Roof madness or genius

The Mighty Prawn

Evening all

short story is the whole roof needs replacing including most timbers so while they have the roof off is it crazy to take ceiling of bedroom out and add stairs to make remaining loft a mezzanine level?

all shooting gear up there so access to that improved for me as well as other useful storeage.

just thought of it tonight but does it sound like recipe for disaster?

A major consideration (obviously in addition to cost) would be heat/insulation.

• A high space can be cold and difficult to heat in winter (the heat rises to the top, and cold air falls which can cause a considerable cold draught.  Convection circulation occurs in higher spaces)
  • It can also get very hot in summer at the higher level, which isn't ideal for storage
  • Insulation of the sloping part is more difficult (but by no means impossible) compared to just above the ceiling
  • You may (subject to planning) be able to put a Velux in - the triple glazed versions are well insulated (I have two and they are excellent).

In addition, the height available may be a consideration ......... it is a nuisance if you can only stand upright in the centre.  Staircases also take a surprising amount of room.

Edited by JohnfromUK

If your removing the roof I’d say your doing well to keep the ceiling joists as they should be tied in together on the wall plate.

remember if you open up the loft it means you’ve got to fit self closing firedoors on the first floor . 

As already said you loose loads of space too.

is that why your howa was rusty ;) with no roof on lol

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

If your removing the roof I’d say your doing well to keep the ceiling joists as they should be tied in together on the wall plate.

remember if you open up the loft it means you’ve got to fit self closing firedoors on the first floor . 

As already said you loose loads of space too.

is that why your howa was rusty ;) with no roof on lol

I was wondering about this; I’m assuming it’s a conventional trussed roof with no ridge beam? Are you putting in a Dormer? Lots of things to consider. 

Architect. Building regs. Structural engineer.

As long as it works it sounds like the ideal time to do it. One lot of mess as if replacing the roof all the ceilings would be done too (as mentioned above I would be very surprised if you can keep ceiling joists when removing rafters)

Let us know how it goes.

Edd

As most have said ideal time if ur house/roof space allow it (might depend on size and age of house and type of roof design)

I would imagine wit a normal pitched roof u wont have masses of space in loft at 6ft.

My old house had coombed ceilings in the bedrooms, but for the space to be livable the building/roof design had raised wall heads  (so walls above ceiling hieght,)

I'd get an architect (or atleast a decent joiner) involved soonest so u can see if its vaible, any costs and apply for a building warrant (which will likely take 2-3mnths)

Thanks for the input team, seems like I’d be opening a potentially expensive job for not much gain so maybe just the roof swap!

TT i hadn’t even thought I might lose my upstairs ceilings when the roof comes off, there’s a free barrel of nightmare right there, glad I’ve just replastered one of the rooms including ceiling

I'd 2nd wot big bob said, all the above advice is good but u really need to see an architect/knowledgeable person who can  look at ur specific house/roof structure and layout and see wot possibilities u have and then wot u can afford.

Even putting slightly more expensive attic trusses in now just in case u want to develop upstairs into a proper bedroom sometime in future if u need it or can afford it (and u'll end u with a decent open storage space in the meantime too)

If i'm honest and the fact u have thought about it u might kick urself in the future if u don't get some sort of expert round for an opinion.

Now is the ideal time to consider it, u'll never do it in the future when u have a brand new roof

I still regret not dorma'ing half my old house roof 15yrs ago, the roof needed reslated anyway and house was empty as i stripped it back to sandstone,, i could of probably got an extra badroom and upstairs bathroom with the space i stole from the coonbs/roof

vaulted ceiling, big steel for ridge. 9"rafters with 150mm celotex inbetween rafters plus 50mm over the rafters, you can put your mezzanine in the bedrooms . as far as i'm aware as long as it's open plan then it doesn't need extra fire regs like door closers as it's not technically a three floor dwelling, you may want to extend the dividing walls between the rooms up to the new ceiling though