Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had an email from my son who lives in Mijas, Spain. All bars, shops etc. shut.

They are in total lockdown and can only go out to buy essential medicine. If caught out for no reason they face jail or a fine of €30000. Over-reaction by Spanish authorities ? maybe not !!

Also, daughter's in laws are on Fred Olsen's Braemar floating around the Carribean where no port will allow the ship to berth. They have been cleared but not allowed to leave their cabin. Absolutely no idea where the ship will end up.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

I saw first hand today people panicking buying, came into Birmingham on the train,  one girl was wearing disposable gloves.

Walked into town and saw a crowd outside a Tesco Express,  it opened at twelve and people surged in, upstairs and started grabbing toilet rolls!!! I was bob smacked.

I haven't seen anything like this last week being in Aldi twice, why toilet rolls????

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I saw first hand today people panicking buying, came into Birmingham on the train,  one girl was wearing disposable gloves.

Walked into town and saw a crowd outside a Tesco Express,  it opened at twelve and people surged in, upstairs and started grabbing toilet rolls!!! I was bob smacked.

I haven't seen anything like this last week being in Aldi twice, why toilet rolls????

Because one person sneezes and a hundred people soil themselves!

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Just had an email from my son who lives in Mijas, Spain. All bars, shops etc. shut.

They are in total lockdown and can only go out to buy essential medicine. If caught out for no reason they face jail or a fine of €30000. Over-reaction by Spanish authorities ? maybe not !!

Also, daughter's in laws are on Fred Olsen's Braemar floating around the Carribean where no port will allow the ship to berth. They have been cleared but not allowed to leave their cabin. Absolutely no idea where the ship will end up.

OB

I flew in and out of Madrid airport on Friday, aircon in the terminal was turned off to avoid spread of airborne virus droplets, outcome was everyone was hot, bothered and clammy and wiping their face with hands, arms and sleeves and then touching everything.  The soap dispensers in the toilets were empty, there was no hot water and only air dryers to dry hands.  Net result people walking round with wet hands, wiping those on their clothes to dry them off and then touching everything.  No wonder it is a hot spot for transmission of the virus.

Saving grace was the airport was eerie quiet, even the main transport routes were quiet at rush hour so folk not moving about as much.

The amount of people wearing masks, but fiddling with them with their hands was comical, some pulling the mask down to take a bite of food then pulling it back up whilst they chewed (repeat over and over).  Pulling the mask down to drink, then screwing the bottle top off and on with mucky hands, etc.

I absolutely applaud individuality in how people dress and i like eccentrics, but does this qualify as sartorial elegance in mask wearing, you decide?

5D30B698-29ED-4F8C-B4EA-2C059A02F8F8.jpeg

Edited by grrclark

7 hours ago, AVB said:

My opinion is that the mass hysteria that is being whipped up, through the mainstream and social media, over this if far more dangerous than the virus itself. If it was announced that this year we faced a nasty flu virus and more of the vulnerable population (old and underlying medical conditions) would die than normal then we would all go about our business. Now everybody is an 'expert' giving advice and ignoring the real experts.

I don't expect everybody to agree but that's my view.     

There is a vaccine for the flu, that most old people and people with underlying medical conditions get. There is no vaccine for this virus, the 1000 dead in Italy  would disagree that the media were whipping it up if they were able. 

Edited by ordnance

My wife’s uncle (who as a young heir to Earldom captained a destroyer during WW2) and her maternal grandmother are both well into their 90s. They say that the sense of impending devastation and foreboding takes them back to 1939. I hope that this is all over blown, but for now we need to treat Coronavirus as a very serious threat. Many have lost their lives already, thousands more will join them.

25 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

My wife’s uncle (who as a young heir to Earldom captained a destroyer during WW2) and her maternal grandmother are both well into their 90s. They say that the sense of impending devastation and foreboding takes them back to 1939. I hope that this is all over blown, but for now we need to treat Coronavirus as a very serious threat. Many have lost their lives already, thousands more will join them.

Did people panic buy stuff in WW2  I wonder,  The generations since the war have made a virtue out of greed. Perhaps we as a whole might understand that food doesn't just appear from around the world, so that we can enjoy whatever fad is being promoted at the moment, all on a  24 hour basis.  It might do some people good to wipe their backside on a piece of newspaper and eat homemade stew made of seasonal veg and a cheap cut of meat 

edit to say perhaps not eating and wiping at the same time though

Edited by islandgun

I went to my local surgery today as I have a very itchy rash on my back which the local pharmacist said was probably shingles, however no-one was allowed in and I was told that they are not opening for appointments and I had to phone. Eventually got through after 10 minutes or so to hear they are closed as they have been teating someone with Covid 19! Scottish news said one of the secondary schools in Perth is closed for a deep clean as someone there has tested positive for the virus too.

I`m not much into scae mongering but it does seem to me to be getting out of hand quickly, but I am self isolating until I know for sure what this rash is as I don`t want to pass it onto anyone else.

5 minutes ago, henry d said:

I went to my local surgery today as I have a very itchy rash on my back which the local pharmacist said was probably shingles

Get well soon; shingles can be unpleasant. I have not had it, but both friends and relatives have at various times.

On a brighter note - there was a doctor (or possibly other medical profession lady) on Radio 4 earlier.  She has Covid 19 and is recovering.  She said it was pretty unpleasant for 4 or 5 days, very achy and she was very tired, with a bad cough (all very like bad flu) but is now getting over it and expects now to have immunity and be able to go back to work quite soon and have no risk of catching it again.  She was age 60.

12 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Get well soon; shingles can be unpleasant. I have not had it, but both friends and relatives have at various times.

On a brighter note - there was a doctor (or possibly other medical profession lady) on Radio 4 earlier.  She has Covid 19 and is recovering.  She said it was pretty unpleasant for 4 or 5 days, very achy and she was very tired, with a bad cough (all very like bad flu) but is now getting over it and expects now to have immunity and be able to go back to work quite soon and have no risk of catching it again.  She was age 60.

I thought I'd read somewhere that there was atleast one case of a woman who had contracted it twice? 

Just now, Farmboy91 said:

I thought I'd read somewhere that there was atleast one case of a woman who had contracted it twice? 

There certainly have been claims that is so - however this medical professional was adamant that she now had antibodies in place to deal with it.  That does seem to be the general wisdom and also the reasoning behind the 'herd immunity' idea.

I have read that the 'getting it a second time' might simply be that the test is rather sensitive and may detect some remaining traces .......... or that there is more than one strain around.

1 hour ago, henry d said:

I went to my local surgery today as I have a very itchy rash on my back which the local pharmacist said was probably shingles, however no-one was allowed in and I was told that they are not opening for appointments and I had to phone. Eventually got through after 10 minutes or so to hear they are closed as they have been teating someone with Covid 19! Scottish news said one of the secondary schools in Perth is closed for a deep clean as someone there has tested positive for the virus too.

I`m not much into scae mongering but it does seem to me to be getting out of hand quickly, but I am self isolating until I know for sure what this rash is as I don`t want to pass it onto anyone else.

Due to medicine that I have to take to manage RA, if i contract shingles or chicken pox it can be fatal.  Risk exists around us all, all the time.

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Did people panic buy stuff in WW2  I wonder,  The generations since the war have made a virtue out of greed. Perhaps we as a whole might understand that food doesn't just appear from around the world, so that we can enjoy whatever fad is being promoted at the moment, all on a  24 hour basis.  It might do some people good to wipe their backside on a piece of newspaper and eat homemade stew made of seasonal veg and a cheap cut of meat 

edit to say perhaps not eating and wiping at the same time though

Indeed, the concept of seasonal produce would come as a massive shock to many.  What do you mean you can't have fresh strawberries in March???...

58 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There certainly have been claims that is so - however this medical professional was adamant that she now had antibodies in place to deal with it.  That does seem to be the general wisdom and also the reasoning behind the 'herd immunity' idea.

I have read that the 'getting it a second time' might simply be that the test is rather sensitive and may detect some remaining traces .......... or that there is more than one strain around.

From a PR point of view for the govt/nhs it looks better to be able to say that, I suppose we'll find out over the coming weeks.

I reckon when this pandemic is over, every country affected by Coronavirus, should quantify the cost to their respective country, and send the bill to the Chinese government! Those that have lost loved ones should be backed by their countries governments to send an individual claim for compensation including funeral costs etc, to the Chinese government too!..........