Televison LIcence consultation

enfieldspares

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-decriminalising-tv-licence-evasion/consultation-on-decriminalising-tv-licence-evasion

I said that if then BBC wanted income from those who viewed its programmes it should produce set top boxes like Sky does. If I then want BBC I get a BBC box and pay the subscription. If I don't then, like Sky's premium services, I don't get the signal unscrambled so instead watch free to air alternative broadcasters with no subscription.

I commented this:

The Television Licence is like a 1920s Chicago protection racket. People in effect being threatened into paying annually money to an organisation whose services they don't actually wish to receive. The BBC's strong armed enforcement regime as good as makes Al Capone seem benign.

Any are welcome to cut and paste in their reply.

Edited by enfieldspares

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-decriminalising-tv-licence-evasion/consultation-on-decriminalising-tv-licence-evasion

I said that if then BBC wanted income from those who viewed its programmes it should produce set top boxes like Sky does. If I then want BBC I get a BBC box and pay the subscription. If I don't then, like Sky's premium services, I don't get the signal unscrambled so instead watch free to air alternative broadcasters with no subscription.

I commented this:

The Television Licence is like a 1920s Chicago protection racket. People in effect being threatened into paying annually money to an organisation whose services they don't actually wish to receive. The BBC's strong armed enforcement regime as good as makes Al Capone seem benign.

Any are welcome to cut and paste in their reply.

Absolutely spot on.

I stopped paying the telly tax years ago and I would encourage everyone to stop paying it too. Very simple and legal to do so. 

Just now, ClemFandango said:

Thanks for posting this I have just responded along the same lines as Enfieldspares. 

I also added that I was on the receiving end of an aggressive licensing officer last year, although I was not intimidated by his threats but someone more vulnerable may have been. 

It's extortion. 

Did he demand access to your home?

13 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I said that if then BBC wanted income from those who viewed its programmes it should produce set top boxes like Sky does.

They don't even need to do that; you will notice your TV has a 'smart card reader' in the side.  It would be easy for the BBC to encrypt its broadcast and send licence fee payers, sorry subscribers, a smart card per TV.  At the time of the digital switch over - the BBC were given this option and flat out refused.

Though, that's rather dated technology now.  It's now pretty much impossible to buy a television that isn't 'smart' so by the time the 2027 charter-renewal rolls around they won't even need that technology.

Just now, udderlyoffroad said:

They don't even need to do that; you will notice your TV has a 'smart card reader' in the side.  It would be easy for the BBC to encrypt its broadcast and send licence fee payers, sorry subscribers, a smart card per TV.  At the time of the digital switch over - the BBC were given this option and flat out refused.

Though, that's rather dated technology now.  It's now pretty much impossible to buy a television that isn't 'smart' so by the time the 2027 charter-renewal rolls around they won't even need that technology.

That is interesting, thank you.

Before you waste too much time composing your thoughts chaps, blurb on the consultation website states in bold:

This consultation is not considering any other changes to the TV licence. Information given in these areas may be disregarded.

In other words, it's a consultation with very narrow scope to avoid upsetting the apple cart too much.

Obviously, there are very valid reasons for this change to take place, and in my view should be the first step on the road to a subscription model, but my comments are likely to be ignored unless I frame it in very narrow terms.

22 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Before you waste too much time composing your thoughts chaps, blurb on the consultation website states in bold:

In other words, it's a consultation with very narrow scope to avoid upsetting the apple cart too much.

Obviously, there are very valid reasons for this change to take place, and in my view should be the first step on the road to a subscription model, but my comments are likely to be ignored unless I frame it in very narrow terms.

Well no 10 (Boris Johnson) has announced they’re having a big review into it and considering abolishing the compulsory fee.