Fred the Golden Eagle missing?

panoma1

22 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

On the video (3:03) Packham very clearly points to one particular red dot on the map and states that that “…the signal from the tracker re-appears fifteen miles off of Fife Ness in St Andrews Bay, here…”, but OS maps shows the location cannot be much more than 5 miles from Fife Ness.

The R SPB Scotland’s Head of Investigation also makes a claim (4:44) of “…re-awakening of the signal fifteen miles out in the North Sea.”  

Are both men incapable of basic map reading?   Or have they deliberately multiplied the distance by a factor of three, and knowingly provided false information to the public and to ministers of the Scottish Government?

Image2.jpg

I doubt it's the latter, what would the public/authorities thinking the signal was lost 5 miles out to see as opposed to 15 gain them? 

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:09, Mice! said:

Doesn't matter if another eagle killed Fred over territory, he got blown out to see in a storm or is full of lead shot, things like this highlight the cause against shooting, no evidence needed.

As clem Fandango says the harm is done and nothing will be said further unless there is evidence of poisoning or lead.

Do i win a prize ? Probably happens a lot but not all the birds are tagged up.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not for a minute believe many of the reported disappearances of raptors is down to illegal persecution, I don't doubt there is the occasional incident which is regrettable, but..........it is in the interests of the raptor protection group and other protectionist groups (of which Packham appears to be a self appointed? mouthpiece!) to hang all raptor disappearances on wildlife crime perpetrated by shooting interests, it fills their coffers with money from doners, conveniently damages the reputation of shooters and shooting and furthers their dishonest anti shooting agenda.

The question is how does shooting counter this? Because as we all know if they " chuck enough mud, some will stick" the antis have a platform in the media............shooting needs to find one! Otherwise the constant drip,drip, drip of misinformation, downright lies and anti shooting propaganda will eventually overwhelm us.

Edited by panoma1

19 hours ago, Piebob said:

That's fabulous work Piebob, it really is. I just had a look on Packhams website to see what his status on this topic is, and unfortunately the claims he was making five days ago have just been repeated on the website of The Scottish Field only two hours ago. Could you send the information you provided for us above to your shooting org', or one of them, and to either or all of the above outlets? 

I am genuinely sincere in my praise of your excellent work and will be contacting one or more of the above as a result. 

33 minutes ago, Scully said:

That's fabulous work Piebob, it really is. I just had a look on Packhams website to see what his status on this topic is, and unfortunately the claims he was making five days ago have just been repeated on the website of The Scottish Field only two hours ago. Could you send the information you provided for us above to your shooting org', or one of them, and to either or all of the above outlets? 

I am genuinely sincere in my praise of your excellent work and will be contacting one or more of the above as a result. 

+1

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Very interesting!

It is, and the replies by Hugh Webster sort of put it at stalemate….. for me anyway:hmm:

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Will take action re Scottish Field and my org already aware.  This isn't my work, I'm merely following the case with interest - it's quite a hot topic up here with the shooting community and some organisations demanding that this "trial by media", as panoma1 points out, must stop.  

1 hour ago, KB1 said:

It is, and the replies by Hugh Webster sort of put it at stalemate….. for me anyway

Hugh Webster? He's from the bile brigade! Possibly a little more educated than most of them, and certainly more careful with his words in certain forums so that he appears as being measured, but don't think for a second that his agenda is anything other than the complete cessation of shooting and country sports.

7 minutes ago, Piebob said:

Will take action re Scottish Field and my org already aware.  This isn't my work, I'm merely following the case with interest - it's quite a hot topic up here with the shooting community and some organisations demanding that this "trial by media", as panoma1 points out, must stop.  

Hugh Webster? He's from the bile brigade! Possibly a little more educated than most of them, and certainly more careful with his words in certain forums so that he appears as being measured, but don't think for a second that his agenda is anything other than the complete cessation of shooting and country sports.

I have to confess to not knowing his background or agenda, but he did (at first) appear to be as you say, 'measured' in his response.

I don't think I've led a sheltered life, and in all the years I've been shooting I've never come across a Gun that's killed a Raptor, so I sincerely hope that this is proved to be the case regarding Fred. 

11 hours ago, Piebob said:

Thanks. Now you mention it I did read somewhere of a very robust retort to this incident by a Scottish organisation. It's excellent work all the same. I'll have a ponder and consider what I can do. Cheers. 

On 3/27/2018 at 10:01, panoma1 said:

the antis have a platform in the media............shooting needs to find one

Part of the problem here is that the vast majority (I'd like to think all) of shooting folk go about their business in a correct and proper (i.e. legal) way.  There is no need to have any mention in the media, and most shooting folk I know are fairly 'non media savvy' type people.  There is also no news (or at least shouldn't be) to interest the media in people going lawfully about their daily business and hobbies.  They are within the law - and so have no wish for any changes.

The antis are much more media savvy (a number of them like Packham work in the media and have a natural platform).  Because their aim is to change the law, they are looking all the time for any transgression of the law (or potential transgression of the law), or any deficiency/loopholes in the law, so that it can be gleefully trumpeted in the media and exploited with maximum publicity.  Now where a law has (or may have been) broken, then there is something to interest the media ..........

36 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Part of the problem here is that the vast majority (I'd like to think all) of shooting folk go about their business in a correct and proper (i.e. legal) way.  There is no need to have any mention in the media, and most shooting folk I know are fairly 'non media savvy' type people.  There is also no news (or at least shouldn't be) to interest the media in people going lawfully about their daily business and hobbies.  They are within the law - and so have no wish for any changes.

The antis are much more media savvy (a number of them like Packham work in the media and have a natural platform).  Because their aim is to change the law, they are looking all the time for any transgression of the law (or potential transgression of the law), or any deficiency/loopholes in the law, so that it can be gleefully trumpeted in the media and exploited with maximum publicity.  Now where a law has (or may have been) broken, then there is something to interest the media ..........

It would be desirable in my view, for the ones that disrupt people going about lawful business to have their collars felt.