Cartridge choice for pigeons

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proper Cartridges,Stone Dead 32G 5's,i can't fault them,they pattern well through every choke i have (Optima Plus & Teagues),used mainly on pigeons & corvids but also shot pheasants,ducks & a few woodcock with them,i've never tried the 32G 6's but i'm being gifted a slab of them soon & i'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

2 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

Proper Cartridges,Stone Dead 32G 5's,i can't fault them,they pattern well through every choke i have (Optima Plus & Teagues),used mainly on pigeons & corvids but also shot pheasants,ducks & a few woodcock with them,i've never tried the 32G 6's but i'm being gifted a slab of them soon & i'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

hello, is George still going ? not seen him on here a long while.

6 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

DUCKS?

I haven't spoken to him in a while,he was up here last year delivering cartridges & all was well at that time,i hope he's back up to this area soon,stocks are getting low & i don't want to resort to having buy other brands.

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

Yep,ducks,inland,on a private flight pond.

Edited by 51/50

1 minute ago, 51/50 said:

I haven't spoken to him in a while,he was up here last year delivering cartridges & all was well at that time,i hope he's back up to this area soon,stocks are getting low & i don't want to resort to having buy other brands.

Yep,ducks,inland,on a private flight pond.

Still illegal.

46 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

Gifted ??? Not from George then 

44 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, is George still going ? not seen him on here a long while.

Never heard a peep but he doesn’t gift very much . Decent cartridges mind but customer service leaves a lot do be desired 

I received the Stone Dead 6's last night,as previously stated i've never used the 6's before,it'll be interesting to see how they perform.

20200516-223434.jpg

As a matter of interest has anyone else used these 32G 6's on pigeons & corvids?,how do you rate them?

15 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

I received the Stone Dead 6's last night,as previously stated i've never used the 6's before,it'll be interesting to see how they perform.

20200516-223434.jpg

As a matter of interest has anyone else used these 32G 6's on pigeons & corvids?,how do you rate them?

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I have noticed the gert big "P", but it cost me the price of 2000 cartridges to find out that the world's best components in the form of fibre wads do not like .742" back-bored barrels. That said, apart from which they do work but I found them a tad 'brisk'.

5 hours ago, 51/50 said:

20200516-223434.jpg

I have used 30 & 32 g 6’s & 5’s from George and they are good punchy cartridges- and I prefer the 30g 6 for decoying.

When George first started out he manufactured a 30g no5.5 called proper pigeon in a navy blue case, which was a great cartridge.

I was once beating pheasants and one of the guns had forgotten to pack his cartridges and borrowed a few from the other guns. At lunchtime I offered him the 100 of George’s 30g 5.5’ s that I had in the car- he was so impressed that he ordered a few thousand for himself.

Hitman 

Was decoying a while back using 28g 7's using True Cylinder and had 80 ish in the bag.

Ran out of 7's and went on to 30g 6's and immediately noticed a dramatic change with some iffy hits, which upset my dog as it was a very hot day.

Changed to 1/4 Choke and it was straight back to business as usual with a total of 142.

It brought home the practical difference that a change of choke / can make.

Since then I will not use True Cylinder with anything bigger than 7's.

But I'm only an occasional pigeon shooter and there are some real big hitters on this forum who can give the benefit of thier experience.

23 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Was decoying a while back using 28g 7's using True Cylinder and had 80 ish in the bag.

Ran out of 7's and went on to 30g 6's and immediately noticed a dramatic change with some iffy hits, which upset my dog as it was a very hot day.

Changed to 1/4 Choke and it was straight back to business as usual with a total of 142.

It brought home the practical difference that a change of choke / can make.

Since then I will not use True Cylinder with anything bigger than 7's.

But I'm only an occasional pigeon shooter and there are some real big hitters on this forum who can give the benefit of thier experience.

Well posted.

I'm not a "real big hitter" - more like moderate and even that is on the downward curve now. However, pigeons remain pigeons and shot hasn't changed either. What your post does is not so much explain the benefit of some choke as it does to highlight the old and true saying that "pattern kills".