ditchman

cant be bovered with the faff of gardening anymore..............really pleased with my roses this year...spayed em at the right time....cople of years ago my arbour rotted and started to fall down...so i took it down and burnt it.....but there was a nice but unhealthy scaggy old climber rose on one couner............

so rather that bin it i welded up a skeleton to contain it.....one piece of 1" box and couple of pieces of 3mm thick strapping....bande the muther 2' into the ground and bent the strapping around....so it gave the stringy bits a metalic bearhug.......then cut the suckers off and gave it a bit of shape

2 years later ...it aint half bad.........................it loves its new position............also encouaged a "micro spinney"...with fern a few rotting logs cotoniaster...xmas rose and a twisted hazel....which is 40 years old...me old mum had it in a pot for 20 years as a Bonzi..thingy....then i had it in same pot for a few years  didnt look after it....so i set it free 12 years ago.....and it grew boy...

sorry rubbish post...............(at a loose end) after a hard day)...

:crazy::lol:

roses this year 001tn_.JPG

roses this year 002tn_.JPG

roses this year 006tn_.JPG

1 minute ago, JDog said:

Ditchy you are obviously a rose expert.

You have enough to take some stems off and have them in the house. Your Mrs might appreciate it.

she has already done that....................i have heard that roses like to be tret rough like......:hmm:

Roses appear to have done well all over this year. Mine have been the best in 20 odd years. I have a guy come in and help occasionally and he is mustard at pruning roses.  Almost all of ours wee purchased up in your country Ditchy, Attleborough. Drove over there 20yrs ago and ordered them. They have been stunning every year.

DSCF2103 (800x533).jpg

DSCF2116 (800x533).jpg

DSCF2100 (800x533).jpg

DSCF2101 (800x533).jpg

look loverly on that old barn wall...................do they scent well in the evening..................thought of planting a rake of nicotinous (tobacco flowers) next year ...the scent off them at night is something else..

27 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Roses appear to have done well all over this year. Mine have been the best in 20 odd years. I have a guy come in and help occasionally and he is mustard at pruning roses.  Almost all of ours wee purchased up in your country Ditchy, Attleborough. Drove over there 20yrs ago and ordered them. They have been stunning every year.

DSCF2103 (800x533).jpg

DSCF2116 (800x533).jpg

DSCF2100 (800x533).jpg

DSCF2101 (800x533).jpg

Its going to be a long while before our climbing roses look like yours , although if ours end up half as nice as yours they will be well worth waiting for .

We always call in there ( Peter Beales ) when I sell my pigeons in nearby Watton , the gardens in there are something else with a lot of gold winning exhibits from the Chelsea flower show , if you re on holiday in that area it is well worth having a look in the gardens , café and gift shop , you wont be disappointed , and more importantly , its free entry and car parking is also free .

Sorry to hijack the post but I have a rose related question. Can any rose be trained to climb a wall or are there specific cultivars that a designed for it? I am no gardener but have to rose either side of a window and would like get up and round it.

Dithman yours look very pleasant indeed.?

There are 'climbers' and 'ramblers' very different.   Probably pull them up on google and it will all be explained.   If the roses you have are bush roses then they will not be easy to persuade to do what you wish.

I would suggest a climber rather than a rambler for training around a door.   I have an American Pillar rambler which now spans about 25ft along a garage wall  and is still growing.  the rose in the photo on the corner of our garage name 'Meg' is a superb climber and easly restrained and trained although still a large plant.

Edited by Walker570

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

There are 'climbers' and 'ramblers' very different.   Probably pull them up on google and it will all be explained.   If the roses you have are bush roses then they will not be easy to persuade to do what you wish.

I would suggest a climber rather than a rambler for training around a door.   I have an American Pillar rambler which now spans about 25ft along a garage wall  and is still growing.  the rose in the photo on the corner of our garage name 'Meg' is a superb climber and easly restrained and trained although still a large plant.

Thanks for that Walker.

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

I will second the use of "Meg" - we have had it trained along a fence line in a vulnerable spot, makes for an excellent "barbed" fence once established    :good:

Yep, gloves definitely required when handling or pruning, but isn't that normal for beautiful women:rolleyes:

Ramblers are not usually used when tying out and training are required as they are too unruly. They also only flower on previous year’s growth so they look untidy most of the time. Ramblers also only flower once. Climbers flower on growth of the year and can be encouraged by judicious pruning to flower twice and even three times in a season if correctly pruned at exactly the right time.

Rambling rector. The most prolific rose I've come across. Can easily grow 12 feet if not 20 in a year. Flowers for about 3 weeks. It's been moved to a boundary hedge now as the beast was too much. Excellent for keeping people out and the trimming was done with a hedge trimmer. 

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

Rambling rector. The most prolific rose I've come across. Can easily grow 12 feet if not 20 in a year. Flowers for about 3 weeks. It's been moved to a boundary hedge now as the beast was too much. Excellent for keeping people out and the trimming was done with a hedge trimmer. 

awsome dude...:lol:my type of garening ..