Starters kit

I don’t have a perm yet but didn’t want to go round looking for one without kit so I've purchased 5mx1.5m a clear view Camo net £12 a cheap woodland Camo screen same size£10 ,a stool and 12 flock half shells poles I’ve just been informed to get washing line poles from wilko .ive got an 80 litre burgen to carry it all in is this enough for a basic starter kit 

12 minutes ago, JDog said:

That sounds fine to me. Just make sure if you do set up that the screen net you have completely hides you. That clearview netting is only good for the top few inches of the hide.

That’s why I bought the other so it doubles up... had a good teacher👍

I wouldn't get washing line poles, but that's just me. I bought a set of hide poles, with solid spike and foot peg and they are still going strong 7 or 8 years later, the cheaper ones I had before that didn't last 5 mins being pushed into baked hard summer ground. 

54 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I don’t have a perm yet but didn’t want to go round looking for one without kit so I've purchased 5mx1.5m a clear view Camo net £12 a cheap woodland Camo screen same size£10 ,a stool and 12 flock half shells poles I’ve just been informed to get washing line poles from wilko .ive got an 80 litre burgen to carry it all in is this enough for a basic starter kit 

Check out your local auction house to see if they have a sporting auction , we have one near us that have two a year and you would be able to pick up all the kit you would need at a decent price , like kennett above I wouldn't use the cheap linen line props , far to much messing about with putting a point and a kick plate on to make them workable , maybe good enough if you only go now and again but if you go a lot you would need something a bit more sturdy .

Some of the kit you can make it yourself or buying something that will do the job just as well as the dearer version , such as props to put under the chin , a packet of kebab sticks from the pound shop will be ideal and if you lose any it wont break the bank , you will also need some cradles to show your decoys above the level of the crop you are shooting over , these you can also make yourself from old fencing wire , other bits and pieces are not essential but they can make a days pigeon shooting go that much smoother , you wouldn't need all the bits I have in my game bag but whatever I have got I have used it at least once , such as twine , spring clips , secateurs , fold up saw and several other useful items .

No body have mentioned mechanical aids so neither will I , but you will need some movement in your decoy pattern , the cheapest way would be a couple of extendable floaters , these you put in your pole bag and the extra weight would be well worth it .

Once you make a start you will find in time what else would be an advantage with you kit and you will be for ever adding little bits to what you have already got . GOOD LUCK .

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

take it you have a gun..:hmm:

Thought That if I put the decoys near enough to the hide I could jump out and wrestle them in to submission or just give the a good talking to like a priest in a confession box and set them On the path to righteousness 

12 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Thought That if I put the decoys near enough to the hide I could jump out and wrestle them in to submission or just give the a good talking to like a priest in a confession box and set them On the path to righteousness 

ive already tried that................with modest success.............ive worked my way up to the catapult now ..:lol:

i do have a gun...but tend to leave it at home..........as when i am out without it i see hundreds....so i go and get it...and i see none..........

god knows why i became deluded enough to join pigeonwatch....for the birds i see around here it should be called Pigeonfantasy...

sell your kit now before its toooo late we are all dooomed i tell ee doomed...

best of luck :good:

Edited by ditchman

15 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Missed one thing i need some binoculars 

As Tightchoke said, try your local charity shop. I picked up a pair of perfectly good 8x40 binoculars for £4 only last week. Don`t really need them as I`ve got two other better pairs, but just couldn`t resist a bargain.

OB

eBay the clear view is  really good placed it in front of some pink flamingos the missus as in the garden and couldn’t see them 

36 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello,    where did you get the camo nets, ? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392262755238

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382122516310

Edited by Jacko3275

1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

eBay the clear view is  really good placed it in front of some pink flamingos the missus as in the garden and couldn’t see them 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392262755238

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382122516310

hello, thanks, not to keen on clear view although i have some to cover motor, i ordered the normal camo type one, cheers

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thanks, not to keen on clear view although i have some to cover motor, i ordered the normal camo type one, cheers

Your welcome after all the advice I have received on PW in the short time I have been a member it’s nice to help someone out 

21 hours ago, marsh man said:

Check out your local auction house to see if they have a sporting auction , we have one near us that have two a year and you would be able to pick up all the kit you would need at a decent price , like kennett above I wouldn't use the cheap linen line props , far to much messing about with putting a point and a kick plate on to make them workable , maybe good enough if you only go now and again but if you go a lot you would need something a bit more sturdy .

Some of the kit you can make it yourself or buying something that will do the job just as well as the dearer version , such as props to put under the chin , a packet of kebab sticks from the pound shop will be ideal and if you lose any it wont break the bank , you will also need some cradles to show your decoys above the level of the crop you are shooting over , these you can also make yourself from old fencing wire , other bits and pieces are not essential but they can make a days pigeon shooting go that much smoother , you wouldn't need all the bits I have in my game bag but whatever I have got I have used it at least once , such as twine , spring clips , secateurs , fold up saw and several other useful items .

No body have mentioned mechanical aids so neither will I , but you will need some movement in your decoy pattern , the cheapest way would be a couple of extendable floaters , these you put in your pole bag and the extra weight would be well worth it .

Once you make a start you will find in time what else would be an advantage with you kit and you will be for ever adding little bits to what you have already got . GOOD LUCK .

I wouldn't go as far to say that one "needs" movement whilst decoying, though it can help.

You might find that in high summer on bright days that the clear view is best above u like a roof. With a shooting window out front/up a bit. 

This keeps u cool and stops the birds (crows especially ) looking in your hide from above and shying away .

I have a machete as an essential tool for hide making .would be without it .

As far as the washing line poles .it depends on your ground .i shoot over lowland areas so the ground is always soil with no rock and pretty soft unless its been very hot for weeks. 

1 hour ago, motty said:

I wouldn't go as far to say that one "needs" movement whilst decoying, though it can help.

You know as well as me that this time of the year on tall crops movement is a huge advantage and if the op haven't got a magnet or a flapper his cheapest way out is with one or two floaters , if he was shooting a patch of blown barley he would have to be bang on with his set up if he couldn't show any movement above the patch he was shooting .

I bet a pound to a penny that the majority of members treat a magnet or a flapper as there everyday piece of kit and would not set up without one , tell me , when did you last shoot without one as in a lot of your video's you are using two .

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

You know as well as me that this time of the year on tall crops movement is a huge advantage and if the op haven't got a magnet or a flapper his cheapest way out is with one or two floaters , if he was shooting a patch of blown barley he would have to be bang on with his set up if he couldn't show any movement above the patch he was shooting .

I bet a pound to a penny that the majority of members treat a magnet or a flapper as there everyday piece of kit and would not set up without one , tell me , when did you last shoot without one as in a lot of your video's you are using two .

I totally agree. A magnet for me is a very useful tool, and one that I would rather not be without. However, I know shooters that shoot as many pigeons as the next man with just static dead birds.

Also, I reckon I still would have shot over 100 on the clover the other day with no moving decoys.

3 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

Decoys get here Friday so the most important thing I need now is a permission so as of sat I best get my polite voice on and get asking 

Good luck. You may be surprised by the positive response you get. I gained permission on 100 acres of peas just yesterday, when i thought the farmer would most likely refuse.

9 hours ago, motty said:

I totally agree. A magnet for me is a very useful tool, and one that I would rather not be without. However, I know shooters that shoot as many pigeons as the next man with just static dead birds.

Also, I reckon I still would have shot over 100 on the clover the other day with no moving decoys.

Good bags are still very much achievable with out mechanical aids in this day and age , good bags were the norm pre magnet days as what you never had you never missed , but the difference in the past was a lot less pressure on the pigeon as there is now , so finding a field that was virtually untouched was fairly common ,  if pigeons had been going on a certain field for ages without getting shot at then it wasn't the hardest thing in the world to get a good bag , now with forums like P W and facebook there are a lot more people who have access to how to go about getting pigeon shooting and then how to go about shooting pigeons once they have got it .

This is where the magnet comes into play , nearly every video shows a magnet in use and people shooting good numbers , then at the other end of the scale you hear about pigeons flairing away when they get 60 / 70 yards away from the pattern , moving it in , moving it out , from right to left and so on , whereas at the time they might had done better by using a good spread of natural looking decoys and using there field craft , the magnet have got a place in the pigeon shooters kit , but it can easily be over used , and for some people , the hardest bit of using one is turning it off , or better still not putting it out in the first place .