Social services

foxnet22

Recently my 4 year old grandaughter witnessed violence between her mum and her new boyfriend and the police where involved and refered to social services the details of incidents. After looking into it they social services discontinued the investigation saying all was ok as her mum assured them he wasn't coming back.now my son who has his daughter on weekends was in conversation with his daughter and she says mummy's new boyfriend is back living there. My son contacted social services and to cut it short they seem to be fobbing him off and taking the mothers side of events.now my son is worried that because if him contacting social services again his daughters mother will make it akward for him to have his daughter on weekends .any advise would be appreciated on this matter.

Edited by foxnet22

I had to go to court for my kids which has set out certain days I get them both.

It's worked out well as she can't change her mind now without trouble.

My ex was beaten up by her partner in front of the kids and he received 6 months locked up. I went out Xmas day to swap her locks and had the kids .

She's also got with a few idiots but the school became involved and social services jumped in them.

Has the judge ruled that he gets her on the weekend?

If she makes it awkward take her back to court.

I'd also be asking for the social workers details, their team managers details and ask for their official complaints procedure if you feel fobbed off.

Start the ball rolling with official complaint procedure and keep asking them to escalate.

This is only if he genuinely is back there etc. No offence mate but two sides to every story.

I would be back to Social Services asking just how they had arrived at this conclusion. If you are satisfied - end of story. If you are not, make it abundantly clear that the matter will not rest there. Escalate it and advise them that you hold them responsible in the event of anything untoward happening.

Your granddaughter's welfare is more important than ruffling a few feathers at Social Services.

I would be back to Social Services asking just how they had arrived at this conclusion. If you are satisfied - end of story. If you are not, make it abundantly clear that the matter will not rest there. Escalate it and advise them that you hold them responsible in the event of anything untoward happening.

Your granddaughter's welfare is more important than ruffling a few feathers at Social Services.

Good advice Gordon.

I would also add that it would be wise to put it in writing, they will be far less likely to fob you off in a written reply for obvious reasons.

Sorry Lloyd I know you've not long qualified as a social worker and this isn't a dig at you, but social services are a complete waste of oxygen. We've been involved as a family with fostering for the past 5 years and have seen social workers come and go. They don't answer the phone before 930 in a morning, they don't answer the phone after 430 in the afternoon, a lot of our visits are done on a Friday lunch time so that by the time the box ticking and 2 cups of coffee are gone it's too late for them to go back to the office. Without going into detail the sibling group we look after have been on social services radar for the last 20 years! The eldest half sister made allegations to the police and social services of physical abuse when she was 15. The eldest full sister when they were finally taken into care gave page after page after page of disclosures about the abuse she had suffered - stuff that would make your hair curl. She had been on their radar since she was 3 years old! The family were finally taken into care when she was 15!

12 months ago we had a full inquiry into a lot of things regarding our social care team after 2 years of complaints and formal discussions with the independent review officer, 3 people were transferred not sacked! Because they were failing to do their jobs.

Social services also have no provision for kids that come into care and then go on to achieve, they're just set up to take kids in and then prepare them to reach 16 and then they like to set them up with a flat, give them £2000 worth of furniture and pretty much wave them good bye only to welcome the girls back into the system 9months down the line as a mother and baby placement. Our one lad has gone on to leave school, get a decent full time job living away and doesn't want to social workers coming to his job - as far as anyone knows he is my younger brother and he doesn't want anyone knowing he's in care. Eventually after a long battle and him saying if they turn up at his work he'll make sure he's not there they got the duty social worker to agree to come out and see him when he's back home.

So anything to do with social services you need to keep going and going and going until you see any sort of action. And make sure you log every call, text, email and conversation because they have a really good ability to lose paperwork and forget meetings etc.

Again sorry Lloyd it wasn't a dig at you I'm sure you're one of the good ones 👍🏼

The starting point should be that they are all good, until proven otherwise. There are good Social Workers and bad ones - just like any walk of life.

CharlieT's advice to put everything in writing is very sound - I should have said it myself. Keep a diary and log everything.

I think it may be worthwhile finding out if there are any bail conditions imposed as a result of the initial police attendance and subsequent enquiry.

I know Police procedures up here in Scotland are extremely robust and would involve notification to social work but the criminal aspect would be thoroughly investigated and reported to Procurator Fiscal. Nearly every single case similar to yours results in certain bail conditions being applied.

Edited by bobthedug

Sorry Lloyd I know you've not long qualified as a social worker and this isn't a dig at you, but social services are a complete waste of oxygen. We've been involved as a family with fostering for the past 5 years and have seen social workers come and go. They don't answer the phone before 930 in a morning, they don't answer the phone after 430 in the afternoon, a lot of our visits are done on a Friday lunch time so that by the time the box ticking and 2 cups of coffee are gone it's too late for them to go back to the office. Without going into detail the sibling group we look after have been on social services radar for the last 20 years! The eldest half sister made allegations to the police and social services of physical abuse when she was 15. The eldest full sister when they were finally taken into care gave page after page after page of disclosures about the abuse she had suffered - stuff that would make your hair curl. She had been on their radar since she was 3 years old! The family were finally taken into care when she was 15!

12 months ago we had a full inquiry into a lot of things regarding our social care team after 2 years of complaints and formal discussions with the independent review officer, 3 people were transferred not sacked! Because they were failing to do their jobs.

Social services also have no provision for kids that come into care and then go on to achieve, they're just set up to take kids in and then prepare them to reach 16 and then they like to set them up with a flat, give them £2000 worth of furniture and pretty much wave them good bye only to welcome the girls back into the system 9months down the line as a mother and baby placement. Our one lad has gone on to leave school, get a decent full time job living away and doesn't want to social workers coming to his job - as far as anyone knows he is my younger brother and he doesn't want anyone knowing he's in care. Eventually after a long battle and him saying if they turn up at his work he'll make sure he's not there they got the duty social worker to agree to come out and see him when he's back home.

So anything to do with social services you need to keep going and going and going until you see any sort of action. And make sure you log every call, text, email and conversation because they have a really good ability to lose paperwork and forget meetings etc.

Again sorry Lloyd it wasn't a dig at you I'm sure you're one of the good ones 👍🏼

It's interesting to hear mate, it's very hit and miss all around different authorities, and quite genuinely the social workers are dealing with between 20-40 cases all equally complicated! Some authorities are genuinely crumbling under the workloads.

Trust me, whilst everyone slates them, we'd be in a bad way without social services.

Only a bail situation if someone was arrested and this doesn't appear to be the case.

Lloyd90 - only just read this:-

Trust me, whilst everyone slates them, we'd be in a bad way without social services.

I agree. I have met a number of Social Workers, in the course of business, over a long period. Some were awful, naïve and obstructive, but most were professional and dedicated. Someone, who worked for me 20 years ago, is now a Senior Social Worker and I am proud of the way she turned out.

Edited by Gordon R

Only a bail situation if someone was arrested and this doesn't appear to be the case.

Lloyd90 - only just read this:-

I agree. I have met a number of Social Workers, in the course of business, over a long period. Some were awful, naïve and obstructive, but most were professional and dedicated. Someone, who worked for me 20 years ago, is now a Senior Social Worker and I am proud of the way she turned out.

It's only since 2005 they had to have a degree, whilst a degree isn't the be all and end all I think it's done a lot to improve the professionalism of the role.

There's are loads of really really good social workers but lots of bad ones and similar to the NHS councils being run the way they are they can't get rid of a lot of the bad staff!

The amount of abuse, drugs and alcohol, domestic violence etc etc etc in the country, I'm honestly amazed we have as few big cases as we do. Thousands of vulnerable adults and children are safeguarded every day!

Bit off subject but My mum looked after 2 residents with severe learning difficulties who lived with us for 25 years (starting when I was 5) and at times had other residents but they didn't stay too long as they were not suitable for a family home. She looked after them like they were her own and my mum is one of the most caring people I know. Over those years SS treated her like carp and considering the money she saved them not having to home them in a bigger home, it was disgraceful. It was full of bitchy jobsworth women trying to justify their job.

Again sorry Lloyd it wasn't a dig at you I'm sure you're one of the good ones

I agree social services a complete waste of time

It's only since 2005 they had to have a degree, whilst a degree isn't the be all and end all I think it's done a lot to improve the professionalism of the role.

There's are loads of really really good social workers but lots of bad ones and similar to the NHS councils being run the way they are they can't get rid of a lot of the bad staff!

The amount of abuse, drugs and alcohol, domestic violence etc etc etc in the country, I'm honestly amazed we have as few big cases as we do. Thousands of vulnerable adults and children are safeguarded every day!

I understand what you are saying Lloyd, in Merseyside at any given time we have approx 6000 children and adults under a safeguarding order of some type. Also have the lowest life expectancy in the uk, the highest rate of drug related hospital admissions in the uk and one of the highest rates of domestic violence in the uk. I know our trust social workers and safeguarding team is bombed out 100% of the time. Very challenging job but also rewarding if you can sustain the pressures felt and as you say there would be misery for many poor individuals who are vulnerable if it was not for these services.

atb

7diaw

My wife and myself were sent to parenting classes by social services after my youngest was involved with a 15 year old drug dealer ,we had asked for help but 'she is nearly 16 so we cant get involved really' she was 14 at the time ,as soon as she went to school with a bruise (the school knew what was happening) then they came rushing out with the police (they knew as well ) .The guy from social services couldnt speak english at all well and had trouble writting a note in English . Total waste of time ....

As for the parenting classes their local knowledge was worse than useless ,their drugs knowledge was about 10 years out of date ,and at the end of the 8 weeks i got asked if i was interested in getting involved as a volunteer .

The whole thing is a nightmare. The social workers are forever damned whatever they do (christ knows why anyone would want to do it for a living). I try and avoid interaction with them if at all possible but whenever i do encounter them it strikes me that what is regarded as reasonable behaviour varies dramatically from region to region. (Not going into that further online as i have raised it elsewhere).