Mushroom ID

John_R

Agreed it looks like a Horse mushroom (Agaricus arvensis). How wide is it across the cap?

Very good advice old'un. I was incapacitated for two days and never left the loo after eating a panful of the wrong ones.

Edited by JDog

I'll eat pretty much any old filth you can kill or forage but fungi scare the poo out of me ever since I saw an episode of midsummer murders when I was a kid! Somebody got killed by someone else replacing their mushrooms with some baddies that made our rough then you felt better then killed you a few days later. I'm not a huge mushroom fan anyway.

I'll eat pretty much any old filth you can kill or forage but fungi scare the poo out of me ever since I saw an episode of midsummer murders when I was a kid! Somebody got killed by someone else replacing their mushrooms with some baddies that made our rough then you felt better then killed you a few days later. I'm not a huge mushroom fan anyway.

Amanita phalloides

Agreed it looks like a Horse mushroom (Agaricus arvensis). How wide is it across the cap?

Very good advice old'un. I was incapacitated for two days and never left the loo after eating a panful of the wrong ones.

Yep, I also know from experience, :sick: I've always been willing to give anything a go but after learning the hard way I joined the Worcester Fungi Group so I had a better idea of what I was eating. :good:

I've eaten a couple of types I've found but left lots more, sat with my little mushroom book trying to id something but not being entirely sure, always said it would be a belting prize to go for a walk with Ray Mears somewhere you go regular.

I remember that episode, Amanita Virosa if I recall correctly.

I am very tempted not to eat it, though I have to say that other than slug damage it does look rather appetising! I am rather fond of mushrooms though I buy them, not forage.

Edited by John_R

Amanita phalloides, the Death Cap, is unbelievably toxicand closely resembles edible species.

One trick to remember, look at the gills, A.phalloides has white gills. Edible species are chocolate,or pink.

Edited by DrBob

Looks like horse. Get it in the pan with some butter. Very tasty! The gills should be pinkish and will darken up as it ages. Picked loads this weekend. Wood mushrooms to. Been a good year for them. Can get real big. Dinner plate size. Largest i found weighed 2lb 6oz. Stem nearly as thick as my wrist. Stems can get maggoty but crown will still be ok to eat. Penny buns my fave.

NB

Amanita phalloides, the Death Cap, is unbelievably toxicand closely resembles edible species.

One trick to remember, look at the gills, A.phalloides has white gills. Edible species are chocolate,or pink.

Although I would agree that avoiding any mushroom with white spores or gills is a good idea, suggesting that mushrooms with chocolate or pink gills are edible is not a good idea, there are many mushrooms that fall into this colour range (Galerina) that can make you very ill.