Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lloyd90

Pulling them down!!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Was out with one of the club lads today, full of man flu but would rather sit in the hide that in the house! 

We setup just after 12 and had a steady stream of birds coming past for 2 hours, however they just wouldn’t commit and come down from the height. 

 

I very luckily managed to hit one bird hard and bring it down from the atmosphere but apart from that every we had was in strong wind at extreme speed and range. 

 

Its a shame as there were birds coming between two woods all thw time we were there but just wouldn’t come down to our decoys 😞 

 

Any tips on pulling them down into range? 

Edited by Lloyd90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lloyd, that’s what we would all like to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem earlier, after getting annoyed, i moved the pattern further out to 60 yards, opened it to roughly 40 yards wide (18 shell - 6 on spring sticks) then they flew on for 60 yards and turned around and came into 30 yards. Had a dozen in the end. 

I believe my pattern was too dense and was putting them off. Shame only realised in the last hour 😭

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JDog said:

Lloyd, that’s what we would all like to know.

Let me know when you figure it out mate :) lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I had the same problem earlier, after getting annoyed, i moved the pattern further out to 60 yards, opened it to roughly 40 yards wide (18 shell - 6 on spring sticks) then they flew on for 60 yards and turned around and came into 30 yards. Had a dozen in the end. 

I believe my pattern was too dense and was putting them off. Shame only realised in the last hour 😭

 

+1, exactly the same problem, after 2 hours I opened the pattern out to much larger area than normal, took in the floaters and magnet, so just a static display, suddenly they were turning around and floating back over the decoys for a look, only managed 6 but very pleased to get any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B725 said:

Did you take Ted? 

No mate left him at home. 

Would have been no birds shot for him anyway. 

I’ve shot over him and he was fine but never lots of shots one after the other. Wondered if that would be too much. 

 

Do you take yours in the hide? When did you start? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 first there were decoys (wooden)     then came the manual flapper......................................then the rotary was invented.....................................we need another inovation...the tecknology is available...what will it be..

Edited by ditchman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The coooer 

i think it has to be visual....or some mind control ray/beam..............innovation will fill the vacumn.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sexy .super hot flirtatious  pigeon .

To attract boy pigeons .

And the hunky action pigeon to entice the girl pigeons ?? 

Perhaps 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

No mate left him at home. 

Would have been no birds shot for him anyway. 

I’ve shot over him and he was fine but never lots of shots one after the other. Wondered if that would be too much. 

 

Do you take yours in the hide? When did you start? 

Stan went regularly from 8 month with and without a hide just so he learnt that lot's of shots didn't mean there was anything for him, he sits calmly in a hide 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lloyd, I see you're Bristol based. So am I. Roughly, where were you shooting. I ask because just north of Bristol between the A38 and the Severn there is Sweet Fanny Adams pigeon wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Lloyd, I see you're Bristol based. So am I. Roughly, where were you shooting. I ask because just north of Bristol between the A38 and the Severn there is Sweet Fanny Adams pigeon wise.

 

Sorry mate not being rude but I can’t divulge location as I’d be in big trouble with the club. 

It’s Bristol 12 Bore Club though if You want to apply to join 👍🏻.

 

Bristol doesn’t have pigeons like other parts of the country sadly I don’t think I’ll ever see days of huge bags but there are small pockets or areas about - I have a bag of around 15ish I think last year. 

For me that’s a good day :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ditchman said:

 first there were decoys (wooden)     then came the manual flapper......................................then the rotary was invented.....................................we need another inovation...the tecknology is available...what will it be.. DRONES , dressed as pigeons ???

As far as technology goes, I think ( hope ) we have reached the peak , do the modern pigeon shooter thinks for himself now ? or just rely on putting battery operated gadgets out and hope for the best.:hmm: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Observation is always they key. Those pigeons which Lloyd saw were feeding somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JDog said:

Observation is always they key. Those pigeons which Lloyd saw were feeding somewhere.

They most certainly were , and would it been more beneficial to have followed them and tried to obtain permission from the land owner while seeing numbers feeding on his crop ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

 

Sorry mate not being rude but I can’t divulge location as I’d be in big trouble with the club. 

It’s Bristol 12 Bore Club though if You want to apply to join 👍🏻.

 

Bristol doesn’t have pigeons like other parts of the country sadly I don’t think I’ll ever see days of huge bags but there are small pockets or areas about - I have a bag of around 15ish I think last year. 

For me that’s a good day  

Hi Lloyd. No, you're not being rude. Position understood. Thanks for club tip. Will give it some thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, marsh man said:

They most certainly were , and would it been more beneficial to have followed them and tried to obtain permission from the land owner while seeing numbers feeding on his crop ?

We tried that but lost them through some woodland. 

 

A drone would be handy to follow them as Ditchman kindly suggested 😂😂😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant! grey and white drones, they have to be the latest thing in decoying, we have the technology!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...