state pension

ips

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully understand why people feel the case but the two things to remember are 1) Compound growth means that money invested early has a far greater value than money invested later (it has longer to grow and you get annual growth on top of annual growth) and 2) Pension are tax efficient. The contributions, within annual allowances, are tax free and you can take 25% out of the pot at retirement tax free. Little in life is so tax efficient.

I partially agree. Getting on the ladder is important but I would sacrifice overpaying the mortgage against paying into a pension. In the current low interest climate at least. For the reasons above.

+1 it's exactly what I did on both,and was able to part retire at 50.Now only work 6hrs per week till 55 this Oct and fully retire.

Anyone with a PTA (personal tax account) can check their estimated NIB (state pension) as well as check up on NIC co tributions and any gaps.

I part retired at 50 and fully retire at 55 (this October) State pension for me is years away.I am not confident it will actually be there when my time is due,however this has been accounted for.

My advise to the young is stop ******* money up the wall ie drinking,smoking and paying £60 per mth for the latest phone when a £15 one will do. .Get straight repayment morg (not a house to keep up with the Jones) and overpay when ever possible.Why waste money on a Jag when a Fiesta will serve the same purpose.Then save up for your retirement because there will be no state pension.

I'm 26 and have a work pension and a small military pension ( which I didn't pay into and it's quite fair). However I wouldn't be putting extra money away a month, I would rather enjoy it now to be honest. Spend time with family, holidays, etc. I save my own money, I don't fancy giving it to someone to gamble with when at the end of the day retirement isn't guaranteed anyway.

Live for today as tommorow may never come!!!

If I was in my twenties in the current climate I would sell everything I had pack a case and begger off to France or Spain or even oz and I wouldn't darken the door of uk ever again....

Had this thought a few times, I've a good friend in Seattle a cousin in Oz and know a few other folk who have taken the leap, almost makes me wish I was an only child so we could do a runner abroad but think it takes massive courage to wave goodbye to all your family and go as far as Oz or usa.

So given that there are folk on here talking about pensions who sound like they know what there talking about, how much would you pay into a pension at 40years old, I have a company pension, a small frozen one and like others don't expect there to be a government pension by the time I retire??

So given that there are folk on here talking about pensions who sound like they know what there talking about, how much would you pay into a pension at 40years old, I have a company pension, a small frozen one and like others don't expect there to be a government pension by the time I retire??

For most of us it's not how much you would put into a pension it's how much can you afford to put in to a pension. I'm 38 have a work pension and put the minimum into it as by the time I pay my mortgage and other bills I'm left with less than £300 a month. I don't have many luxuries never been on holiday for over 10 years drive a 15 year old van but I'm healthy and happy, what will happen to me at retiring age doesn't bear thinking about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38609422

This is the easiest to follow explanation i have seen.

I am 28, my work pension takes 9.3% and i save a few hundered a minth on top.

Its not so much about how much you pay into a pension as how much your money will grow in that pension. Many of the well known pension schemes (ie the ones you see advertised) have turned in piddle poor performances over the past twenty or so years leaving people with pensions well below what they expected to be getting.

Its not so much about how much you pay into a pension as how much your money will grow in that pension. Many of the well known pension schemes (ie the ones you see advertised) have turned in piddle poor performances over the past twenty or so years leaving people with pensions well below what they expected to be getting.

Vince. You said this before but won't name the 'schemes' you are referring to and I don't know what you are referring to by the term 'scheme'. As a pension is simply a wrapper for an eligible investment (shares, funds, bonds, commercial property etc) can you be a bit more explicit?

In a PM with a member on here I came across this site that explains very clearly the tax benefits of a pension which many people are not aware of.

https://www.youinvest.co.uk/sipp/tax-benefits-sipp

for example a higher rate tax payer (although earning less than £150K as it is less attractive if you earn above) only has to contribute £24K in order to get a total contribution of £40K into their pension.

Even a non earner can benefit. My wife doesn't work so I pay £2,880 into her pension to which the Government adds £720 making a total contribution of £3,600.

It's the nearest thing you get to free money nowadays. Now I know it isn't free as it comes from the general tax pool but take it while you can.

And if you die it goes to your wife or kids (or whoever you want to leave it to).

In a PM with a member on here I came across this site that explains very clearly the tax benefits of a pension which many people are not aware of.

https://www.youinvest.co.uk/sipp/tax-benefits-sipp

for example a higher rate tax payer (although earning less than £150K as it is less attractive if you earn above) only has to contribute £24K in order to get a total contribution of £40K into their pension.

Even a non earner can benefit. My wife doesn't work so I pay £2,880 into her pension to which the Government adds £720 making a total contribution of £3,600.

It's the nearest thing you get to free money nowadays. Now I know it isn't free as it comes from the general tax pool but take it while you can.

And if you die it goes to your wife or kids (or whoever you want to leave it to).

I use this company for my wifes pension, very cost effective.

Unfortunately the tax relief is removed for higher earners.

I use this company for my wifes pension, very cost effective.

Unfortunately the tax relief is removed for higher earners.

Yes it tapers down from £150K upwards. Above £210K you only get £10K annual allowance.