Lead ban & BASC

22 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

If you care to read back, at no point have I said anything in support of banning lead. While I don't agree with it, it is a situation we are all going to be forced into. 

Now as one of the names who has a hand in what has happened it is not unreasonable for Waitrose to now step up and push the lead free game that they have been after. 

If you seriously believe that there will be a U- turn over this, I'm not the gullible one.

i know there will be no U-turn that's the reason i'm giving up shooting,

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Seems a bit dramatic to be honest, but then again getting people to stop shooting is definitely an underlying factor in all this so they have clearly succeeded here. 

Well BASC want lead banned and steel used so we can sell game to Europe:hmm:

i was mainly a wildfowler but no way will i renew my BASC just to continue shooting

Edited by andrewluke

3 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Free from lead V free from steel

What's the difference?

Really .. ?

Can anyone tell me a measured and tangible difference?

There's not, the vast majority of us know that but there's not really alot of other options is there. 

I'd sooner use steel than stop altogether.

7 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

and those are the gullible ones,just rollover for BASC

So what exactly is it you propose we do? 

Waiti until a ban is enforced by govt?

Maybe we should all pack it in now, would that make you feel better about the situation?

Whether the cartridge companies knew or not at the beginning they know now and have got a bit a grace to start putting things together.

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

So what exactly is it you propose we do? 

Waiti until a ban is enforced by govt?

Maybe we should all pack it in now, would that make you feel better about the situation?

Whether the cartridge companies knew or not at the beginning they know now and have got a bit a grace to start putting things together.

can you see the point of BASC?,they have gone as far as they can so now pointless:whistling:,dont throw your money away there's not much left to defend(only the wealthy game shooters)

2 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

A sensible move would have been to liaise with cartridge manufacturers to remove plastic wadding from game and pigeon shooting cartridges.

Plastic is high on the list of concerns from joe public …..

exactly why it’s all cobblers firing steel from PLASTIC which is followed out of the barrel by another lump of PLASTIC and then we claim it’s about the environment joe public laughs 

1 minute ago, Smokersmith said:

A sensible move would have been to liaise with cartridge manufacturers to remove plastic wadding from game and pigeon shooting cartridges.

Many (possibly even most) shoots have been doing 'fibre wads only' for years.  When I ran a shoot way back in the 1980s through until about 2002 we were always fibre wads only - and the little farm shoot I am on now is (and always has been) fibre only.  IF someone is seen to be using plastic - they have been asked to stop shooting - or change at once to fibre (we kept a few boxes handy in the LandRover) because our landlords would have cancelled our lease if they found plastic about.

2 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Why would anyone give up shooting because of a move to a different shot type. ? WHY?

It makes no logical sense whatsoever, it is just not a reason. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. this is just that on steroids.

you must be the only BASC  member who agrees with everything BASC says/does,they must love/pay you:whistling:

6 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Why would anyone give up shooting because of a move to a different shot type. ? WHY?

It makes no logical sense whatsoever, it is just not a reason. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. this is just that on steroids.

My sentiments exactly.

7 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

can you see the point of BASC?,they have gone as far as they can so now pointless:whistling:,dont throw your money away there's not much left to defend(only the wealthy game shooters)

What on earth are you talking about.Giving up a pastime you have done for many years just to change your shot,in fact you have been shooting steel for years and because you are dissatisfied with the performance of BASC you are packing in shooting.You will regret it for years,sat at home festering .So if you are stopping shooting will this also mean you will stop contributing to this forum.

36 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

and those are the gullible ones,just rollover for BASC

If you’re packing in then don’t let it bother you. 
I’m neither gullible nor a BASC member, and intend to carry on just as I have done. There is nothing compulsory about anything which has been mentioned. 

1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

you must be the only BASC  member who agrees with everything BASC says/does,they must love/pay you:whistling:

No not paid but the work they have done for Two clubs i am involved with has been considerable, and i am yet to find any shortfall in their service personalty when i have any need of their help.

They did do one major thing i did not agree with many years ago. But apart from that i can only give credit where credit is due. If i had issues with what they just did, as all you guys do i would say so. but i just do not see what gripe you could possibly have.

Theis lead thing effects me a lot i fox a lot and i do chose to use a shotgun some  of the time, i can see no reason why on non edible pests and predators, and the relatively low volume of shots used it would make an impact as long as its not over wetlands.  But i accept Lead is toxic and i will just move on to moulded bismuth AAA now in my bigger fox loads, i have already got a tighter choke coming for the change. . . .

14 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Many (possibly even most) shoots have been doing 'fibre wads only' for years.  When I ran a shoot way back in the 1980s through until about 2002 we were always fibre wads only - and the little farm shoot I am on now is (and always has been) fibre only.  IF someone is seen to be using plastic - they have been asked to stop shooting - or change at once to fibre (we kept a few boxes handy in the LandRover) because our landlords would have cancelled our lease if they found plastic about.

Many do … but not all.

It's not difficult to find game or pigeon shells with plastic wads.

It would have been a good first step.

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

If you’re packing in then don’t let it bother you. 
I’m neither gullible nor a BASC member, and intend to carry on just as I have done. There is nothing compulsory about anything which has been mentioned. 

now BASC has openly admitted all the negatives about lead then lead will be gone before 5 years.

I personally don’t think its anything to-do with what the birds are shot with, lets face it no one really batted an eyelid 10 years ago about eating lead shot game, I still don’t.

Its obvious to all but the blind that they want shooting stopped but realised some time ago that to get a direct ban on shooting was going to-be very difficult, they quickly realised there was more than one-way to skin a cat and so began their death by a thousand cuts approach, the GL fiasco, grouse shooting ban, raptors allegedly shot and poisoned by keepers plastered all over social media, calls to reduce the number of game birds released because of the alleged damage they are doing, scare tactics used to try and get a complete ban on the sale of lead shot game, “lead is toxic” head lines, videos posted online of large numbers of dumped game birds, and the list goes on.

So lets say tomorrow everyone started using steel shot, Avery and Packham will not rest there, come the game season there will be just as many birds shot as now, we will still have the problem of moving large numbers of birds into the food chain and if we cannot show there is a demand for all these steel shot birds they will back on our case like a shot.    

Their end game is to see shooting stopped.

26 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

you must be the only BASC  member who agrees with everything BASC says/does,they must love/pay you

don’t sweat it mate if people want to wait until the day basc says its all over and walks of with the money that’s fine by me pigeon shooting will survive it’s needed 

4 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

No not paid but the work they have done for Two clubs i am involved with has been considerable, and i am yet to find any shortfall in their service personalty when i have any need of their help.

They did do one major thing i did not agree with many years ago. But apart from that i can only give credit where credit is due. If i had issues with what they just did, as all you guys do i would say so. but i just do not see what gripe you could possibly have.

Theis lead thing effects me a lot i fox a lot and i do chose to use a shotgun some  of the time, i can see no reason why on non edible pests and predators, and the relatively low volume of shots used it would make an impact as long as its not over wetlands.  But i accept Lead is toxic and i will just move on to moulded bismuth AAA now in my bigger fox loads, i have already got a tighter choke coming for the change. . . .

1,when i applied for my FAC for rimfire my FEO said i had no chance because i had no experience(held shotgun cert for 40yrs),i contacted BASC firearms team for help,i was passed around the whole team and the final person i spoke to said he couldn't help because he would not speak to my firearms dept manager because his FAC was with the same police force and didn't want to upset the firearms manager,i stood my ground when i dealt with my firearms team myself and finally got my cert and apologies

2,when renewal for FAC was due my firearms dept wanted me to supply a doctors letter(no change since first application),i contacted BASC who told me to go along with it even though there were no rules/regulations for this,

3,BASC tried to shaft my wildfowling club whe it came to sorting leases/consents

4,now lead!

BASC are a waste of time/money,just my opinion,

go ahead and have a whinge if you want and carry on telling me how wonderfull BASC are!

6 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

1,when i applied for my FAC for rimfire my FEO said i had no chance because i had no experience(held shotgun cert for 40yrs),i contacted BASC firearms team for help,i was passed around the whole team and the final person i spoke to said he couldn't help because he would not speak to my firearms dept manager because his FAC was with the same police force and didn't want to upset the firearms manager,i stood my ground when i dealt with my firearms team myself and finally got my cert and apologies

2,when renewal for FAC was due my firearms dept wanted me to supply a doctors letter(no change since first application),i contacted BASC who told me to go along with it even though there were no rules/regulations for this,

3,BASC tried to shaft my wildfowling club whe it came to sorting leases/consents

4,now lead!

BASC are a waste of time/money,just my opinion,

go ahead and have a whinge if you want and carry on telling me how wonderfull BASC are!

Be vas flippant as you want, no loss to me, you dont like them, and yet i do lets agree to disagree, no need to get exited about this either way.