Ambitions / Plans for the coming game season (Pheasant / Partridge / D

Well I've started helping out on a local small shoot. I will be beating this season. Plus I've got my 6 year old step son helping out and will be beating on 2 days with me. Really looking forward to it. Have been asked to keep an eye on the land too as it's only just up the road. Win win in my eyes.

Have a tidy up in two of the woods. Doing that today, my 7 and 4 year old daughters are coming with me along with some of the other guns kids. They'll have a great day!

Build a second partridge pen as we're putting another 100down this year.

Shoot more regularly in the off season!

Edited by shalfordninja33

On our diy syndicate we have done a lot of work in our woods this year so hopefully that will hold the birds better. Also as the new shoot captain I want to change the drives a bit, well in some cases a lot. If it works everyone will be over the moon, if not my name will be mud. We are releasing more birds this year so as a nagging captain I want the guns to step up with the feeding and work including dogging in. I would like to find some more beaters who work for lunch and a drink or two and a day or two shooting.

I am getting a new pup soon so will have my work cut out there. But hope to beat with my older dog at least 3 day a week on the estate where I help out to top my 45 days last season.

I have 2 days driven grouse booked as well as about another 5 paid days. So with my 2 syndicates and beaters days I should be up to about 26 days plus an invite or two.

Bloody hell now I have written it down I'm not sure how I will fit it all in.

Were is the shoot that you require beaters ?

It in between Perranporth and Newquay. It's a diy shoot with all that goes with it including a lot of banter, some terrible shooting and chasing dogs and pheasants around on a Saturday but a good lunch and plenty of wine and beer.

Obviously a good walk out, children and grown ups welcome.

Drop me a pm if you want more info.

It in between Perranporth and Newquay. It's a diy shoot with all that goes with it including a lot of banter, some terrible shooting and chasing dogs and pheasants around on a Saturday but a good lunch and plenty of wine and beer.

Obviously a good walk out, children and grown ups welcome.

Drop me a pm if you want more info.

Ha, sounds the usual sat mayhem then.

Bit of a trek from Lancashire I fear.

Have a good season my friend 👍

Few things on my to do list this year.

Get my rearing shed finished for an experimental 225 partridges.

We have done the covers ourselves this year, so hopefully they will come good and be worth the work.

Just have one more drive to fine tune, it sort of works but not quite. I'm hoping for a nice flush of redlegs, that I reared, from a cover I drilled in a drive that I invented! Fingers crossed

This was the result of Saturday little tidy up in one of our syndicates 20 acre woods!

Took about 5 hours and 15 trips with the buggy, its all piled up next to the entrance awaiting collection by one of the farm workers will the load-all and trailer. The wood looks so much better now.

The plastic cylinders were tree shrouds used in a planting in the wood about 20 years ago, the tress have outgrown them and these were left on the ground, I've got no idea where the car tyres were from but there were about 25 scattered randomly throughout the wood.

post-33543-0-01967700-1496670102_thumb.jpg

For me:

* Improve my driven Shooting and get more familiar with my 20 bore.

* Do at least 25 days beating.

* Make every shoot day on our DIY shoot.

* Cover crops for the first time ever we have hand broadcast on our 3 acres of cover crops so hopping they will be a success, spread on Saturday and should be rolled this week! Mega fingers crossed here.

* Get a good supply of Game cartridges in before the season starts !

* As always keep learning as much as possible, Having seen IPS`s list I like the idea of doing a loaders course but have no idea how much it would cost !

:good:

Well I hope the one or two pairs of grey partridge I have on the shoot are not hatching chicks this weeks, not in this current cold wet miserable weather.

We have just planted some laurels to thicken up the flushing point on our main wood, and have a few hundred small privet bushes to plant in a bare spinney, but that will be done in later in the year. Also on the shoot there is another owl box to put up, I know where I want it but have to wait for harvest to get to the tree. We have a brood of Barn Owls currently in a box my brother built in a cattle shed at the farm itself. Also got an artificial to finish before winter.

As for game, giving up on releasing partridge, single digit returns. Too much disturbance and too many sparrowhawks and we do not have the best game cover for them. I will put the money towards either more pheasants and / or some split maize to add to the feed.

The major change this season is a new game crop, 1 1/2 acre, but thin and well away from our release pen. But hope some birds will find it as they should go well. It should make a drive out of otherwise a hundred acres of open arable.

On our diy syndicate we have done a lot of work in our woods this year so hopefully that will hold the birds better. Also as the new shoot captain I want to change the drives a bit, well in some cases a lot. If it works everyone will be over the moon, if not my name will be mud. We are releasing more birds this year so as a nagging captain I want the guns to step up with the feeding and work including dogging in. I would like to find some more beaters who work for lunch and a drink or two and a day or two shooting.

I am getting a new pup soon so will have my work cut out there. But hope to beat with my older dog at least 3 day a week on the estate where I help out to top my 45 days last season.

I have 2 days driven grouse booked as well as about another 5 paid days. So with my 2 syndicates and beaters days I should be up to about 26 days plus an invite or two.

Bloody hell now I have written it down I'm not sure how I will fit it all in.

How warm are those pods in the winter 😉

Matt,

Also hope our cover crops grow? They have had plenty of water since Saturday.

Have got another invitation for driven grouse which I am looking forward to. I will be using one of my dads guns on the day

Would love to shoot in the same line as my son on a driven day but he will be busy with his new job so this will have to wait.

Finally I would like to do a lot more duck flighting next season, only got out a couple of times last season due to work and family problems

That's sound like it could be work, during the shooting season!!! ............ give me a moment I need a sit down.

I could do with a long weekend away in the shooting season. Get them nice and toastie I might be able to drag a few more down lol

Matt,

Also hope our cover crops grow? They have had plenty of water since Saturday.

Have got another invitation for driven grouse which I am looking forward to. I will be using one of my dads guns on the day

Would love to shoot in the same line as my son on a driven day but he will be busy with his new job so this will have to wait.

Finally I would like to do a lot more duck flighting next season, only got out a couple of times last season due to work and family problems

Am sure beaters day may throw up the chance to shoot alongside Harry :good:

Have dropped to a half gun in my pheasant syndicate to see how season goes, nearly packed up as l find the whole shooting reared birds pushed over me a bit unappealing, more so as each season passes. Will stick to fowling and pigeons where you have to work for your birds. May well sell game guns before end of season

• 5 months later...

Had 2 days game and fowl with Mark Robson which were outstanding but been too busy with work but finished yesterday and hoping that me till Xmas.

Have fallen way behind with all feeding so started the ponds again today after 3 weeks not going.Have had 4 very good evenings but for 5 ponds and the amount of feeding it takes will have to start cracking them more.

Planning on getting all feeders filled this week and getting a few gigs on the geese sorted asap.Ground is absolutely sodden so struggling to get to all places so might leave them till a decent frost.Have changed the Jeep for a new motor but up to now has done all the old fella did and probably more as ive never seen the ground so wet at this time.

Not that great with Lymes the now but aim is to get out more and especially to sort out some places for the start of the bucks.Have been cutting brush with the new strimmer and its been making a huge difference and should have done it years ago.

Looking forward to some harder weather and have the eyes on some pigeons but will wait till the leaves are off a bit more.