Drones

rimfire4969

I know this has been covered before but I am struggling to find a definitive answer.

As some of you may know I have a caravan & camping park in Cornwall, one of my guests have decided to fly his drone from his tent pitch over the campsite. Obviously I own the land so have ask him not too as flying over other peoples caravans, tents and cars let alone the people has a risk attached to it. He has the hump with me and tried spouting rules and regs at me. I just pointed out he is standing on my land so my choice. I also pointed out that there is 600 acres of heathland and sand dunes just over the hedge and go and fly it there will not cause any problems.

So does someone know the rules on flying drones?

I rang the landowner the other day and said I've a drone sitting over my head watching me waiting for a fox.

He said I'll be down in a minute with the 12g .

I'm glad it flew off before he got there if I'm honest as I don't want to witness that.

My neighbour almost hit my car the over day and just laughed. I didn't find it so funny.

Your land mate ,tell him to naff off if does not like.

+1

Your land mate ,tell him to naff off if does not like.

This guy is sorted he knows the score and will not be flying from my land.

I would just like to know the rules if it happens again the operator does not try to blind me with science.

There is quite a bit online about people saying about shooting them down and getting in trouble or could for criminal damage.

Edited by rimfire4969

this is from the civil aviation authority website

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Recreational-drone-flights/

The regulations for recreational drone flights are contained within the Air Navigation Order 2016 (ANO) which is the primary document for all aviation regulations within the UK. In order to keep the regulations at a proportionate level for these small drones, a set of specific, simpler, regulations apply to aircraft that have a mass of 20kg or less (which are termed ‘small unmanned aircraft’ within the ANO).

In simple terms, these regulations state that:

• you are responsible for flying your drone in a safe manner
  • you must keep the drone in your direct sight at all times while it is flying, so that you can ensure that it does not collide with anything, especially other aircraft
  • you must not endanger anyone, or any thing with your drone, including any articles that you drop from it
  • if your drone weighs more than 7kg, additional rules apply if you fly in certain types of airspace and you must not fly above 400ft above the surface
  • If your drone is fitted with a camera, there are also a number of additional limitations surrounding where you can fly it, and how close you can fly it to other uninvolved people or objects. In order to be able to fly within these areas, or closer than the minimum distances that are in the regulations, you must obtain prior Permission from the CAA to do so.

Lots of info here, give them a call you you need further info. Key point is the distances he needs to be away from people, structures and vehicles.

https://bmfa.org/multi-rotors

Just a thought if anyone wanted to take one out I would think a powerful airgun would be your best bet as shooting from a concealed position if they was filming they would not see a flash to let them see when the shot was taken from.

Just a thought if anyone wanted to take one out I would think a powerful airgun would be your best bet as shooting from a concealed position if they was filming they would not see a flash to let them see when the shot was taken from.

Regardless to the fact that some people object to drones, they are legal and even if they are being flown in a manner that contravenes CAA regulations I don't think PW members should be suggesting that a criminal offence be committed in order to bring one down.

I know this has been covered before but I am struggling to find a definitive answer.

As some of you may know I have a caravan & camping park in Cornwall, one of my guests have decided to fly his drone from his tent pitch over the campsite. Obviously I own the land so have ask him not too as flying over other peoples caravans, tents and cars let alone the people has a risk attached to it. He has the hump with me and tried spouting rules and regs at me. I just pointed out he is standing on my land so my choice. I also pointed out that there is 600 acres of heathland and sand dunes just over the hedge and go and fly it there will not cause any problems.

So does someone know the rules on flying drones?

Just point out to him that the CAA don't just slap peoples wrists and that the fine for breaching the ANO "endangering a person" is £2500

Edited by wascal

Regardless to the fact that some people object to drones, they are legal and even if they are being flown in a manner that contravenes CAA regulations I don't think PW members should be suggesting that a criminal offence be committed in order to bring one down.

It's still a good concept though....

To be honest, if I had one over my house, or garden whilst my family are out playing etc I'd want to do something about it.

This site makes it simple :-

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.techadvisor.co.uk/feature/gadget/where-fly-drone-in-uk-abroad-3620507/%3famp

Of interest to you is this bit :-

If fitted with a camera, a drone must be flown at last 50m away from a person, vehicle, building or structure not owned or controlled by the pilot.

Edited for the typo.

Edited by GingerCat

Put it in writing on the rules for your campsite that drones are NOT permitted to be flown on site! They break the rules they get turfed out with no refund! If it's your site! You make the rules. It's private land technically and him being a guest, should abide by said rules YOU make! Not spout off.

Put it in writing on the rules for your campsite that drones are NOT permitted to be flown on site! They break the rules they get turfed out with no refund! If it's your site! You make the rules. It's private land technically and him being a guest, should abide by said rules YOU make! Not spout off.

Campsite I was at a few weeks ago had a prominent sign in the reception area stating that drones were banned from the site. Why can't you just adopt a similar stance?

I could add no drones to my terms and conditions of staying but no one reads them anyway and to do this they would need changing on all our documents, emails and website.

I am not a fan of signs telling guests not to do things, it seems very negative welcome to your holiday.

I will stick with the polite word if someone flies one and I can use the info above as guidance.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Edited by rimfire4969

I could add no drones to my terms and conditions of staying but no one reads them anyway and to do this they would need changing on all our documents, emails and website.

I am not a fan of signs telling guests not to do things, it seems very negative welcome to your holiday.

I will stick with the polite word if someone flies one and I can use the info above as guidance.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Hardly a big deal to change your emails and web page five min job also documents change when you need to print out more if it is in writing even if the people do not read them it makes it simpler for you to just say its in the site rules that way they cannot argue with you. :good: :good:

Most of what's been said in here is correct. The person using the drone on the site is doing so illegally, as they require the landowner's permission to take off from. Their next issue is distance rules, which for a recreational operator is 50M away from any person or object which is out of their control. To be under their control, you'd need signage and a site walk around to let them know.

The best advice I can offer is for you to put a sign at the entrance of the park, much like a 'No Dogs' which points out that drones aren't allowed to be flown there. Caravan/Camp sites tend to be family orientated and drones are basically flying blenders. They will break skin and some of the larger ones could easily take a finger off. Even the smaller fold up ones will cause serious damage to a person if they got hit in the face. Most drones' propellors are spinning with a tip speed of 200-400mph, so this might put things into perspective for those wondering.

Here's a good sign which gets the message across nicely. http://images.mysecuritysign.com/img/lg/K/no-drone-symbol-sign-k2-1328.png

If you're still getting grief from the person, point them in my direction. I'll show them my operator's licence and explain exactly where they've broken the law. You did the right thing by having a chat and explaining that they can do it elsewhere.

Hardly a big deal to change your emails and web page five min job also documents change when you need to print out more if it is in writing even if the people do not read them it makes it simpler for you to just say its in the site rules that way they cannot argue with you. :good: :good:

Unfortunately when you do a print run of 5000 brochures and arrival leaflets and my company website is looked after by another company and our booking system sends pre arrival emails as well as confirmations, overdue balances, thank you for your booking, deposit payment and full payment emails plus a whole heap of other emails is also hosted by a cloud based company its not a 5 min job.

Most of what's been said in here is correct. The person using the drone on the site is doing so illegally, as they require the landowner's permission to take off from. Their next issue is distance rules, which for a recreational operator is 50M away from any person or object which is out of their control. To be under their control, you'd need signage and a site walk around to let them know.

The best advice I can offer is for you to put a sign at the entrance of the park, much like a 'No Dogs' which points out that drones aren't allowed to be flown there. Caravan/Camp sites tend to be family orientated and drones are basically flying blenders. They will break skin and some of the larger ones could easily take a finger off. Even the smaller fold up ones will cause serious damage to a person if they got hit in the face. Most drones' propellors are spinning with a tip speed of 200-400mph, so this might put things into perspective for those wondering.

Here's a good sign which gets the message across nicely. http://images.mysecuritysign.com/img/lg/K/no-drone-symbol-sign-k2-1328.png

If you're still getting grief from the person, point them in my direction. I'll show them my operator's licence and explain exactly where they've broken the law. You did the right thing by having a chat and explaining that they can do it elsewhere.

Thanks for the input Billy, this has been a one off incident so far so I will just hold back for the moment. I hate too many signs but I guess its something we may have to look at in the future.

Thanks for the input Billy, this has been a one off incident so far so I will just hold back for the moment. I hate too many signs but I guess its something we may have to look at in the future.

I fully understand that. I'd probably recommend a call to your insurer to have a chat about it. Whilst it is the responsibility of the drone operator to fly in a legal and safe manner, in the event of someone getting injured the chances of the drone operator having insurance will be close to zero. You may be liable for not taking steps to protect those on site if someone tried to pursue a claim and a simple sign might be enough to clear you of blame.