Furloughed again

sam triple

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, mr smith said:

Working from home isn't for everyone, I have my wife and oldest daughter currently working from home.The missus is missing the human contact of her work colleagues and getting out of the house really,my daughter is quite happy working from her bedroom.

I concur. I enjoy not having to commute but miss the ‘cut and thrust’ of the office even if offices have become more PC in recent years. 

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I’m still trying to work out the logistics of me working from home 🤔

Simple. Live in the plane. 

47 minutes ago, AVB said:

I concur. I enjoy not having to commute but miss the ‘cut and thrust’ of the office even if offices have become more PC in recent years. 

Simple. Live in the plane. 

But he’d only be allowed 5 freinds around and in the garden 

it’s just not going to work 😂

Gents

It feel like I lived in those damn things enough as it is- besides, catering is rubbish and don’t fancy using the bog on a daily basis......

TC - helicopters, nah, still need to leave the comfort of the armchair.

Drones, bit small at the moment to take the ‘bucket n spade’ brigade away- plus studies have shown that although the tech is there ( obviously ala drones) for pilotless aircraft, the general public still haven’t warmed to the idea- frankly neither have I, not for job security reasons either ( too many variables, which is why we’re there anyway- and to look good for the pretty ladies that flock around 🤩)

25 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Gents

It feel like I lived in those damn things enough as it is- besides, catering is rubbish and don’t fancy using the bog on a daily basis......

TC - helicopters, nah, still need to leave the comfort of the armchair.

Drones, bit small at the moment to take the ‘bucket n spade’ brigade away- plus studies have shown that although the tech is there ( obviously ala drones) for pilotless aircraft, the general public still haven’t warmed to the idea- frankly neither have I, not for job security reasons either ( too many variables, which is why we’re there anyway- and to look good for the pretty ladies that flock around 🤩)

You may have to adapt or remain furloughed for ever!

5 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I’m still trying to work out the logistics of me working from home 🤔

Nobody's actually going anywhere this summer, so you can offer a virtual flight experience on YouTube.

The punters dress up in their shell suits and Hawaii shirts.

For a fee you deliver authentic airline food and airline quality wine to their door.

Their telly or computer plays wall to wall white clouds.

You do the reassuring "This is your captain speaking" spiel over a deafening roar and whistle.

At the end of it all they step out on to their drive into blinding sunshine (Well it was last week).

At additional cost you supply a filthy paddling pool and some litter-strewn sand for the authentic touch.

😂

31 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Thought great Yarmouth was pebbles? The spot we went as kids was.

Nope- mixture ( oh, did I really admit to knowing that)

31 minutes ago, amateur said:

Well, you would need to employ a few foreigners to provide all the authentic services.

Oh, no need, already in place.

Indeed, those Norfolk foreigners with their funny accents 

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Well done all the decorating, returf  the garden next week ,and just heard 110 of us will loose our jobs ,45 day consultation period started yesterday between union reps and the “ management “ , 

Sorry to hear that, been there many times but not in such difficult times.

2 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Cheers, like possibly millions of other it’s out of our hands ,just got to keep my fingers crossed and hope 

Obviously I've no idea how long you've been there, what kind of pay out you might get if your affected, sometimes its better to jump ship early if another job is available before everyone is looking.

Over the last week or so I have been chatting to people who run businesses across different sectors and they gave some insight to the number of staff they are planning to ‘let go’ over the coming weeks. Whilst it may not be fully representative of the U.K. it highlights that many sectors are impacted. 

car bodyshop - 20%

hairdressers - 10% (receptionists and apprentices)

regional law firm -10%

travel company - 40%

Coffee shop - 15%

Gym - 20%

Nail spa - 10%

Private Bank - 15%

I questioned why the car body shop and hairdressers would be cutting staff as I couldn’t see any logic as to why their business would be impacted (people still need haircuts and car repairs). They said it was due to less money being spent on ‘unnecessary work’ and in order to recoup some of the losses they have incurred.  They also said that that remaining staff would just have to “work harder” to fill any gaps. 

Worrying times.

19 minutes ago, AVB said:

Over the last week or so I have been chatting to people who run businesses across different sectors and they gave some insight to the number of staff they are planning to ‘let go’ over the coming weeks. Whilst it may not be fully representative of the U.K. it highlights that many sectors are impacted. 

Worrying times.

Hearing much of the same. I know a chain of coffee shops happy to lay off all the staff and recruit at some point in the future. Also firms finding that they have been able to maintain business without all of the staff and now trying to decide if they need them going forward.

Just now, oowee said:

Hearing much of the same. I know a chain of coffee shops happy to lay off all the staff and recruit at some point in the future. Also firms finding that they have been able to maintain business without all of the staff and now trying to decide if they need them going forward.

I wonder how many firms will not only shrink their office staff numbers but also their office size as this has demonstrated what can be done from home!

22 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I wonder how many firms will not only shrink their office staff numbers but also their office size as this has demonstrated what can be done from home!

Will absolutely be the case. I have worked at a few places where offices were run at 130% capacity absolutely fine . Wouldn't surprise me if more industries jump on the bandwagon plus that % being pushed even higher. 

We haven't been officially told but 3 or 4 redundancies are coming at our place. These are most likely to be people who are a) useless or b) not a good cultural fit.