Ex military boots

Blackpowder

I don't rate the alt-berg defenders, short in length and not wide enough,

I've got a pair of size 9 army surplus sat here doing nothing if your interested. I've only worn them twice and given them a good wax. They fit more like an 8.5 on my stubby wedges!

That got me scratching my head! I have wide feet and my Defenders are a perfect fit and not at all short (as in hiking boot ankle length short). I'm sure that the British Army wouldn't agree that they're pants either as they've gone down really well with the guys I still know in service who've used them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Hiax , seem a very good boot for under £30.

Blackpowder

Well had my Hiax boots for over a month now and worn them mainly dog walking which is minimum one hour daily, mostly nearer two. The first two days managed to skin the middle of the left foot, which stupidly I did not treat or apply a plaster two. Result slight festering on middle toe joint now healed and sorted. Today I found that there was a rigid insole above a softer shock absorbing one and removed this. Now well pleased with the comfort and fit. Certainly waterproof at this moment as even morning dew, notorious for penetrating leather has been repelled. Battle will commence next week with serious beating underway and looking forward to a season not wearing wellingtons every outing.

Blackpowder

Berghaus yeti's are the daddy of all gaitors especially the older model.

Only the older model! A mate bought some new ones, total garbage compared to the previous effort - bits snapped off and fell to pieces within weeks. A quick read of online reviews seems to confirm this, sadly.

That got me scratching my head! I have wide feet and my Defenders are a perfect fit and not at all short (as in hiking boot ankle length short). I'm sure that the British Army wouldn't agree that they're pants either as they've gone down really well with the guys I still know in service who've used them.

Hi,

I don't remember calling them pants, I said I didn't rate them which was due to the odd sizing. They don't suit my feet and come up short and narrow compared to my Meindl's and other brands I've worn in the past. I've sold mine now and will stick with Meindl in future.

Gary