Care Homes

The Heron

Deaths in care homes will be difficult to count accurately, I've been working in a GP surgery over the last few weeks and due to the lack of tests available the deaths are being registered as "Viral Pneumonia" not CV19

Edited by Deker

They were talking about care homes on ITV this morning,  they said the average age is 85! I didn't expect it to be this high, so any sort of virus is going to have a serious impact on the people in there.

They were also talking about PPE, one care home said they had had to pay £8500 for a weeks worth,  stocks had gone to the NHS and prices have gone up because of demand,  plus care homes pay vat but the NHS doesn't. 

45 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

In mainland Europe they are suggesting that between 42 and 57% of covid deaths have occurred in care home, no reason to assume once the figures are released that it's likely to be any different in the UK? If that's the case we might need to find an alternative phrase for care home...

My partner works in a care home. A lot of the patients are over 90 and with terminal illness. Many are on end of life care and only this last week more have been sent from the NHS. The staff spend their time holding hands of people as they die. If this isn't caring I don't know what is 

8 minutes ago, AVB said:

The reality is that old people are more likely to die than young people regardless of Covid-19. We are not immortal. . 

I read something the other day... it was interesting. 

It said a significant high number of people over the age of about 70 are only alive due to the advancement of modern medicine keeping them going. 

Every morning (or several times a day) taking a huge cocktail of pills and medication to keep their blood pressure under control, their cholesterol in check, their heart working right, their kidneys and liver clean. 

Imagine if they didn’t have any of that? 

9 minutes ago, toontastic said:

My partner works in a care home. A lot of the patients are over 90 and with terminal illness. Many are on end of life care and only this last week more have been sent from the NHS. The staff spend their time holding hands of people as they die. If this isn't caring I don't know what is 

Your partner is doing a fantastic  and very caring job , please thank her from me .

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

It said a significant high number of people over the age of about 70 are only alive due to the advancement of modern medicine keeping them going. 

Every morning (or several times a day) taking a huge cocktail of pills and medication to keep their blood pressure under control, their cholesterol in check, their heart working right, their kidneys and liver clean. 

This is very true Lloyd modern medicine is the single most proportionate factor that has increased longevity. Alongside medical diagnostics and let us not forget immunization (health protection) Sepsis has the biggest cause of worldwide mortality, second that is acute myocardial infarction (heart attack) and stroke, then lower respiratory infection and disease pneumonia, copd etc then malignancy. 

If we did mot have any of this death rates would higher, with overall decreased quality of life and lower life expectancy. Take into account the social economic impact which you will have a greater understanding of.

atb

7diaw

1 hour ago, toontastic said:

I did not intend to imply any kind of slight on the owners of care homes let alone the people who work there, I apologise unreservedly if you felt that the case or were in any way offended. In fact, quite to the contrary - one of my best pals lost his wife to cancer at a hospice just over a week ago and my daughters boyfriend lost his nan at a care home on Sunday. I don't know much about the circumstances around the nan but having spoken to my friend he conveyed nothing but absolute praise for the way his wife spent her last few days. I have made a relatively significant contribution to the hospice in her memory since more than ever they are relying on our support.

I have huge respect for anyone involved in the sharp end of palliative care - takes a special kind of person. I am also aware that in the current situation the nurses are unable to physically console the relatives and this is further adding to the stress and strain of their job. I extend that respect and empathy to your partner.

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

That's why a hundred years ago the average life expectancy for a man was about 50. But with every advancement the NHS shoots itself in the foot financially. An aging population with increasingly complex multiple illnesses becomes a huge drain on the resources

5 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

In mainland Europe they are suggesting that between 42 and 57% of covid deaths have occurred in care home, no reason to assume once the figures are released that it's likely to be any different in the UK? If that's the case we might need to find an alternative phrase for care home...

The problem in Britain is that you have (I think) three weeks to register a death but that's based on when you can get an appointment at the registrar so that could stretch  back to five or more weeks in the present lockdown. The reality is that deaths outside hospital would easily be a month of more late in entering the statistics.

Edited by Vince Green