silicone gun socks

I have rust blue/blacked several barrels in which you have to get a nice even fine rust all over the barrels. I found this very hard to do if even the slightest trace of oil is left on the barrels.  That's after a caustic wash. The barrels "mine" which had been wiped with ACF 50 were even more difficult. I believe the OP but find it hard to accept. All my guns are kept in cheap sleeves, but of course have a light wipe with oil first.

9 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I have rust blue/blacked several barrels in which you have to get a nice even fine rust all over the barrels. I found this very hard to do if even the slightest trace of oil is left on the barrels.  That's after a caustic wash. The barrels "mine" which had been wiped with ACF 50 were even more difficult. I believe the OP but find it hard to accept. All my guns are kept in cheap sleeves, but of course have a light wipe with oil first.

That is what makes the difference!

I have never used anything like that. After wiping off all obvious water after a wet day I spray the gun with a light oil then leave it for a while before giving it a thorough clean. Once it is perfect I hold the component parts of the gun with a piece of kitchen roll so as not to touch them with my hands then I spray again and leave the barrels, forend and stock in an upright position overnight.

9 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have never used anything like that. After wiping off all obvious water after a wet day I spray the gun with a light oil then leave it for a while before giving it a thorough clean. Once it is perfect I hold the component parts of the gun with a piece of kitchen roll so as not to touch them with my hands then I spray again and leave the barrels, forend and stock in an upright position overnight.

Obviously secured😉

18 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

Yes I thought everyone did that, drummed into me at an early age especially with older English guns 

That's I do, but thought best keep quiet in case it was wrong!

1 hour ago, button said:

Is this what you would recommend?

hello, it is always what i do and use youngs 303 as it clings to the metal, another thing i do in winter is warm my O/U over a rad put on a towel, gun sock same so it is completely dry when i put back in cabinet

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

In other words if you look after your guns you wont get rust! End of.

My bit of wiping down cloth really is a horrible old bit of T shirt many many years old. I used to have a Samurai sword and had special oil for it, the cloth was originally soaked in that. Since then it's had  several doses of 3 in 1  and ACF 50 Oh and I got some oil with an airgun spring kit. It's had a drop of that too. I think everyone I know who shoots has a similar bit of rag!

4 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

In other words if you look after your guns you wont get rust! End of.

My bit of wiping down cloth really is a horrible old bit of T shirt many many years old. I used to have a Samurai sword and had special oil for it, the cloth was originally soaked in that. Since then it's had  several doses of 3 in 1  and ACF 50 Oh and I got some oil with an airgun spring kit. It's had a drop of that too. I think everyone I know who shoots has a similar bit of rag!

I think most of us have an old piece of soft oily cloth that gets used each time the guns move.

If my shotguns get wet I strip down into three pieces lightly spray with gun oil then leave them over night standing up right on newspapers and rag to let oil/ water run of the next morning give them a good clean the wipe with oily rag that I have had for about forty years put back together put in silicone sock put in cabinet never never had any rust on one of my guns.

But the way op answered me was like we don’t have any damp in or house well guns don’t go rusty unless there is damp/moisture some were.

I had an issue with a light surface rust once on the action of my 525, it is kept in a sock but I believe the washing sometimes drying in the same room as the cabinet could have caused it. I now use ACF50 when the gun is cleaned and have one of those de humidifier pots in the cabinet. No problems since.

On 04/05/2020 at 20:29, FAR WELTED said:

the rust took a bit of getting off, i used 0000 wire wool and clean motor oil. maybe i am fussey about the bluing

If you are fussy about the bluing then make the trip to Wisemans at Cannock. They did my Westley Richards around 1990 and it is still good to this day.

I use socks on all of my guns without problems. I do use engine oil on the outside metalwork though.

Edited by Westley