Find Madelaine.

Cranfield

The McCann’s left their children unattended in an apartment in a foreign country 50m away. That's not taking your eyes of them.

Jonsey

It was actually about 250m from the overhead site photos and they did not even have line of sight of the apartment. It might have well have been 250 km. Because of their selfishness a life has been lost :D

A mistake or inattention may and should be forgiven, neglect cannot and should not.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for the parents and understand a lot of the comments on here but who knows how we'd react faced with the loss of a child? I have children too and know, with the benefit of hindsight, I have made mistakes. Some it seems (and I'm not necessarily referring to those on here) are quick to judge while conveniently being of the 'never me' variety.

If I'm honest I'm not sure what to make of it all and do not know enough to make a judgement about them. I do know there has been a lot of the anti middle class brigade out saying the working class would never do what they did - what cr*p. What this has to do with class I don't know - those I have heard simply sound like people haters to me who simply like bringing class into it to have a pop at them.

Have the parents done the right thing, who knows? Surely they have been advised by the Police and authorities since the beginning on the best way forward (right or wrong)? God knows I wouldn't want to be in their position - a lost child and the world to fight.

Following a previous conversation I had with you Cranfield I agree.

If they were 'normal' parents the media splash would have died the tabloid death in a few days or so as the next celeb was discovered to be in rehab.

I have no idea if there is there was any thing funny going on but the bottom line is a child is missing and may very well be dead.

What I do know is the Portuguese, and I believe the French, have a good system regarding crime by not giving out all the details to tabloids so when a trial commences the verdict hasn't already been decided by the gutter press.

The Birmingham and Guildford bombings spring to my mind as I was made very aware of the guilty ******** when I was at school which included some heavy duty kickings and one that left me in a coma.

Thankfully hanging was no longer practised.

LB

Well, having read all posts previous to this its good to know that two things are true

1, We live in a blame culture, her parents are to blame for what happened. Whenever something goes wrong lets look to place blame rather than resolve the problem.

2, There but for the grace of God, amazing that no one will admit to having done the same as them.

Yep, lets bring them home and try them for manslaughter, hell it wont bring her back but it will, err, what exactly ? At the risk of getting a ban f*s its a little girl who is missing, presumed dead by pessimists, if she was yours would you curl up into a little ball and accept it ? Or given the chance jump at every opportunity to either stop abductions in the future and bring it to a global media ?

Point is none of us ( I hope to God ) will ever be in this awful situation so binman or barrister makes no odds, she was loved and to imply anything sinister on the part of her parents is totally fd up.

Well, having read all posts previous to this its good to know that two things are true

1, We live in a blame culture, her parents are to blame for what happened. Whenever something goes wrong lets look to place blame rather than resolve the problem.

2, There but for the grace of God, amazing that no one will admit to having done the same as them.

Yep, lets bring them home and try them for manslaughter, hell it wont bring her back but it will, err, what exactly ? At the risk of getting a ban f*s its a little girl who is missing, presumed dead by pessimists, if she was yours would you curl up into a little ball and accept it ? Or given the chance jump at every opportunity to either stop abductions in the future and bring it to a global media ?

Point is none of us ( I hope to God ) will ever be in this awful situation so binman or barrister makes no odds, she was loved and to imply anything sinister on the part of her parents is totally fd up.

Personally,,,,,,,,,,,I just hope and wish that if it was done, ,,it was done quick..........and that she didnt have to go through anything else.

IMO her parents should be hauled over the coals......................no ifs...........no buts..................no matter who, when, where they have spoken to. I couldnt give a flying F if they have touched the pope..............had a brew with Mr Blair......

THEY ARE TO BLAME............................ITS THERE FAULT....................Yes,,,,,,you have either Killed your own child.......Or had them sexually assualted and ruined the rest of their lives..................

I dont pray,,,,,,,,,,,,,I dont do god..................Maddy, where ever you are............................I feel for you.

I dont do god either, it was a turn of phrase not a religious comment.

Your post leaves me utterly speechless, wont comment further as I`ve had a beer and know when to admit it. No need for harsh words, prefer to agree to differ.

I think that any parent will be feeling for the parents and family of Maddie and hoping that we will never be in that position but if you are if the unthinkable happens to you then should we judge you rather than support you?

I think that the parents of Maddie are beating themselves up enough without strangers doing it aswell.

No offence.

Bud, no attack on any religious bits..........

I have a seven year old upstairs, tucked up tight in bed..............the most precious thing that I have...

We have lost 2 babies.

We have another one on the way....

I would never be in a position where I would leave 2 babes in arms, and a small toddler in a room, in a foreign country on their own............be I 5 yards or 500 yards away.....

That is irresponsible.............and think its about time that someone in the press actualy stood still for a second and said..........Hey........you know what..........your **** parents...

they deserve all of the bad things that happen to them.

the only ONE person in this that doesnt.............is a poor little girl............

You lot are going to LOVE me then.

I have Just read all the posts, again, regarding Madeline and leaving kids alone.

Well I left mine on a regular basis, although within running/shouting range, without any problems and have no issues whatsoever with my concienscence.

90% of child abuse is carried out by your FAMILY and FRIENDS.

Thats right, you know your children's abusers.

The child death rate is no worse that it was at the turn of the last century the only differnce now is the media have instant access to any reports.

You can lose a child by turning around in a supermarket :D

LB

Digger

They may well be beating themselves up inside and so they should. I have not heard them utter anything like an admission that they were appallingly negligent at best. They seem to think that what they did was okay - they just got a little unlucky?:D?:)??

They do hide their grief quite well when jetting off somewhere else or on TV. My wife who is far less cynical thinks they are a very odd couple. I feel that she is very charitable.

You lot are going to LOVE me then.

You can lose a child by turning around in a supermarket :(

LB

As parents, we take "reasonable" steps to ensure the safety of our children.

I don't see how locking up your kids (very young ones) and ******* off for a meal is a "reasonable" step.

I feel sorry for the poor girl, every day i switch on the PC or TV in hope to hear that they have found her live and well...but nothing.

I just hope that some sad couple have her and she is being looked after as best as possible But the parents...who in hell would leave their children like they did to go out for a meal....they must have a screw loose in their heads or something.

I dont care how far away they were from the room, they neglated their kids....and they are paying the price for that..

Hope they find her soon

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
I have to agree with you, some aspects have been worrying me for sometime now. Unfortunately I am a self confessed cynic although blessed with a sense of reasoning which helps to keep a balanced outlook on life :lol:

The Portugese police handling of the investigation was flawed to say the least and the little girl slipped the net by the time they had got their backsides into gear,I to am uncomfortable with the parents behaviour which is more than a little strange, the other question is just who is caring for the other children throughout all this globetrotting?

I sincerly believe there will be a twist to the kidnapping and dissappearance, I think we all need some form of closure on this

with the persons responsible found and brought to justice.

:( D2D

Further developments being the finding of what might be blood on the wall of the apartment,found and now being analysed by the BRITISH police! The Portugese police at best can only be descibed as amatures to have missed this?

I read somewhere that on the night she dissappeared there were roadworks nearby and some holes were filled in that very next morning,yet they have not been excavated to rule out the awful possibility.........

All along I have not been entirely comfortable with the parents behaviour, lets hope the truth comes out soon and justice is seen to be done as befits this terrible crime.

:yes: D2D

This is obviously a very emotive subject and I in no way wish to fan the flames but; A couple of years ago a young girl was abducted from her bat in Newcastle. The girl was abused but was returned to her mother. This happened in Britain, not abroad

How many times have we all put the kids to bed and then went to the bottom of the garden to finish off the BBQ with a few beers with the parents. I do it frequently in summer. Paced out is is probably 50 m to the bedroom to the bottom of the garden.

I am sure there are people on here with bigger gardens than mine.

Is this neglect?

Is it child dereliction?

If it is then I for one am guilty

It can happen anywhere. If the sickos want it they will try everything to get it.

I do not like the Mcann's for I feel they are publicity greedy weirdos who should be back in the country rather than gadding about around the world but I feel that to blame them and ask them to be tried for manslaughter is a bit strong.

JDF

JDF, I think there is a lot of truth in what you say, but when we are at home, there are a few different circumstances than when we are away from home.

Firstly, the child is aware of their surroundings, even in the dark and is not likely to go wandering about where they shouldn't.

Secondly, Houses are normally more secure than a lot of holiday accommodation, where you can often go from one balcony to another, enter through open windows etc.

You also have neighbourhood security, where strangers around would be noticed, nobody notices strangers on holiday, where everyone is a stranger.

Admittedly, no home is a fortress against the determined person, but at least we can make ours slightly harder to get into than the next one.

I think Mrs McCann seems to be affected greatly by guilt over the sad incident, but her husband seems to almost enjoy the exposure and publicity.

That is what I think sickens most people.

Its now been reported in the newspapers that the rumours in Portugal are that the child could have been involved in a fatal accident, or even murdered in the apartment.

The family and other friends in their holiday group are apparently under suspicion and roadworks near their villa which consisted of open trenches at the time and have now been filled in, may be dug up.

The website hasn't been updated much in the last 12 days, as it still shows donation totalling £946,843.92p, but they do now take PayPal.

You cannot help feeling sorrow for them (and Madeline) but there is a strong part of me that SHOUTS that they should be held accountable.......

My instinct shouts to me that something is wrong with these two. Quite what it is I'm unsure; is it just my morality or my sense of criminality?

I believe it's your sense of parenting. As has been said somewhere else, leaving your children in familiar surroundings with neighbourhood watch schemes, etc, would be bad enough. So to do it on holiday....?

I've never seen it stated what the law is in Portugal regarding leaving kids unattended. If they've committed any crime it will have been in Portugal and that's where they'd face a court........

Jamie Bulger's mum took her eye off him in a busy shopping centre - should she have been prosecuted?

Do we really need laws for good parenting? We live in the real world where peado's, burglers, etc. live. Do we need to be told to keep an eye on our children, or leave them with someone trusted or in authority?

After Jamie Bulger, a lot of those wrist straps were sold; experience is a harsh teacher, I've heard it said. But I've had four children, the eldest is nearly 21 and has his own family, my youngest is just 6, with two other daughters in between.

Whenever I've been shopping they've always held onto my hand, or I've carried them or sat them on my shoulders. If they wanted to run ahead, I always set a distance/boundry, one that I could easily get to (10yds?) and never let them out of my sight.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't want to end up in the situation of either of the above parents..... and do what I can to prevent it.

I have no constructive comment to make save that I hope their other children are being properly looked after whilst they are away from home.

Agree with Digger, there but for the grace of god etc.

Also though, I have the feeling in the water that somethings not right - maybe it's just the Portuguese police inability to get anything right.

Yes indeed I agree with Browning, Cranfield you have found a very sound article by Chris Freind, The Bulletin 08/10/2007.

I hope one of the British press repeat his questions.......and I still say the accounts should be open and transparent since they are a company acting as a charity and relying on donations.