obsolete

islandgun

Sorry if this has been discussed, Looking at the Holts online catalogue..😍 I noticed plenty of really nice guns described as obsolete a 10 with a 2-7/8 chamber for instance, also a Tolly 8 single barrel. I have recipes for 2-7/8 loads,  why are they obsolete? guessing cartridges no longer available or blackpowder.. so are they usable ? 

Short chambered 10 bores and 8 bore guns are legally of obsolete calibre, assuming they are original, antique guns that is? They can be purchased and held without a SGC only if you dont use them.......however if you intend to and use them, it will be necessary to get them put on you SGC.

The cartridges for are not commercially available....but you can home load them

There obsolete because cartridge for them is no longer available 

however if you home load and want to shoot them they must be on your license 

note if you want to submit it for Re proof they will proof it to 3 inch and then it will no longer be obsolete 

they are usable however (not sure in your area) you need to consider the load in non toxic and not lead for Wildfowl and with the new voluntary thing who knows what you can shoot 

As far as handguns are concerned, it's all to do with readily available commercial cartridges. If no one is manufacturing them on a commercial basis then they are deemed obsolete. If you have the means to load for them and intend to use them, then the relevant ticket and authorisation would be needed. 

I'm assuming it's the same for shotguns and rifles. 

Edited by Scully
Old Farrier beat me to it...as did Panoma!

3 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

As above ... I’ve done this recently. 

. Im holding you responsible for drawing my attention to Holts..😄

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

There obsolete because cartridge for them is no longer available 

however if you home load and want to shoot them they must be on your license 

note if you want to submit it for Re proof they will proof it to 3 inch and then it will no longer be obsolete 

they are usable however (not sure in your area) you need to consider the load in non toxic and not lead for Wildfowl and with the new voluntary thing who knows what you can shoot 

Can you use an out of nitro proof gun with BP. ?. we can use lead inland [ wildfowl] or at least you could last time i looked

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

Can you use an out of nitro proof gun with BP. ?. we can use lead inland [ wildfowl] or at least you could last time i looked

Haven’t got a clue about that although they say you can proof a bamboo cane for black powder 

although out of proof is out of proof and that could be for many reasons not just thin barrels 

1 minute ago, Smokersmith said:

We may be bidding against each other!

Seriously, I’ll have a look at it and let you know what condition it’s in.

No worries I cant afford it just now, August perhaps..😄  did you notice the big game scene guessing an opened out rifle !

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Haven’t got a clue about that although they say you can proof a bamboo cane for black powder 

although out of proof is out of proof and that could be for many reasons not just thin barrels 

Ok mate thanks

34 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I don’t think the auction house could legally sell any out of proof gun...... other than to an RFD.....If the gun bore diameter, measured at 9” from the breech, is by a stipulated amount, larger than its diameter at proof, whether BP or Nitro...it would be out of proof!

There is nothing stopping (except caution!) anyone using an out of proof gun, but it is illegal to sell one!

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

I don’t think the auction house could legally sell any out of proof gun...... other than to an RFD.....If the gun bore diameter, measured at 9” from the breech, is by a stipulated amount, larger than its diameter at proof, whether BP or Nitro...it would be out of proof!

There is nothing stopping (except caution!) anyone using an out of proof gun, but it is illegal to sell one!

Right thanks, so even "obsolete" guns are in proof if for sale, or would being out of proof or beyond proof make a gun obsolete,  In future i would be interested in an 8 bore for occasional use  [bismuth].... BP would be great.. do auction houses have to state proof ?

7 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Right thanks, so even "obsolete" guns are in proof if for sale, or would being out of proof or beyond proof make a gun obsolete,  In future i would be interested in an 8 bore for occasional use  [bismuth].... BP would be great.. do auction houses have to state proof ?

My understanding is that obsolete is the term used where there is no commercial available ammunition as has been stated. They can be sold as antiques to persons without a SGC. It is not related to proof. I have an eight bore, a 2 5/8 chambered ten bore and a 16 bore pin fire . These are obsolete but as I shoot them they are on my certificate.

Did you buy the ten bore?

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

My understanding is that obsolete is the term used where there is no commercial available ammunition as has been stated. They can be sold as antiques to persons without a SGC. It is not related to proof. I have an eight bore, a 2 5/8 chambered ten bore and a 16 bore pin fire . These are obsolete but as I shoot them they are on my certificate.

Did you buy the ten bore?

No it went before i could place a deposit..😊.. are your guns nitro proof or BP, ?... I do remember, as Panoma states that a gun must be in proof to be sold

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

No it went before i could place a deposit..😊.. are your guns nitro proof or BP, ?... I do remember, as Panoma states that a gun must be in proof to be sold

The big bores are nitroproof. The eight was reproofed before I bought it to 1200 bars. Did I recall you said you were coming down to Westlands? 

Bought a 4g a few years ago from a dealer as obsolete, nitro+ black powder proofed 

I was working away at the time and it was sent through the post,,,, 

got Some Brass cartridges made for it, put it on my licence and informed the FLD what I had done,,,, no problems ........ happy days... couldn’t believe that they would send it through the post but it was all legal and above board.. I was disappointed as I couldn’t sneak it into the cabinet as our lass took delivery and opened the parcel...... recall I had to do a bit of explaining!!!