Shot pistols

Tford

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Why would you block all but two cylinders?  Why not a derringer 

We have a crazy license system varies from county to county and if that’s what they say you can have you more or less have to go with it 

probably to do with overall length 

although I know of a pest control officer that had a derringer type.      He says it’s very limited and virtually useless 

24 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Why would you block all but two cylinders?  Why not a derringer 

Because six cylinders would make it a proper revolver, of which us Brits can’t be trusted, unless it has an ungainly over long barrel and an even more ungainly skeleton stock welded to it. 🙂

On 27/06/2019 at 07:31, Scully said:

🙂 Reminds me, back in the days before we became psychopaths a mate and me used to sneak around in and out the farm buildings with our .38/357 revolvers, loaded with shot. The cartridges had a red plastic base containing the powder, and the rest was a clear blue plastic through which you could see the shot. They were .38 Special in length and absolutely useless! 🙂 

We had 38/357 rubber bullets just the case with a primer no powder.

Up to 5 meters they ricoched like a bouncy ball past that they fall was so great the sights couldn't accommodate it.

No idea if they would kill the mice we were ambushing because we never hit one.

Maybe they were for mouse humane dispatch

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Because six cylinders would make it a proper revolver, of which us Brits can’t be trusted, unless it has an ungainly over long barrel and an even more ungainly skeleton stock welded to it. 🙂

Then would a two shot derringer not be better?  This are pretty sweet.  I was under the impression you could have revolvers over there but semi autos had to be really long.  

13E70447-B7B6-4214-A5F1-019ADDAC9957.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dibble said:

We had 38/357 rubber bullets just the case with a primer no powder.

Up to 5 meters they ricoched like a bouncy ball past that they fall was so great the sights couldn't accommodate it.

No idea if they would kill the mice we were ambushing because we never hit one.

Maybe they were for mouse humane dispatch

We have dueling contest useing wax slugs and primers only.  They hurt and would probably kill a mouse.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Or really big ( 1/4 inch or over ) spiders 🤣

Never tried Spiders, if I'm Air Rifle plinking with my children I spread a bit of Jam on some paper next to the targets to tempt in Wasps and Bluebottles.

Should I try non lethal methods first now?

25 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Never tried Spiders, if I'm Air Rifle plinking with my children I spread a bit of Jam on some paper next to the targets to tempt in Wasps and Bluebottles.

Should I try non lethal methods first now?

Unless you want to fall foul of the law , or worse , Packhams punishers, the new GL states that all non lethal methods must be exhausted.
This does not include electric fly swatters, or sticky strips, insects have feelings too you know..and plants..:whistling:

On 26/06/2019 at 20:15, Tford said:

Yes... but I’ve carried it elsewhere!l for many miles, though different terrain, including on my stalking ground... I don’t need to actually carry it on a real stalk to form an opinion.

I’m terribly sorry that I expressed an opinion that doesn’t agree with yours. I shall be sure to run any further thoughts past you first 😁

Anyway back to the question to shot pistol owners....

Why were you carrying it if you were not stalking?

To be honest, you just sound more and more like a nutter who just wants to own a pistol

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Then would a two shot derringer not be better?  This are pretty sweet.  I was under the impression you could have revolvers over there but semi autos had to be really long.  

13E70447-B7B6-4214-A5F1-019ADDAC9957.jpeg

We have dueling contest useing wax slugs and primers only.  They hurt and would probably kill a mouse.  

Both CF revolvers and semi autos need to be really long, unless you're shooting BP, then you can have any barrel length you want. 

Edited by Scully
Auto correct changed 'barrel' to bagel !

You are shooting down into a ditch. Perfectly safe.

If you have a rocky backstop that you don't deem safe for a rifle do you think it's safe to get close enough to despatch a deer with a shot pistol?

Humane despatch has got nothing to do with meat damage, primary concern is ending suffering.

If you think a shot pistol is the ideal tool to despatch a thrashing deer at close range in tight cover you are very much mistaken.

If you have a pistol, then you have the option to use either the pistol or rifle depending on the circumstances, the one bellow would do £50. 

Description: Taurus .32cal Humane Dispatch Pistol. A single shot humane dispatch pistol from Brazil.
Category: .Pistol : Hand guns
Make: Taurus
Model: Single Shot
Certificate Required: Yes
Orientation: Right
Calibre: .32 cal
Mechanism: Double-action
Barrel Length: 75
Overall Length: 200
Price: £50.00
Gun Condition: Second Hand
Edited by ordnance

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Both CF revolvers and semi autos need to be really long, unless you're shooting BP, then you can have any barrel length you want. 

Or  if you have them for humane dispatch. Then its restricted capacity, which isn't a problem.

1 hour ago, ordnance said:

If you have a pistol, then you have the option to use either the pistol or rifle depending on the circumstances, the one bellow would do £50. 

Description: Taurus .32cal Humane Dispatch Pistol. A single shot humane dispatch pistol from Brazil.
Category: .Pistol : Hand guns
Make: Taurus
Model: Single Shot
Certificate Required: Yes
Orientation: Right
Calibre: .32 cal
Mechanism: Double-action
Barrel Length: 75
Overall Length: 200
Price: £50.00
Gun Condition: Second Hand

I used to have one. As I have said before. No reason to carry one deer stalking whatsoever.

It would be a waste of £50.  

16 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Not far off. I have the shorter ones on my hip and the long one across my back. 

I used to carry a Claymore but it was no good if a deer went into a blackthorn hedge. 

you should have carried a Parang as well, just the job for the blackthorn.

5 hours ago, Big Mat said:

To be honest, you just sound more and more like a nutter who just wants to own a pistol

Its not my intention to explain myself, my work, or hobbies to you. Needless to say I have the necessary good reason, and make a decision on the day on what tool most adequately serves the task in hand, be it rifle, shotgun, or pistol

I may sound like a nutter, but you sir sound like an ********.

I have no issue with pistols, I see no reason (other than it is illegal) why people should not own them, target shooting with pistol is an incredibly skilled discipline and I take my hat off to anyone who can shoot one accurately. BUT in my experience they are a waste of time in a stalking scenario, they are a waste of time when following up deer, they have no advantage over a shotgun for RTA work or dispatching livestock. They are a tool I have tried and didn't work for me and it is my belief there are far better options out there

Any vets i see on farms etc here called for humane dispatch use handguns, but what would they know i also know deer stalkers that carry a pistol. As for cutting their throat that depends on what people regard as humane dispatch if you can get that close then accuracy is not a issue, so would a pistol shot to the head not be more humane. ?

Edited by ordnance

6 hours ago, Big Mat said:

And you sound like someone that thinks civilians should not legally own pistols for legitimate reasons.  

35 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Any vets i see on farms etc here called for humane dispatch use handguns, but what would they know i also know deer stalkers that carry a pistol. As for cutting their throat that depends on what people regard as humane dispatch if you can get that close then accuracy is not a issue, so would a pistol shot to the head not be more humane. ?

I know two vets very well here that use captive bolt for HD, I would have thought that would be more the norm for a vet to use. But I confess, I only know two vets. I have despatched quite a lot of livestock in the past for farmers, vets, the police and the RSPCA, sheep, pigs and cows etc as well as deer at roadside. 

As I said before, I used to own a pistol for HD but I got rid of it because it was so niche I found that I rarely actually used it, instead for the vast majority of HD situations I would use a .410 pump, if it was a deer that was mobile I might consider 12bore and AAA but that would be a handful of situations or probably more likely my .270. 

I would never consider taking a pistol stalking when I have a rifle on my back and a knife on my hip. There is just no point. There is zero advantage in having it there in any follow up situation. As I have already said. I know several people that make a living in deer management, as well as people who stalk recreationally, myself included that don't see the need for one, also I know for a fact that they aren't used by FC Wildlife Rangers of which there are something like 50 in England culling somewhere near 10,000 deer every year. They operate under Crown Exemption so they don't even have to worry about applying for them on an FAC or proving good reason. If they were a useful tool, they would have them, as would far more deer stalkers in the UK. 

Again, like I said before, I am not against pistol ownership, I have had them myself and I came to the conclusion that they are a waste of time for HD and certainly for stalking when I already have the option of shotgun or rifle. 

So. My advice to anyone who is thinking they might want one for stalking is... Don't bother spend your money elsewhere. 

If you really want one for Humane Despatch at roadside or of livestock then maybe there is a use for one there but... There is little advantage over a rifle and no advantage over a standard 12bore or .410 shotgun. 

And just to address your point about accuracy. It's always an issue at any range. I have seen pigs snouted with .22lr by stockmen in the past shooting from just a few inches, most HD pistols are drilled out and the barrels ported so you have to near enough place the barrel onto the animals head. If you are that close a knife is more than adequate.

The shot pistols lose any sort of pattern density extremely quickly so again you have to be really close, certainly if you are close enough to have a tight enough pattern with a shot pistol to ensure a clean kill then the deer is incapacitated enough to use a knife. If not... It's away and you are peppering it with number 6 shot in the *** wishing you'd used your perfectly capable rifle that you had on your back the whole time. and, generally speaking if you do get into a wounded deer in thay situation and it legs it, you have to be very lucky to get a second chance. 

1 hour ago, ordnance said:

I'm not saying they aren't used, but I have lived rurally my entire life and have yet to see a vet use a handgun, even for horses during Fair week.....of which there have been quite a few ( Including one pitifully unforgettable occasion on the main road less than 20 yds from the vets house ) over the years. They have always, without exception, used a captive bolt.