Brexit - merged threads

scouser

6 hours ago, tonker said:

Just watched the PM and Junker speeches. It would seem that she has the legally binding changes to the backstop. Let's see what happens in the vote tomorrow.

From what I heard, she claimed one thing (she had a deal that 'solved' the backstop problem), Juncker claimed another (he had changed nothing, but added 'clarifications') ......... but a simple straight true statement never comes from any politicians mouth.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The BBC are making the point that Junkers body language was saying "oh not again"

What? 'Oh, I'm not going to fall over drunk again am I?' 

Or 'Dammit I've had a wee accident again' 

Sorry, forgot, its sciatica! 🤣

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The BBC are making the point that Junkers body language was saying "oh not again"

The BBC trying to throw doubt on something they dont like? No surprise there then, expect the same from Sky and channel 4, Daily Mirror yada yada.

I dont think shes going to get her deal through anyway, but her 'last ditch' success on getting the backstop made temporary last night (allegedly) makes you wonder if there is enough time to give it proper scrutiny, and ask any questions, before the vote today.
Or is it, as I suspect, another move, designed to fail ?

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Designed to fail!

Designed to fail ......... leading to what?

I'm of the opinion that if you think the deal failing will lead to a "no deal" exit (which I happen to be rather 'luke warm' about, but would accept rather than remain), I think you will be disappointed.  It will be 'blocked' in Parliament ......... and despite all the shouting there will be about failures of democracy etc., that is what will happen.

There will then be either a BRINO with Corbyn's and some remainers backing involving staying in the customs union .......... or a delay - to negotiate more (which will yet again achieve nothing) or another referendum - which would (again in my view) yield a near 50/50 split, probably just in favour of  leave (as last time) ........ but will the poll be rigged by having 2 leave options versus one remain option?

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

Designed to fail ......... leading to what?

I'm of the opinion that if you think the deal failing will lead to a "no deal" exit (which I happen to be rather 'luke warm' about, but would accept rather than remain), I think you will be disappointed.  It will be 'blocked' in Parliament ......... and despite all the shouting there will be about failures of democracy etc., that is what will happen.

There will then be either a BRINO with Corbyn's and some remainers backing involving staying in the customs union .......... or a delay - to negotiate more (which will yet again achieve nothing) or another referendum - which would (again in my view) yield a near 50/50 split, probably just in favour of  leave (as last time) ........ but will the poll be rigged by having 2 leave options versus one remain option?

Leading to staying in the EU!

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I know what Corbyn wants/needs!

Corbyn - based on past 'anti EU' rhetoric  - should back a 'no deal' - and if he did that - ERG?Labour leavers could force a no deal through and all would be at least defined - if not to everyone's liking. 

But he won't because his backers (Momentum and McClusky etc.) wanted to try and force the government out and get a general election leading to a Corbyn government in which they pull the strings.  So far May has managed to at least keep that one off - as it would be FAR more damaging tan any Brexit outcome.

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh how the left wing must be relishing their chance.

Theyre in tatters at the moment, with more aggravation coming their way.
Backing a BRINO would lose them key Northern seats, look how fast they dropped the 2nd ref idea when they found out how unpopular it was in some areas, they now know this, it would devastate them as a Parliamentary power.
The tories are no better, they would leave themselves wide open to criticism , for their handling of it, and their duplicity will cost them.
You could easily see the ERG group break away and form the real 3rd party, and May knows this too.

No deal is looking more like the likely result here, some tories wont be happy, but you have literally half the electorate backing them, maybe more these days, whos seen a poll on it lately ? :hmm:

Keep the faith :good:

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Theyre in tatters at the moment, with more aggravation coming their way.
Backing a BRINO would lose them key Northern seats, look how fast they dropped the 2nd ref idea when they found out how unpopular it was in some areas, they now know this, it would devastate them as a Parliamentary power.
The tories are no better, they would leave themselves wide open to criticism , for their handling of it, and their duplicity will cost them.
You could easily see the ERG group break away and form the real 3rd party, and May knows this too.

No deal is looking more like the likely result here, some tories wont be happy, but you have literally half the electorate backing them, maybe more these days, whos seen a poll on it lately ? :hmm:

Keep the faith :good:

I hope your right mate, I've said since leave won the referendum and "hard" and "soft" brexit became a thing (driven by remoaners) the only way we're ever getting out is via a hard brexit, but May and most of Parliament are staunch remainers, I believe whatever happens BRINO or remain via another biased referendum is what will be forced through. 

ok ............so there "might" be a 2nd referendum................

tell me this WOT THE HECK ARE THEY GOING TO PUT ON THE BALLOT PAPER............

whatever it will be NO-ONE  will understand it...........

the question on the ballot will be along the lines ...........

"If yer aunt mary gets stuck on the toilet...and uncle albert is at work how does she get to the landline...does she wipe her bottom first and who the hell is going to clear the mess up "

PUT YOUR CROSS HERE

• in....................
  • out..................
Edited by ditchman

shes's a gud ole norfik gull boi....................................................................................NOT

the smile that sunk a thousand ships.........................would you invade Troy for that ?

Edited by ditchman