The sheriffs are coming?

Twistedsanity

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has money and goods, I wouldn't be wasting my time with all the stress of courts if I didn't think it a worthy pursuit

He may have assets right now but could take steps to transfer them to his wife and out of reach. You may have to think about freezing his assets until matters are resolved. I think it's called a mareva injunction. Professional guidance may be necessary..

He may have assets right now but could take steps to transfer them to his wife and out of reach. You may have to think about freezing his assets until matters are resolved. I think it's called a mareva injunction. Professional guidance may be necessary..

Don't worry I have given him advice :) Edited by welsh1

Was he the cheapest,with quickest start date, no contract,not a member of governing body...........

No, not the cheapest, not the earliest start, no governing body(anyone can join them for a few quid), got 4 quotes, his was a written quote, schedule of works, spoke to a few people he had done jobs before, got his name, address, landlines and mobile number on all the paperwork, signed for all money, it took him 7 months though and he walked out on what should have been a 3 month job! I doubt he is clever enough to realise he needs.to hide assets as he seems.to be burying his head in the sand, he didn't even bother to file a defence and left me a voicemail saying he had the federation of Master builders representing him.in court (they have never heard of him)

I think in.the 80's when up could get away with a.lot more he was a builder of sorts and has been mainly doing groundwork for the last 20 years or so, it's not a total disaster but he didn't do much, he did the groundwork and had a bricky do all the blocks, a plasterer in to skim everything and it was only by luck that I have known the sparky's family for 40 years otherwise I would have been up the Creek trying to get someone else in to finish and sign off all the electrics, he did the painting badly,dot and dabbed the walls(no right angles anywhere) took 3 weeks to fit the kitchen!, to say he overestimated his abilities is understating things a little, I'm disabled and can't work due to having a shot back so was here every day which is why I recon it took 7 months instead of 3 as he couldn't cut so many corners with me watching, I did a land registry before beginning legal proceedings and he owns the house with his mrs so if I need to I can put a charging order on it

Wondered if anyone has used these guys before or had any experience of them ? Just won a court case against my builder who I know has a good few assets knocking about and lots of equity so I'm going to need to send someone round to collect, seems to be a lot of Companies advertising the same service

I wish you all the best whoever you choose but I had a bad experience with The Sherrifs about 6 years ago.

I set them on to recover £1500 and because the defendant wouldn't answer the door and shouted out the window he had nothing, the sherrifs wanted to charge me seventy odd quid for sending their men and failing to recover my money.

They didnt get their money from me either.

H

The kind face shown on TV programme bears little similarity to the knuckle draggers that operate in Scotland. I seen a woman and three disabled children thrown out on the street to allow the landlord to achieve a higher rental. It was like something out of 1940's Warsaw.

Good ones do exist but up here they seem to be failed doormen that have done "the training".

Edited by Red-dot

The kind face shown on TV programme bears little similarity to the knuckle draggers that operate in Scotland. I seen a woman and three disabled children thrown out on the street to allow the landlord to achieve a higher rental. It was like something out of 1940's Warsaw.

Good ones do exist but up here they seem to be failed doormen that have done "the training".

You have a different system in Scotland than England and Wales,suprisingly the argument on anti bailiff forums is to have a system like Scotland which is fairer.

• 3 weeks later...

He was boasting about how much equity he had and how he was downsizing soon, silly man! He will.have to work every day for the next 4 months on his digger to compensate for what this mistake has cost him when he could have talked to me.and sorted it out for a few grand and a couple.of weeks work instead

Happy days, 11k going in the bank and I'm getting quotes in to replace the driveway he wrecked, it's nice to know the cowboys don't always get away with it, few veiled threats being bandied about by him now as he lost but hey ho I've just got a new dog and even as a pup I really wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of her :-) it's nice to finally get some closure on the entire affair

Welsh 1- is a High court bailiff the same as an old Certificated bailiff?

No,in the good old days before they kept changing bailiffs names,a certificated bailiff executed county court orders and liabilities,and magistrates orders a high court bailiff executed high court writs,the high court bailiff worked under a sheriff,in my case I worked for the sheriff of Northampton,but the work was in all of England and Wales,it was his name on the high court writ and I acted on his behalf.I could not execute a writ myself,I had to have a Sheriff.

A certificated bailiff just had to have the warrant,liability order etc if he was executing liability orders for a local authority he would carry a piece of paper stating he was acting on their behalf with a signature,but the bailiff certificate was his power to execute those orders .

You could work as a high court officer without holding a bailiff certificate,but it was rare and most high court officers were bailiffs for a long time and knew the system pretty well.

It's all changed now,pretty new names,slightly different monetary structure,and the the person owing the money encouraged to contact at the earliest opportunity.