Looks like 50 cal and some .22 could be going

kingo15

I have no wish to own a 50 cal or a lever release rifle ,however i support other shooters in the right to own and shoot them .

After all whats next 22 semi auto , pump action ,auto shotgun, revolvers ?its a slippery slope .

Remember the pistol ban 'well i shoot shotguns it doesnt affect me ' or 'i shoot target reifle it doesnt affect me '

DIVIDE AND CONQUER .

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what is interesting about these proposals they have been on the cards for some time according to previously

published felwg minutes especially the ones from feb/march 2015 the rapid firing ones it refers to are the mars/lever release style rifles

although I agree it is vague as to what is rapid firing I believe they are going after those types not 22lr semis, 12g semis.

previously it came up at their meetings and nabis was tasked on how to reclassify them im guessing to sec5

the reclassification of 50 cal to sec5 came out of leaked info that appeared on that shooting news website this was all back in 2015

I know some people dont trust that website as fact but this leak seems at least to be true regarding 50bmg being banned.

although the real £64000 question is why now after having them all this time there must be less than 40 in the hands of civis

for target shooting and at £5+ a round and £4000+ for the rifles they arent going to be a choice of gun for a criminal.

Edited by Mossyoak77

This is one of the problems that we make for ourselves. Who but a thug would really want something like this.

Actually, I don't think that there's any "we" involved. When did you last see a shooter using a switch blade or flick knife? I think that we'd all agree that they're not suited to hunting for obvious reasons, and historically they've not always been to the appeal of thugs and criminals.

The market for such things has always been small but remained there driven by the appeal for a handy pocket knife that could be brought to use rapidly by those wanting something handy, not connected with crime. In the USA, I believe it might have been Schrade who marketed the knife design with some success to outdoorsmen, cow-pokes, farmers and hunters as being a good design for just those reasons....ie handy and quickly brought to use when the need arose. Their development is interlinked with firearms history and for quite interesting reasons. They were developed in the mid 18th century for use with flintlock pistols as a sort of bayonet but later became popular for everything from peeling apples by "gentlemen" who were taken by their quirky appeal, to outdoorsy-types later to be adopted in the USA by violent street gangs in the 1920's. Legislation in the mid 50's USA seeked to control or ban them and they've not been lawful here for many years. I remember as a nipper visiting France on a French exchange trip wandering into a sports and shooting shop in St Brieuc, Brittany, and they were very popular amongst people, including sportsmen and openly displayed and sold there alongside Opinel knives.

Personally, I can' t see the practicality or use for such knives as they seem to attract bragging rights by the younger street culture "yoofs" involved perhaps in crime but I'm willing to bet far more fixed blades, including kitchen knives have been used in crime in this country and abroad. I have no problem with their banning however it is really no loss to anyone other perhaps than the younger more easily influenced inner city gang culture.

Actually, I don't think that there's any "we" involved. When did you last see a shooter using a switch blade or flick knife? I think that we'd all agree that they're not suited to hunting for obvious reasons, and historically they've not always been to the appeal of thugs and criminals.

The market for such things has always been small but remained there driven by the appeal for a handy pocket knife that could be brought to use rapidly by those wanting something handy, not connected with crime. In the USA, I believe it might have been Schrade who marketed the knife design with some success to outdoorsmen, cow-pokes, farmers and hunters as being a good design for just those reasons....ie handy and quickly brought to use when the need arose. Their development is interlinked with firearms history and for quite interesting reasons. They were developed in the mid 18th century for use with flintlock pistols as a sort of bayonet but later became popular for everything from peeling apples by "gentlemen" who were taken by their quirky appeal, to outdoorsy-types later to be adopted in the USA by violent street gangs in the 1920's. Legislation in the mid 50's USA seeked to control or ban them and they've not been lawful here for many years. I remember as a nipper visiting France on a French exchange trip wandering into a sports and shooting shop in St Brieuc, Brittany, and they were very popular amongst people, including sportsmen and openly displayed and sold there alongside Opinel knives.

Personally, I can' t see the practicality or use for such knives as they seem to attract bragging rights by the younger street culture "yoofs" involved perhaps in crime but I'm willing to bet far more fixed blades, including kitchen knives have been used in crime in this country and abroad. I have no problem with their banning however it is really no loss to anyone other perhaps than the younger more easily influenced inner city gang culture.

The "WE" in question wasn't aimed at anyone specifically in this shooting community, but was simply put forward as an example of how "WE" (referring to the general population) always try to get around current laws.

This can be seen by the introduction of long barrelled pistols, which are classed as rifles but "WE" all know what they are really; pistols with a long barrel and a bit of metal swaged onto the handle.

And then we have the companies who take black-powder pistols and modify them to shoot nitro propellant to make them easier to use (and more powerful).

In America semi auto rifles that can be fitted with a "Bump Stock" to turn a legal semi-auto into an illegal full-auto............and these bump stocks are legal???

We see it all the time where we could just plod along with our sport in the best intentions, but then someone will push the boundaries and introduce an item that makes a legal rifle into something that borders on a grey area. And then wonder why we attract the attention of HMG.

And yes I have seen shooters with these flip type knives; thank God not at my club, but I have seen them when visiting a fox drive with a friend, where they seemed to be the talking point amongst some of the shooters there. They are, after all, totally legal at this moment.

I certainly do NOT want to see anything banned because gun crime is committed by criminals and not law-abiding shooters.

Yes god forbid someone with only one hand/one working/strong hand wants/needs to use a knife, what a thug(!) :rolleyes: The styling of that knife is the only real issue there, and its not much of a issue at that, unless 'black' things frighten you.

The real reason flick knives are the preserve of thugs and idiots is because the overwhelming majority of them are rubbish knives/poor steel/more wobbly than a jelly :lol:

Yes god forbid someone with only one hand/one working/strong hand wants/needs to use a knife, what a thug(!) :rolleyes: The styling of that knife is the only real issue there, and its not much of a issue at that, unless 'black' things frighten you.

The real reason flick knives are the preserve of thugs and idiots is because the overwhelming majority of them are rubbish knives/poor steel/more wobbly than a jelly :lol:

Oh come on......I wasn't knocking the Spiderco type knives as I have one myself. As for a flip type stiletto that you seem to think is frightening to me.............for gawds sake :rolleyes:

Sounds like par for the course legislation really.

A little used calibre that has never been used in crime in the UK, and another very common one which has, but not the type of action which has.

Then we have legislation against the sale of an acid to under 18's who will either get an older person to buy it or use bleach or some other such liquid, and finally the tightening of legislation against a type of knife which has been subject to a ban for decades, yet nothing whatsoever regarding the calibre most commonly used illegally in recent months nor the dozens of stabbings carried out on a daily basis.

You couldn't make it up !

I wonder who the .50 cal lads can rely on for support eh? 🤔

Pretty much exactly what I am thinking.

General chat at my club on Wednesday (with a member of the local firearms consultative committee present) was that there are only 78, 50 cal rifles in civilian hands at present (not withstanding those granted and not yet purchased. It seems that there are also proposals to ban them from use by civillians on all Military Ranges (assuming they don`t get banned altogether ) which would (I understand) leave 3 ranges only where they can be used?

The proposals regarding lever action guns is vague, and the trade is also very worried about gallery rifles and .22LR semi`s being included.

As I understand it the consultation with the Home Office was being held yesterday 5th so am looking forward to hearing an overview of just what was discussed.

What ever the outcome I just hope our shooting organisations can get together for once and provide a united front against any changes in the current set up.

I tend to feel that the powers that be are meddling for the sake of meddling, 1 because they can and 2 because they are trying to justify their positions to the wider uneducated public about how they are making the country safer for us all.

Just when things seemed to loosen up, with a bit of common sense regarding posting bullets, this comes along to bite us in the A--e.

I think our sports representatives in these consultations need to put forward that the shooting community wants something in return if they want our support, i.e if they want to ban 50 cal we want revolvers back for target shooting. They should know that they won't get something for nothing and we are sick of been made a scape goat just so they can feel like they are doing something.

If they want to ride roughshod over us that's up too them but let them know it will be a rough ride.

I think our sports representatives in these consultations need to put forward that the shooting community wants something in return if they want our support, i.e if they want to ban 50 cal we want revolvers back for target shooting. They should know that they won't get something for nothing and we are sick of been made a scape goat just so they can feel like they are doing something.

If they want to ride roughshod over us that's up too them but let them know it will be a rough ride.

Those who govern can do what they please; UK shooters just dont have the numbers nor - more importantly - the will to oppose anything.

I picked up this saying a few weeks back but I thought it would be relevant here maybe lol

Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right.

Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say, 'No, *you* move'

People say write to your MP's explaining that these guns aren't used in crimes so a ban is uncalled for. They aren't stupid and they know damn well they're not being used in criminal activity, you're just telling them what they already know. I suspect they already have pre-written generic letters printed out in response to angry shooters and businesses. When they push through with this they will talk of an aggressive gun lobby and any attempts to defend ourselves will be labeled as attacks by the government and media like the Guardian. It's possible they could use the term rapid firing as an excuse to place a blanket ban on anything that isn't bolt action and once those are banned or restricted almost out of existence they will then start eying up our bolt actions and single shots- for our own safety of course. I suspect they may say that any firearms that fall under their category of rapid firing guns must be kept at an approved gun club or police station and that they're doing us a favor by allowing us to 'keep' them. No point speculating really until we know for sure. I'm starting to dislike living in the UK and not just because of gun issues.

People say write to your MP's explaining that these guns aren't used in crimes so a ban is uncalled for. They aren't stupid and they know damn well they're not being used in criminal activity, you're just telling them what they already know. I suspect they already have pre-written generic letters printed out in response to angry shooters and businesses. When they push through with this they will talk of an aggressive gun lobby and any attempts to defend ourselves will be labeled as attacks by the government and media like the Guardian. It's possible they could use the term rapid firing as an excuse to place a blanket ban on anything that isn't bolt action and once those are banned or restricted almost out of existence they will then start eying up our bolt actions and single shots- for our own safety of course. I suspect they may say that any firearms that fall under their category of rapid firing guns must be kept at an approved gun club or police station and that they're doing us a favor by allowing us to 'keep' them. No point speculating really until we know for sure. I'm starting to dislike living in the UK and not just because of gun issues.

Your last sentence is pretty much the way I am feeling recently too and I am pretty ashamed of admitting that.

While the yanks unarguably have it wrong with the feeble legislation there we are at the other end of the spectrum and the subject matter of this thread proves it.

Nice bit of kit there deano. Lets hope mrs Rudd is gonna give you a refund if she gets her way

Will be no compensation this time cost them to much last time, so I doubt they will make that mistake again.

They know we are a push over unlike the USA NRA, trouble is we never learn otherwise the shooting organisations would have combined into one by now with a fighting fund to fight such prohibitions when they occur.

Will be no compensation this time cost them to much last time, so I doubt they will make that mistake again.

They know we are a push over unlike the USA NRA, trouble is we never learn otherwise the shooting organisations would have combined into one by now with a fighting fund to fight such prohibitions when they occur.

If they did combine into a UK type NRA they would still be fighting amongst themselves over who was going to run it.