Side by Side Club

AYA117

23 minutes ago, JR111 said:

Hi everyone. New to pigeonwatch forum and recently posted asking for advice with regards a s/s. Lots of good advice. I was informed about the s/s club and thought I would show some of the old guns I'm currently using. No monetary value these days but a joy so shoot.  I'm a fan of old guns and look forward to seeing other old guns people have. 

ps, I hope that this is where I am to post. ( I was asked!)

IMG_0945.jpeg

5B5103F2-8CF4-45C9-B5FF-0CD1BB631F14.jpeg

911BB598-0600-498B-ACA0-C0EC4041C455.jpeg

IMG_6143.jpeg

Very nice 👍 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/09/2023 at 08:27, JohnfromUK said:

I have no intention of selling my Manton, which I don't believe has been sold since the early 19th century as I was given it from a family that had definitely owned it since the 1850s and possibly since new (1810).  I have been variously told that it could be sold (as an antique muzzle loader it could be classed as 'off ticket', though it is on my ticket) if it was not sold 'for use', and I have also been told that it could be sold as it pre-dated mandatory proof, and others have said it must be proved before sale (it is deemed to be in suitable condition to pass proof having plenty of wall thickness and no serious pitting).

As I don't intend to sell, I have never followed up on the correct position.

What a lovely story. Joseph Manton was famous for giving the proof house two fingers at them to require his guns to be proofed. A lot of his guns were never proofed because he felt he was better than the proof house and didn't require his guns to be subjected to this "new testing regime." He said that he didn't need their proof marks to prove him a good gunmaker. What a lot of us say about the GTA today...LOL. I hope yours is one. I would love to own an untested Manton. Don't bother or worry about proof, that girl is old enough to be a legal wall hanger. Only needs to be on ticket if you use it. 

• 3 weeks later...

For a change and by coincidence nearly every member of my small syndicate were shooting side by sides today. 
I took my fathers victor sarasqueta out for the day, most of the others were AYA’s in various guises, yeomans, number 4’s, and a single 25. Along with a like new 70’s Webley 700. 

IMG_3166.jpeg

Edited by BrowningDJC

57 minutes ago, BrowningDJC said:

For a change and by coincidence nearly every member of my small syndicate were shooting side by sides today. 
I took my fathers victor sarasqueta out for the day, most of the others were AYA’s in various guises, yeomans, number 4’s, and a single 25. Along with a like new 70’s Webley 700. 

IMG_3166.jpeg

Sounds like my sort of party.
I shoot twice a season with a group of close friends, some of whom I have known since the 1960’s. 
Out of the ten guns, eight of us never use anything but a SxS and one of the other two will sometimes bring one. The SxS shooters use everything from Baikals to London side locks. And we don’t take the P out of the O/U man.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Sounds like my sort of party.
I shoot twice a season with a group of close friends, some of whom I have known since the 1960’s. 
Out of the ten guns, eight of us never use anything but a SxS and one of the other two will sometimes bring one. The SxS shooters use everything from Baikals to London side locks. And we don’t take the P out of the O/U man.

I’m quite new to side by sides if I’m honest, but I’ve taken the sarasqueta out a couple of days this season, and it’s been enjoyable to use with an ounce of 7’s. 

Wow! A proper shotgun.

On Monday I did something I don’t normally do, and took a peg on a shoot I had never previously visited with a team of guns I did not know. 
On arrival I found that I did actually know two of the others but, better still, at least two other guns were using SxS’s. I only found this out because one of them was drawn next peg to me and on the second drive my wife noticed his gun. Naturally, we got chatting and he told me he likes to be traditional and, despite owning an O/U for clays he will only use one of his SxS’s for game shooting. He showed me his gun and it was an absolutely gorgeous Frederick Beasley side lock, one of the finest guns ever made. 

Wow! A proper shotgun.

On Monday I did something I don’t normally do, and took a peg on a shoot I had never previously visited with a team of guns I did not know. 
On arrival I found that I did actually know two of the others but, better still, at least two other guns were using SxS’s. I only found this out because one of them was drawn next peg to me and on the second drive my wife noticed his gun. Naturally, we got chatting and he told me he likes to be traditional and, despite owning an O/U for clays he will only use one of his SxS’s for game shooting. He showed me his gun and it was an absolutely gorgeous Frederick Beasley side lock, one of the finest guns ever made. 

Lucky ******; the Beasley owner, not you LB 😁

Edited by Penelope

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, BrowningDJC said:

Afternoon All, 

I’ve just purchased a Victor Sarasqueta 20 bore sidelock, with hand detachable locks, and a third bite. I’ll post pictures once I’ve collected it, and hopefully someone may know the model. 

Should go nicely with the 12! 

Was that from mid Norfolk?

17 hours ago, BrowningDJC said:

Afternoon All, 

I’ve just purchased a Victor Sarasqueta 20 bore sidelock, with hand detachable locks, and a third bite. I’ll post pictures once I’ve collected it, and hopefully someone may know the model. 

The Victor Sarasqueta’s were quality guns. I believe he was gunmaker to the King of Spain. 
Do not be tempted by anything signed Felix Sarasqueta!  He was a relative who turned out inferior products, trying to capitalise on Victor’s name.

The Victor Sarasqueta’s were quality guns. I believe he was gunmaker to the King of Spain. 
Do not be tempted by anything signed Felix Sarasqueta!  He was a relative who turned out inferior products, trying to capitalise on Victor’s name.

Absolutely bang on, I have a model 7 and 8 and both very high quality

58 minutes ago, London Best said:

For anyone interested, there is a cracking 12 bore Victor Sarasqueta sidelock for sale at Gryphon Sporting. Looks a lovely gun retaining almost all colour case hardening. At £320 it’s got to be a bargain. Also, Alan is a nice guy to deal with.

When talking about the Spanish guns, one has to bear in mind that 'quality' need to be more than skin deep.  For two examples, in my view (and these are my own views) -

1. An AyA Yeoman, though 'basic, no frills', is actually made from decent materials, and whilst not highly finished, is well put together.  Popular guns and deservedly so.
  2. A 'highly spec'd' sidelock, Spanish made and proofed, but bearing an "English" sounding name - heavily advertised and promoted in the UK some years ago (and very 'cheap' for what they purported to be).  It has all the 'features', but the wood is poor, the wood to metal fit is poor, the engraving is profuse, but crudely executed, internals are crude and badly finished and (apparently) the metal material is 'soft'.  I knew someone who owned one and it was forever in trouble with broken springs, 'mushroomed' and bent metal parts.  Fortunately I don't think they are trading now, but there are some about and some of their models were better than others (came from several different Spanish sources I believe).

As has been mentioned earlier, care is needed because the same 'name' can be different workshops and they are not all as well made as might be assumed.

I've recently bought a new boxlock,  Churchill Utility XXV 1934 patent assisted opener. It has a long stock and good wall thickness. It's 2.5" and I'll keep my cartridges to 1oz.

So my cased Webley 700 (26" with Churchill Rib) is going into auction. I bought it probably 13/14 years ago from an advert on here and it's served me well.  Sad to see it go but I wouldn't use it over the Churchill. I enjoy carrying and shooting these short barreled guns, they make instinctive shooting easier and I find pushing my left hand further down the barrels keeps them from moving too fast.

Polish_20240315_220743315.jpg

IMG-20240314-WA0005.jpg

Edited by theshootist

7 hours ago, theshootist said:

I've recently bought a new boxlock,  Churchill Utility XXV 1934 patent assisted opener. It has a long stock and good wall thickness. It's 2.5" and I'll keep my cartridges to 1oz.

So my cased Webley 700 (26" with Churchill Rib) is going into auction. I bought it probably 13/14 years ago from an advert on here and it's served me well.  Sad to see it go but I wouldn't use it over the Churchill. I enjoy carrying and shooting these short barreled guns, they make instinctive shooting easier and I find pushing my left hand further down the barrels keeps them from moving too fast.

Polish_20240315_220743315.jpg

IMG-20240314-WA0005.jpg

Both have lovely wood on them.

I have always preferred shorter barrels ever since I first shot one about 1966. 
Perfect for hedge hopping driven partridge and driven grouse (not that I can afford to shoot driven grouse!), and much handier for walked up shooting.  
And I have not found short barrels to be any handicap even on serious Welsh pheasants. 
Enjoy using your new gun, it is part of British shooting’s history.

4 hours ago, Penelope said:

Don't they.

The top one reminds me of my dad's Hellis cross eyed stocked gun.

It's not a cross over stock. It will be in the next Southams auction. Its an amazing time to buy Birmingham boxlocks especially as they have never been cheaper relatively (I think!). 

8 hours ago, theshootist said:

It's not a cross over stock. It will be in the next Southams auction. Its an amazing time to buy Birmingham boxlocks especially as they have never been cheaper relatively (I think!). 

I know, but the figure in the wood is very similar.

A gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears  quoted by a famous  sxs shot . enclosed are three north -east makers 

Feltwad

Dalkin of Bernard Castle

Rowntree  of Barnard Castle

Thompson of Hexham  Pinfire

100_1362.JPG

100_3058.JPG

100_3046.JPG

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I believe it was King George V.  The present King's great grandfather

Ah yes. Unlike George VI the man who preferred cheap Purdey guns to Boss guns. LOL. "A Boss gun, a Boss gun. Bloody beautiful but too bloody expensive." Whereas having shot a Purdey and owned a Boss I'd actually say that the acme is any well timed gun made using Holland's 1922 patent self opening system or copies thereof.

Edited by enfieldspares

48 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

having shot a Purdey and owned a Boss I'd actually say that the acme is any well timed gun made using Holland's 1922 patent self opening system or copies thereof.

Never owned either, but having shot Purdeys and double gun loaded with many, and a few Boss’ too, I settled on a self opening Holland.