Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, pause for thought, is is stated that those who have sadly died had underlying health issues, how many were previously at home ? hospital ? care home ? but never came into contact with a corvid 19 carrier ?

I'm not sure what is meant by "underlying health issues"? 

It seems it can be anything from what I would call seriously ill and frail (such as needing oxygen, housebound, needing chemo, requiring regular hospital visits etc) through long term conditions like diabetes, asthma to minor ongoing things for which there is ongoing treatment like high blood pressure, past heart issues, cholesterol.

Some of those who have been on cruise ships were described as having 'underlying health issues' and yet were well enough to undertake a cruise.

My guess (and it is only a guess, though I have read of it being plausible) is that there are people 'at large' who have the condition without knowing it is corvid 19 and thing they have just a minor infection.  Such people will not get tested even if they ask, and are unaware that they are spreaders.

16 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm not sure what is meant by "underlying health issues"?

Obesity Diabetes blood pressure heart conditions asthma lung diseases any weakened immune systems leukaemia etc. Older people over 55 are supposed to be at risk. I do not think the majority here are taking this seriously enough yet.  Start getting a few close to home deaths and watch the paper towel and man flue jokes look rather silly. I think this time next week we will be seeing a much more anxious public here. 

I don't think I've missed it on here but I'm sure I saw a news article with Richard Branson saying the airline industry needed a 7.5b bailout, followed by an article saying that there are only 5,000 ventilators currently available on the NHS and bojo has said whatever can be produced the govt will buy.

Priorities eh....

20 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I don't think I've missed it on here but I'm sure I saw a news article with Richard Branson saying the airline industry needed a 7.5b bailout, followed by an article saying that there are only 5,000 ventilators currently available on the NHS and bojo has said whatever can be produced the govt will buy.

Priorities eh....

hello, maybe Branson should put in some of his millions that he has made from Government hand outs,

What we are not seeing in the press or on TV , is those that have had it , and what they have gone through , how ill they were and how they are now , it's more scaremongering   we are seeing 

And maybe that is not a bad thing , to make you think about looking after yourself . But to help people some more news on those who have had it and are doing ok , will give people  a sign that there is hope out there. 

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

saying that there are only 5,000 ventilators currently available on the NHS

If you're in Wales it's a pretty grim outlook. There are about 176 critical care beds in 14 hospitals with an average occupancy rate of 80+%. That's 30 odd beds spare capacity maximum. Barring a change of trajectory, the estimated projected need outstrips that by multiples of hundreds. What is it - two weeks behind Italy? They'd better get a move on.

2ae5c7c905523743cc409bd86a3fb23d318b61da

Edited by Retsdon

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, maybe Branson should put in some of his millions that he has made from Government hand outs,

Totally agree, he has very deep pockets and should dip into them. Same applies to the ryanair mob.

What these people are wanting is to retain their cash, hope their competition folds, then take over their businesses on the cheap. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200310/know-the-symptoms-of-covid19

March 10, 2020 -- As testing for COVID-19 expands, cases are being picked up across the U.S., confirming what disease experts have predicted: that the virus has been here for some time and is making people sick.

That can make the occasional cough or sneeze suspicious. Is this COVID-19? How would you know if you have it?

The most detailed breakdown of symptoms of the disease comes from a recent World Health Organization analysis of more than 55,000 confirmed cases in China. Here are the most common symptoms and the percentage of people who had them:

COVID-19 is a lower respiratory tract infection, which means that most of the symptoms are felt in the chest and lungs. That’s different from colds that bring on an upper respiratory tract infection, where you get a runny nose and sinus congestion. Those symptoms seem to be mostly absent for people with COVID-19, though they’re not unheard of.

The good news is that in China, most people who have gotten sick -- about 80% -- have had mild to moderate symptoms.

Given that, doctors feel that most people in the U.S. will be able to manage their symptoms at home.

If you start to show symptoms, call your doctor's office. Don’t go there before calling -- that might spread the infection around the doctor’s office. They may want to talk to you on the phone in a telemedicine visit.

photo of cold vs flu vs coronavirus infographicThe average time it takes people to get sick after being exposed to the virus is about 5 days. Some people get sick faster, just a day after being exposed, while others don’t fall ill for about 2 weeks, which is why the U.S. has quarantined people for 14 days.

In a recent press briefing, Nancy Messonnier, MD, director of the CDCs National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said the virus spreads easily from person to person and that no one has immunity against it because it is new.

“Based on this, it’s fair to say that as the trajectory of the outbreak continues, many people in the United States will at some point in time, either this year or next, be exposed to this virus and many will get sick. We do not expect most people to develop serious illness,” she said.

About 14% of people in China who tested positive for COVID-19 -- about 1 in 5 -- have had severe symptoms, which includes trouble catching their breath, rapid breathing (taking more than 30 breaths in a minute), and low oxygen in their blood. These patients need extra oxygen and sometimes specialized equipment to help them breathe. In China, these patients were hospitalized.

About 1 in 20 patients were in critical condition. These patients developed respiratory failure and organ failure.

People who seem to be at highest risk for serious illness from COVID-19 are adults over the age of 60, or people who have underlying medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, or cancer. The highest number of deaths in China -- 22% -- has been in adults over age 80.

“This will require you and your family to take action,” Messonnier said.

She advised taking everyday precautions:

• Avoid people who are sick.
  • Wash your hands often.
  • Avoid touching surfaces in public places (like elevator buttons and door handles).
  • Avoid crowds.

The CDC and the State Department are also urging Americans to avoid cruise ships for the duration of the epidemic, especially if you are at high risk for serious illness. People at high risk should not fly unless it is necessary.

WebMD Health News Reviewed by Hansa D. Bhargava, MD on March 10, 2020

Sources

© 2020 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.

My opinion is that the mass hysteria that is being whipped up, through the mainstream and social media, over this if far more dangerous than the virus itself. If it was announced that this year we faced a nasty flu virus and more of the vulnerable population (old and underlying medical conditions) would die than normal then we would all go about our business. Now everybody is an 'expert' giving advice and ignoring the real experts.

I don't expect everybody to agree but that's my view.     

I must admit to be ever so slightly bricking it. Not so much for me( healthy ish mid 40’s, same as my my wife and two kids) but for elderly in laws. 
At the moment, I feel it is damaging my mental health, sleeping patterns etc, which isn’t good for anyone. 
But looking at the various bits of data, I can’t help but look at The Diamond Princess stats, which was a floating case study into the virus. 

“How worried should we be?” says Timothy Russell, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine who does mathematical modeling of disease outbreaks. “Well, it’s more severe than the flu.” Flu — which annually kills hundreds of thousands worldwide — has an estimated 0.1 percent fatality rate.

As of February 20, tests of most of the 3,711 people aboard the Diamond Princess confirmed that 634, or 17 percent, had the virus; 328 of them did not have symptoms at the time of diagnosis. Of those with symptoms, the fatality ratio was 1.9 percent, Russell and colleagues calculate. Of all infected, that ratio was 0.91 percent. Those 70 and older were most vulnerable, with an overall fatality ratio of about 7.3 percent.

So I look at those figures and think”bad, but not too bad”. Then look at Italian figures and brick it again!

6 minutes ago, AVB said:

Broadly agree.  The difference here is that there is more about this one that is currently 'unknown', and the reports of some quite severe effects coming in from other places (mainly Italy) is concerning.

Well another FB post has what looks like another loony video blog post but she makes a good point on at least one aspect: 

If the virus causes lungs to fill with fluid, how comes one of the major symptoms are a DRY cough?

The post is here for those who want to view it - but I'm not attaching any opinions as to thinking it being fact or otherwise:

blob:https://www.facebook.com/c2c09150-9fb1-4a82-9587-1d974586e66c

24 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

If the virus causes lungs to fill with fluid, how comes one of the major symptoms are a DRY cough?

The dry cough comes first. Later, IF you get to the pneumonia phase and your lungs start to fill with fluid, don't worry your cough will be wet enough.

2 hours ago, AVB said:

My opinion is that the mass hysteria that is being whipped up, through the mainstream and social media, over this if far more dangerous than the virus itself. If it was announced that this year we faced a nasty flu virus and more of the vulnerable population (old and underlying medical conditions) would die than normal then we would all go about our business. Now everybody is an 'expert' giving advice and ignoring the real experts.

Another guy talking a bit of sense.

22 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Another guy talking a bit of sense.

Right. China, Korea, Iran, Italy, Spain, Hong Kong, Norway, etc, etc, have locked down their economies, global flights have been virtually stopped, the stock markets around the world are in free fall and it's all because of a bit of scaremongering? These snowflake governments  should get a grip of themselves, instead of panicking about what's just  'a nasty flu virus'. What's wrong with them.

Meanwhile....An image from Maxar's WorldView-3 satellite shows the Behesht-e Masoumeh cemetery in Qom, Iran, on March 1, 2020. The cemetery is preparing for the pandemic by digging two long "trenches" of graves, each about 100 yards (90 meters) long.  (Image credit: Satellite image ©2020 Maxar Technologies)

7z4LhkTPNJobxCQpJpH79U-650-80.jpg

I suppose it could be argued that at least the Iranians are making some preparations. 

But look at the stats from Italy. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/  They have 409 cases per million head of population just now, and look at what's happened to their health service. There are people dying in the corridors. And yet Boris stands up and says he thinks it best if we let the virus run in Britain to develop a herd immunity. For that you need 80% of the population to have had the disease. A whacking sight more than 489 cases per million! So what state is the NHS going to be in when it's all over? Unless there is some miracle.....

Edited by Retsdon