Going rate per acre for shooting rights

Any one out there who may know the going rate for shooting rights in Essex.? I Know it varies according to the land with higher rates for plenty of woodland ,ponds etc but a rough idea would help.

In my experience the 'going rate' is whatever someone is prepared to pay. There is ALWAYS a higher bidder waiting in the wings (so to speak !).

Our landlord increased ours by 50% last year and it was as someone said if we don't accept there is a lot of others who would jump at 1000 acres. He did however increase our cover crop acreage but then rather spoilt the whole thing by having a massive tidy up effectively removing all the natural cover from unproductive corners, ponds etc etc. 'Words' were said at the end of shoot meeting and we have had to change our mix of birds as partridges shot reduced dramatically.

Thought you only paid for the actual acerage you shoot over and not the whole land the farmer owns. Such a high jump in price seems harsh, you raither haven't been paying enough or he is taking the wee wee.

Some farmers think they can charge the prices of top shoots rent for poor ground, see shoots disband regular due to this.

Have a search on here as there was a good thread on land prices for shooting.

Thought you only paid for the actual acerage you shoot over and not the whole land the farmer owns. Such a high jump in price seems harsh, you raither haven't been paying enough or he is taking the wee wee.

Some farmers think they can charge the prices of top shoots rent for poor ground, see shoots disband regular due to this.

Have a search on here as there was a good thread on land prices for shooting.

And so they should. In my personal opinion, having a group of people rearing pheasants, tramping and driving over the farm, with all the damage and inconvenience caused, warrants a decent income. I am always amazed that non shooting farmers allow it for a measly few £ an acre.

And so they should. In my personal opinion, having a group of people rearing pheasants, tramping and driving over the farm, with all the damage and inconvenience caused, warrants a decent income. I am always amazed that non shooting farmers allow it for a measly few £ an acre.

Sorry got to disagree, if farmers start charging high £ per acre it will push game/rough shooting back to when it was only the landed gentry and rich that could afford it.

As to people doing what they like on someone's land, I would have thought a paper agreement on the rules of what shooters can and cannot do on the land would help.

Most farmers are greedy by nature and when they get together and start talking two and two start making five.

Unless I knew land I rented was a bit too cheap I wouldn't stand a fifty percent increase in one year. What happens the following year when he thinks hmm I'll up it again they paid more last year.

Each to their own but for most of us it's a hobby not a living.

Afraid supply and demand has taken some rates to unbelievable heights here but cant comment on where you are.

Lucky that i have known my farms for up to 30ish years and most are still free although i have started giving them something extra at Xmas to try and stave off any others coming in but you never know for sure.

Out of the 25ish places only 2 have asked for something and straight away i thought someone was trying to get their feet in but the sums suggested were really only a token payment and way below their true worth.Both were mainly stalking places and superb ones at that and could command way bigger fees.

We run a DIY shoot on a farm in Essex. It's 300 acres and we pay £1,600 for rent of the land. This is all year for pigeon shooting if we want it and for the 3 bird pens and then every other Saturday to run the shoot during the season. We rear duck on the ponds and have a shoot cabin on the farm too. We pay the farmer for the cover crop each year and that is £1200. There always a few bottles of good scotch handed over during the season and a hamper for the Mrs at Xmas. The farm has had a shoot on it for over 40 years and so it's more tradition for the farmer than making money.

Thanks Graham for the info.We currently run a similar set up and have done for many years.However an additional 400 hundred acres on a neighbouring farm has been offered to us and not wishing to offend the farmer wanted some idea of the going rate.Giad to hear that you get on so well with your farmer.

As regards the additional 400 acres, I am sure you know what to look for as regards its potential for holding and showing birds to the guns, I would walk the ground, find out what you can and cannot do and go from there , if the ground is equal in potential to your exciting ground in its game holding/showing potential then you will have to offer the same per acre as your exciting shoot, farmers talk to one another.

I have 8 farms 2 estates and one forest block for a total cost of £0.

Think you should change your font colour from white to black. :)

Just for the shooting rights

I assume they were joking. What was on the land, just out interest?

I pay £1/acre for decent stalking land which I take about 30-40 deer off a year, seems fair to me.

That is roe and muntjac, if we had fallow down here it could easily turn to profit.