A dog IS just for Xmas

Davyo

Yep next door have bought the bairn/ wife a puppy for Xmas.Today it's been on it's own since 9.30am and still barking  its tits off.

Thought the last 12mths of  peace & quiet was to good to be true after 10 yrs of barking.Thought we were free when their last dog died last year.

Edited by Davyo

53 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

They bought a puppy and then left it alone all day?

Phone the Police, Council and RSPCA I would 🙄

Some people really don't deserve to own a dog. 

My son needs to get his head down as at work 11pm tonight.We have a lurcher & he's never alone as there is always someone at home.Or we go out to a pub or cafe that allows dogs to come in.

Their last dog ' a cocker ' was never walked.It was just thrown out in the garden & the poo was cleaned up probably ever 4 months.

Both of the feckless work so Susan is going to have no peace after the holidays.Im going catch the fat head when they come in.Threaten to ring RSPCA if they dont sort something like leave it with parents or even better take the poor dog back.

Edited by Davyo

1 hour ago, Davyo said:

My son needs to get his head down as at work 11pm tonight.We have a lurcher & he's never alone as there is always someone at home.Or we go out to a pub or cafe that allows dogs to come in.

Their last dog ' a cocker ' was never walked.It was just thrown out in the garden & the poo was cleaned up probably ever 4 months.

Both of the feckless work so Susan is going to have no peace after the holidays.Im going catch the fat head when they come in.Threaten to ring RSPCA if they dont sort something like leave it with parents or even better take the poor dog back.

I don’t blame you! Tell em you’ve had years of noise nuisance with their last dog!......warn them If it happens again, you’ll inform the Police, Environmental Heath, RSPCA and anyone else you can think of......because it ain’t happening again!....and do it!!

27 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I don’t blame you! Tell em you’ve had years of noise nuisance with their last dog!......warn them If it happens again, you’ll inform the Police, Environmental Heath, RSPCA and anyone else you can think of......because it ain’t happening again!....and do it!!

Well said, you owe it to yourselves & the poor pup.

4 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Bang on! 

19 hours ago, panoma1 said:

We have a lurcher & he's never alone as there is always someone at home.Or we go out to a pub or cafe that allows dogs to come in.

Well, if the dog knows his way around in familiar circumstances he should be fine on his own. And if he's not, then there's something wrong with the relationship. It's a dog after all, and it's not a case that you should run your lives around the dog's convenience. With the new pup next door they're a bit naughty to go out and leave you with the barking. The thing is though, a new pup when left on its own will almost always bark until it's acclimated. It's not a big deal and the dog will soon stop.after a night or two. On the other hand if you respond to the barking then you're basically teaching the dog to bark when it's bored or wants attention. And good luck with that over the next 14 years or so! 

24 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Well, if the dog knows his way around in familiar circumstances he should be fine on his own. And if he's not, then there's something wrong with the relationship. It's a dog after all, and it's not a case that you should run your lives around the dog's convenience. With the new pup next door they're a bit naughty to go out and leave you with the barking. The thing is though, a new pup when left on its own will almost always bark until it's acclimated. It's not a big deal and the dog will soon stop.after a night or two. On the other hand if you respond to the barking then you're basically teaching the dog to bark when it's bored or wants attention. And good luck with that over the next 14 years or so! 

There's nothing wrong with leaving a settled trained dog home alone. Mine is now left through most of the working day a couple days per week when either of us aren't home, he is taken for a run out in the morning and again when I get home, however getting an 8 week old puppy and then leaving it is just a bit wrong.

It's not so much the act of leaving the dog alone that's the problem, its the blatant irresponsibility. Looks like it's just a sign of things to come. 

44 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

This in response to a quote I didn’t write???? 🤔

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

however getting an 8 week old puppy and then leaving it is just a bit wrong.

Depends how long you leave it for I suppose. But at some point a dog has to learn that he's going to be left, and that kicking up a row isn't going to change that. Sure, it's a bit hard for a night or two but once the lesson has been learned it's over. And the dog will fine with it forever. They're intelligent and resilient creatures. The last thing to do is to feel sorry for the dog and reward the barking by going to see him. That's just storing up a pile of trouble. And it's not fair on the dog either because you're sending him mixed signals. You don't want him to bark but you reward him by going to see him when he barks. How is that meant to work?

If you want to see a happy dog, see a dog that knows his boundaries and is comfortable in them.

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

This in response to a quote I didn’t write???? 🤔

Yes. 😁. Blame it on Morrison's fruit and nut dark chocolate and Ballentine's 12 year old.

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

Depends how long you leave it for I suppose. But at some point a dog has to learn that he's going to be left, and that kicking up a row isn't going to change that. Sure, it's a bit hard for a night or two but once the lesson has been learned it's over. And the dog will fine with it forever. They're intelligent and resilient creatures. The last thing to do is to feel sorry for the dog and reward the barking by going to see him. That's just storing up a pile of trouble. And it's not fair on the dog either because you're sending him mixed signals. You don't want him to bark but you reward him by going to see him when he barks. How is that meant to work?

If you want to see a happy dog, see a dog that knows his boundaries and is comfortable in them.

Yes and also when you leave it... such as leaving it the day you get it alone for most the day and then again at night... like the people in the OP's post seem to have done. 

A dog learning to settle when left alone is good training, but I wouldn't be attempting it hours after leaving it's mother and litter. The pup is bound to be distressed, that's natural. 

Training comes later. 

42 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes and also when you leave it... such as leaving it the day you get it alone for most the day and then again at night... like the people in the OP's post seem to have done. 

A dog learning to settle when left alone is good training, but I wouldn't be attempting it hours after leaving it's mother and litter. The pup is bound to be distressed, that's natural. 

Training comes later. 

Honestly, by the sound of Dayvos post and the description of the last dog they had, the neighbours would be better off without a dog and the dog would be better off with different owners. But that aside, whether it's the first night or the 10th night the pup is going to need to be left on its own and initially he is not going to like it one bit and he's going to let you know all about it.  But that's just how it is and in my experience you're as well to get it over and done with. 

Dogs are far more philosophical and resilient than most people give them credit for 

20 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Honestly, by the sound of Dayvos post and the description of the last dog they had, the neighbours would be better off without a dog and the dog would be better off with different owners. But that aside, whether it's the first night or the 10th night the pup is going to need to be left on its own and initially he is not going to like it one bit and he's going to let you know all about it.  But that's just how it is and in my experience you're as well to get it over and done with. 

Dogs are far more philosophical and resilient than most people give them credit for 

That's the difference, someone who's a good home for a dog leaving it be for a bit, and someone who gets a dog and just neglects it all the time. Feel sorry for the dog in the OP. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

That's the difference, someone who's a good home for a dog leaving it be for a bit, and someone who gets a dog and just neglects it all the time. Feel sorry for the dog in the OP. 

Me too. Because it seems (by the previous dog) that they don't care. Happy New Year btw....

Some folk should never be allowed to own them. I was in Morpeth today coming out of home bargains, a bloke walks past, kids in tow with a lovely border collie. The dog walked into his path and made him stumble a little. He called the dog worse than ****, the the ****** kicked the dog :mad: 

after he was confronted for his action, he said “ do what I want, it’s my durg” 

should have been taken around back and treat like his dog. :no: 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Nothing back off davyo yet, wondering speaking to the dogs owners didn't go well and he is watching birds flying around his bonce.

Didn't have to speak to him lol. I was washing the car this morning when he asked me if the dog was yapping yesterday? YES constantly and my son had work at 11pm. Claims it was only left for 4hrs hours.9.30 am till just after 5 is a tad bit more than 4hrs mate.

Anyway Josh pulled up and told him straight.Told him firmly,that he works perm nights 11pm till 7am and he wont be putting up with it.Seems to of sunk in as he popped round again at tea time and told Sue that his mum is going to have the pup all day when they are both out at work.

I hope he's telling the truth because that cocker of his drove myself and Susan nuts.Now that the big lads back home I think.

Clapped eyes on it this morning,its a Beagle.