Cold East Wind

pigeon controller

This weekend was very simular to last week ,Dry! We drove our normal route through the rape fields finding pigeons on most but none feeding or flighting. We had covered two thirds of our permissions and were not confident at setting up for birds in the trees. We then drove to one of our" banker" rape fields and it had no birds on it at all . So we decided to retrace our route and see if things had changed. It was now 11.30 and we had been on the road from 08.00 as we drove past a previous farm we noticed a flight line coming from the east which is not normal and as we watched a few birds came in and dropped behind a small wood we continued to watch and further birds followed. So a quick phone call , poo, international dialing tone!!, the farmer may be asleep. Phoned his son , yes he is away but you can shoot but do not drive the fields as they are very wet. So we carried all the gear to the required spot walking off approx fifty pigeons and set up. the good sign was that during the setting up period birds tried to return, we were operational by 12.30 and the next bird in was shot this lifted approx two hundred birds from behind the wood in front of us and for the next hour we had continuous shooting. The wind was from the east and very cold, I had my warm hat on with ear muffs which also muted the sound of the shot which was wierd. As the day progressed the sun moved round to be infront of us and caused us to miss a good number of birds as they flew infront of the sun. We knew we had a good number down and we finished shooting at 17.00 and collected up for the photo and we had shot two hundred and three pigeons and one jackdaw, mega day on rape.

As the sun dropped the wind became colder and it reminded me of forty plus years ago when we would drive from Birmingham to the Fens for dawn cross the river Bedford in a tin bath and pike fish the river Delph and with the cold east wind we would cast four rods each into the Delph and retreat back down the Bedford river bank taking it in turns to watch the floats while the other would be in charge of the Primas brewing tea and bacon sarnies. Those were the days, we would fish two hours into dark and Drive back to Brum, no speaking until Peterborough as our jaws were frozen!!!! 

100_3057.jpg

203 Pigeons and 1 Jackdaw

as you say mega day  your getting into your  stride now :good:

I don,t why but everytime we go out and the wind is from the east we struggle to find any birds let alone shoot some  and that was the case today we barely found any number the fields they had been on for weeks were devoid and we never shot any 

Truly amazing bag , while we are making excuse about the bird being unsettled through roost shooting ,  (which they were yesterday :yes: ) you two must now be at the top of the pedestal on P W when it comes to defying the odds week in and week out .

We know all about cold winds with being in sight of the sea on the east coast , this currant spell of cold weather is dubbed , The beast from the East ,  when it freeze the drip on your nose you know its getting cold.

True contenders the pair of you! Backs against the ropes for a couple of weeks earlier on , but back on top now.We never doubted you for a minute.Terrific bag on rape.

What you did not mention was the number of backbreaking journeys to the Disco you had to make?Always the worst part of making a decent bag at this time of year I always think.I have this mental image of the mysterious DB (who never appears in any of your pictures), who is not only a crack shot on pigeons but also is a giant of a man who can carry a bag of 50 pigeons on each shoulder & still chat about Aston Villa's chances of getting back into the Premiership as he walks back to the vehicle?

I too used to fish the Delph for pike (along with the 20 & 30 ft. Drains the other side of Ely) back in the 70's. All I really remember about it was the bitter cold & our attempts to keep warm.We were driven by Barry Rickards' record breaking pike at that time but never came anywhere near to his fish.

1 hour ago, pbutd said:

True contenders the pair of you! Backs against the ropes for a couple of weeks earlier on , but back on top now.We never doubted you for a minute.Terrific bag on rape.

What you did not mention was the number of backbreaking journeys to the Disco you had to make?Always the worst part of making a decent bag at this time of year I always think.I have this mental image of the mysterious DB (who never appears in any of your pictures), who is not only a crack shot on pigeons but also is a giant of a man who can carry a bag of 50 pigeons on each shoulder & still chat about Aston Villa's chances of getting back into the Premiership as he walks back to the vehicle?

I too used to fish the Delph for pike (along with the 20 & 30 ft. Drains the other side of Ely) back in the 70's. All I really remember about it was the bitter cold & our attempts to keep warm.We were driven by Barry Rickards' record breaking pike at that time but never came anywhere near to his fish.

DB is approx 5ft 7, not interested in football and was the youngest of ten, so he tends not to be outdone as the runt of the family. Every part of pigeon shooting is a challenge and he will always rise to the challenge. only two trips back to the disco.

The best Pike off the Delph to our group was a 28lb 12 oz with numerous twenties and even a double figure Zander which was a strange fish back then. happy Days

3 hours ago, JDog said:

Well done that man.

You could have thought of a better title. We are all suffering in this cold east wind but only you have shot 200 pigeons in it.

Thanks JDog, I'm running short of titles and did not want to wind people with " Another Two Hundred Bag on Rape" !!!!

Perhaps I should run my reports past you for editorial comments or corrections????

4 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Thanks JDog, I'm running short of titles and did not want to wind people with " Another Two Hundred Bag on Rape" !!!!

Perhaps I should run my reports past you for editorial comments or corrections????

Yes I will make myself available for editorial duties between 6 and 8 every Saturday evening from now on.

5 hours ago, pbutd said:

What record pike did Rickards have?

2 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

I believe it was 31lbs 08 oz from the Relief Channel  in 1971 a record for the water at the time he had a 32lb fish out of the Great Ouse in 1976.

The Delph produced fish as follows:-

33lb Dave Malin 1973

32lb Mick Tarry 1976

Yes, I have a few of his books. I thought pbutd was on about the National record, as you know Peter Hancock held that with the Horsey fish.