fresh round hit the pile.

there were some wooden baffles down the side of the range and a couple hanging from the ceiling so if someone really made an **** of themselves, the rounds would dig into wood and not ricochet.

Place was like that for 30 years and there was never an incident, apart from banging your head on the baffles from time to time.

I'll see if I can dig up some photos.

We have an indoor 25m HO Approved Range and a couple of years back went over to rubber crumb as a backstop.

Used to be steel angled down to sand - messy and lead splash a big problem.

So much nicer now with crumb and its just piled up into bays at an angle - it's the same they use at equestrian centres.

Range is limited at 475 foot pounds impact but rounds rarely go into the crumb more than 4 - 5 inches !

One more advantage is that the rounds come out almost like unfired apart from when its getting time to empty and they hit another bullet.

It then pays towards itself as guys buy the lead to re-cast as quality is that good.

ATB.

Edited by station