bullet1747

Firstly I wouldn't refer to sporting rifles as "weapons" because that isn't appropriate outside of military or law enforcement circles. Easy mistake I was in the army as well but remember my FEO picking me up on this year's ago. Target rifle is a valid purpose but not sure what quarry you would use it for,probably large deer.

Good luck mate..

Edited by Wingman

Firstly I wouldn't refer to sporting rifles as "weapons" because that isn't appropriate outside of military or law enforcement circles. Easy mistake I was in the army as well but remember my FEO picking me up on this year's ago. Target rifle is a valid purpose but not sure what quarry you would use..

Good luck mate..

Was thinking target but nearest range would be hour and half I recon , I'll give it a few months and try

Was thinking target but nearest range would be hour and half I recon , I'll give it a few months and try

Deer, surely?

Assuming you mean 7.62x51mm rather than one of the others, then it's just the parent case of the .243 you've already got - .308 Winchester. Arrange some stalking and ask for one. I used to shoot muntjac - amongst other things - with one until I sold it. With 180gr SPs too.

Agreed on the "weapons" thing, by the way. Weapons are for hurting people. Guns are for hunting.

Edited by neutron619

Yes, talking civilian use you would apply for a 308 Winchester and has you already have a 243 Winchester you would need to convince your licensing department you required a heavier calibre, so as suggested wild boar or even red stags at a pinch although there are still many who swear by the 243 for that job as well.

As already said, forget your military terminology.

My view is the 308 Win is probably the very best all round hunting cartridge, closely followed by the 7x57, unless you are going to be hunting dangerous game.

Edited by Walker570

.308 offers a better range of ammunition (& bullet) types over .243

More suitable for larger deer, etc.

Better for target shooting if you ever find a venue

That said never owned a true .308 (yet) but had a long loan of a 7.62 L1A1 a few decades back.

Got a nice Mosin 7.62x53R, but the bore slugs at .312, so good for .303 bullets

Picking up my .308 BDL Varmint soon.

It'll be the donor for an M40 build. Got all the parts except correct sling swivels.

Any benefit of a 308 if you've already got a 243??

I've got a 243 and a slot for a 17hmr but I don't want one after all the problems people have had with ammo.

Considered putting in for a 308 as good to try a club range shooting out to 600 yards soon, if I don't go for a 308 I'm also considering putting in for a 222/223 for some fun shooting, although not sure if there's any point if I have a 243 ??

What you have there Lloyd is good reason to acquire a 308 👍🏼people seem adverse to having multiple rifles or doing a variation to get a rifle because they fancy a change of calibre. As long as you can show good reason and your force don't take twenty years to do variations I can't see the problem with putting in for something to have a try. Most people do plenty of research before they jump into buying a gun anyway. I'm holding my foot up to do a variation because I'm up for renewal shortly but I want to get a 222 as a dedicated nv rifle to run alongside my other guns.

this ^^, i wanted one and got a variation but couldnt justify (afford :no: ) the 3k (approx) price tag !!

bought an akms instead.....almost as much fun for a fraction of the price :good:

There were X British army straight pull SLR,s for sale here for around £1200, as far as i know for some reason they could not be sold in mainland UK.

Shop | Young Guns - Registered Firearms Dealer - Northern Ireland, UK

www.young-guns.org.uk/shop/

Edited by ordnance

I did have on my ticket .22 .17 hmr and .22 hornet.

on renewal recently i added extra rimfire and asked for 6.5x55 ( much better than any 308. :D ) and just put in any legal quarry suitable for this caliber + sound mod.

and newer had any problem with getting it.

Now wait for .308 brigade hanging me and quartering for saying 6.5 is better.

i have one of the other 7.62's, the 3006, and also have a 243. I use the 243 for fox and roe, and the 3006 for forest reds. The reason is we need a more powerful rifle to stop large reds on forest edges, as the 243 lacks the knock down to stop them as quickly. It kills open hill reds well, but a 30 meter run into the forest may make a large deer almost impossible to recover, as they are so large and heavy dragging is incredibly difficult in dense pine. You cannot drag well on your hands and knees and even the argo with a winch would struggle, so pinned through the shoulders is the best way for us, in the environment we have, to properly stop big forest reds. The 3006 is about as powerful a round as you will get for whacking reds, and they throw 180 gn ammo very nicely.

I am sure there are better calibers, and all kinds of things that will be more popular, but the old 3006 works well for me and a couple of stalking pals and does exactly as we want

I've a few 7.62s for different tasks.

7.61x51 or 308 Winchester normal stalking.

7.62x39 very light easy to carry woodland roe rifle

308 Norma Magnum boar plains game (its what the 30-06 dreams of being and 300 win mag wishes it could be)

Within reason I could take any of them any time but the 308 Winchester is the most versatile.