who can and cant work

terence

Tried to finding out who can and who cant work packed in work last september due to medical reasons went self employed so i could pick how long i wanted to work and what jobs to do i work  on my own gardening not repeat work more its a mess not been touched for years go in sort it out then leave regular maintenance to them cant find anything out bloke on telly said window cleaners can work so can gardeners i know stay at home but no income no help bills to pay thanks for any comments even if you call me a **** and to stay at home

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

As a part time gardener do you class yourself as a Key Worker, in other words is the job your going to do essential for the country ?  If you can't say yes to this then the answer is your locked down like the rest of us.

That is not the government's advice.

https://www.gov.uk

Edited by Newbie to this

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have a friend who runs a small business and he has had to lay off two workers because what they do is not classed as key work. If we can all go to work why bother with a lockdown?

We are not on a lock down. We are on a partial lock down and work is one of the reasons you can go out. It's on the https://www.gov.uk website for all to see.

Key worker is not a parameter for being allowed to go to work. Work that cannot be done from home is.

Screenshot_20200327-124641.jpg.5bd91c0575563c257b6348be60b45b6f.jpg

Edited by Newbie to this

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

As a part time gardener do you class yourself as a Key Worker, in other words is the job your going to do essential for the country ?  If you can't say yes to this then the answer is your locked down like the rest of us.

Im not sure about essential for the country, but my job is certainly essential to me.

Im self employed, so unless I want to wait months for SSP or universal credit, Im going to work.

Do I need to , no .
Do I want to , yes, I work alone, will not need any interaction with customers, and stocked up on materials weeks ago in anticipation of this, fairly needlessly really as my my suppliers are still open and receiving stock.
Plenty of business is still on ongoing , through necessity , and unless you want to see another 6 or 7 million claiming benefits for the duration of how long it takes to put this country back together, people need to keep working.

So many firms have just simply folded, putting their staff out on the street, with no prospect of re employment anytime soon, its madness.

errrrrrrrr??? I am confused. If everyone can still swan around gardening and window cleaning etc etc., then why is there a move afoot to recompence all of those self employed put out of work?   If one of my farms puts me on the payroll therefor to kill vermin on the farm and I have it in writing, then I can happily go out and do the job?  Something is crazy wrong here and no wonder the numbers of people getting infected and dying is on the rise.

Just now, Walker570 said:

errrrrrrrr??? I am confused. If everyone can still swan around gardening and window cleaning etc etc., then why is there a move afoot to recompence all of those self employed put out of work?   If one of my farms puts me on the payroll therefor to kill vermin on the farm and I have it in writing, then I can happily go out and do the job?  Something is crazy wrong here and no wonder the numbers of people getting infected and dying is on the rise.

Exactly.

This morning I had to make a quick trip by car to get some milk from the co-op. First there were 2 tradesmen's vans parked in the lane and men working in a cottage up the hill a bit from me. On the journey - about 3/4 mile each way - I must have seen at least 20 unmarked vans on the roads, some very obviously tradesmen. Okay it's just remotely possible they were all attending emergencies, but my take is most were out doing their normal stuff.

If people continue to flout the rules then we will all suffer total lockdown. I feel sorry for the self employed at this time, I was self employed too until a few years ago, but perhaps they should have saved some of their undeclared income for a rainy day...

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Im not sure about essential for the country, but my job is certainly essential to me.

Im self employed, so unless I want to wait months for SSP or universal credit, Im going to work.

Do I need to , no .
Do I want to , yes, I work alone, will not need any interaction with customers, and stocked up on materials weeks ago in anticipation of this, fairly needlessly really as my my suppliers are still open and receiving stock.
Plenty of business is still on ongoing , through necessity , and unless you want to see another 6 or 7 million claiming benefits for the duration of how long it takes to put this country back together, people need to keep working.

So many firms have just simply folded, putting their staff out on the street, with no prospect of re employment anytime soon, its madness.

For once I agree with you and yes there is little doubt this has caught out the Governments around the world with their trousers down not only ours. 

Just now, Walker570 said:

Ive seen plenty of the people you describe working, because the prospect of recompense  is remote.

The number of people getting infected will not change in the end, the promised vaccine will be another 6 months, and will not protect you from next years mutated strain.
The reason for the measures is so we dont bombard the NHS into meltdown.

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

You are right to be confused and are right it is crazy, they even told self-employed that carrying on working, wouldn't  stop the pay out.

I have not been in work since last Thursday, the site I am on was still open until today.

I'm self-employed and have no money coming in now, I have a couple of invoices outstanding, but I'm uncertain when or if these will ever be payed. 

I chose not to go to work and agreed this with the company I contract to. Hopefully the work will still be there when this has ended.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Ive seen plenty of the people you describe working, because the prospect of recompense  is remote.

The number of people getting infected will not change in the end, the promised vaccine will be another 6 months, and will not protect you from next years mutated strain.
The reason for the measures is so we dont bombard the NHS into meltdown.

I seriously feel for anyone who finds themselves out of work and not earning BUT if everyone can therefore go about their everyday business as usual then the whole thing will fail because the only ones sticking to the supposed rules are retired. 

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

For once I agree with you and yes there is little doubt this has caught out the Governments around the world with their trousers down not only ours. 

Germany is testing some 500,000 people a week, we are testing 2000.
German ratio of Poz tests to death is 0.1 % 
Italy ratio is 10 %      Guess what ? Italy doesnt do much testing either.

So is the true mortality rate .1 % or the EU average of 2-3 % ?

Many more people have the virus than you think, some say 6-7 million in this country alone, either have or had it, most didnt even know.

Edited by Rewulf
500,000 a week ,sorry

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I seriously feel for anyone who finds themselves out of work and not earning BUT if everyone can therefore go about their everyday business as usual then the whole thing will fail because the only ones sticking to the supposed rules are retired. 

I know someone who could work from home but was told by his company he had to come into the office to start with. He is now working from home.

The Government have not been clear with their instructions from the start.

Just now, Newbie to this said:

The Government have not been clear with their instructions from the start.

Sure, they're only politicians after all and most have zero practical experience, but the principle was always absolutely clear to anyone capable of absorbing more than 2 basic instructions at the same time. It's simple stuff not rocket science, and yes, there are some thickos around who don't get it, but of course there are always people who will exploit a bad situation to benefit themselves.

24 minutes ago, Westward said:

Exactly.

This morning I had to make a quick trip by car to get some milk from the co-op. First there were 2 tradesmen's vans parked in the lane and men working in a cottage up the hill a bit from me. On the journey - about 3/4 mile each way - I must have seen at least 20 unmarked vans on the roads, some very obviously tradesmen. Okay it's just remotely possible they were all attending emergencies, but my take is most were out doing their normal stuff.

If people continue to flout the rules then we will all suffer total lockdown. I feel sorry for the self employed at this time, I was self employed too until a few years ago, but perhaps they should have saved some of their undeclared income for a rainy day...

They are not flouting the ‘rules’ if they maintain the distancing ‘rules’. 

The reason the government are saying that people should work if they can is that they need to try to keep the economy moving. 

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

There are more people than you realise sitting at home, not making unnecessary journeys,  I'm hoping to be in work next week if its deemed safe.

They keep showing London la la land with people packed on the tube, that I wouldn't do.

At the moment you can still go to work if you can keep the 2m rule.

14 minutes ago, Westward said:

Sure, they're only politicians after all and most have zero practical experience, but the principle was always absolutely clear to anyone capable of absorbing more than 2 basic instructions at the same time. It's simple stuff not rocket science, and yes, there are some thickos around who don't get it, but of course there are always people who will exploit a bad situation to benefit themselves.

Yes, it's plain as day on the .gov website

If you cannot work from home then you can go to work.

It's probably a bit harsh calling people who don't understand that thickos though.

Screenshot_20200327-132934.jpg.f4734e6943776f1c0ce840daf4f00dea.jpg

13 minutes ago, AVB said:

They are not flouting the ‘rules’ if they maintain the distancing ‘rules’. 

The reason the government are saying that people should work if they can is that they need to try to keep the economy moving. 

I suggest you read the government site then report back. Tradesmen belting around doing non emergency work are flouting the rules.

Edited by Westward

Just now, Westward said:

I suggest you read the government site the report back. Tradesmen belting around doing non emergency work are flouting the rules.

I have read it thanks and newbie has posted it above. I suggest you read it again and tell me why I am wrong. 

My lad has just called me from work , they've been put on a three day week ,so he'll be getting a lower percentage of his full wage than someone that has been sent home for three weeks.

For all those that are complaining about money , just thank your lucky stars that you aren't a doctor ,nurse ,paramedic , hospital cleaner ,  or anyone else that is stuck in the middle of this xxxx storm.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Do I need to , no .

This. I’m still working. I don’t come into contact with anyone, and as long as I can get materials I’ll keep going. 
A woman I know is keeping going; self employed and told me she can’t live off 80% of no profit, so there you go. 🤷‍♂️