Demonstrations in london

TRINITY

22 minutes ago, AVB said:

I am completely lost as to where this thread is going. I interpreted the post as being along the lines of “you would think that the BAME people in the scrum outside Nike would be more considerate of their health considering that CV-19 has a greater impact within the BAME community”. Is that racist? 

Same question to you as Mice.  Do you associate your behaviour with your racial identity when you do anything?

If you don’t why do you suppose those folk in the picture should.?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

There is nothing racist about seeing a bunch of black guys scruming up close and personal to a force open a shop door in the time of virus distancing.

If the crowd was of mixed ethnicity nobody would have thought they were all blacks. Some people just can't help playing a race card where there is simply no need of trash like that. 

I'm done with this topic now its blatantly obvious people are implying racism where its not present. all the blokes at that shop front are black. Anyone who can deny it is fair to collectively refer to them as a group of black guys have something wrong with them in my opinion.

There clearly is racism when the specific point of your post that I originally replied to was centred around the behaviour of that group because of their racial identity.

You even chose to use stereotypical colloquialism in your message to amplify your point. 

2 minutes ago, grrclark said:

There clearly is racism when the specific point of your post that I originally replied to was centred around the behaviour of that group because of their racial identity.

You even chose to use stereotypical colloquialism in your message to amplify your point. 

I don't find myself agreeing with you all that often, but I've got to say, I don't see what those people's colour has to do with anything. I hope Daveg doesn't mean offence, but his post certainly doesn't come across very well.

3 minutes ago, grrclark said:

For what it is worth I also saw a group of black faces, but that also factually represents the reality of the situation.

Does that make either of us racist? No, i don’t believe it does, but it does explain why there is a reasonable claim from the BAME community that there is an ingrained sense of differentiation towards black/coloured faces by an otherwise predominantly white society, if that is what we see and identify first.

The big question is whether we judge people on the basis of their race or behaviour.

The folk in the scrum are knobs for behaving like they did, not because of the colour of their skin.  I have no doubt at all that you agree with me on that.

Glad to hear it.. It actually didn't occur to me to blame their silly behaviour on the colour of their skin, perhaps some do, but that just proves knobs are knobs whatever their race... I do however need to look at how quickly i judge people based on first impressions, 

12 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Same question to you as Mice.  Do you associate your behaviour with your racial identity when you do anything?

If you don’t why do you suppose those folk in the picture should.?

Yes. If I was told that CV-19 had a greater impact to white people then I would do a risk assessment on the situation I was in. 

And if I was made aware that a white person in a specific area was more at risk of being mugged then I would also do a risk assessment. 

Edited by AVB
Added clarification.

4 minutes ago, AVB said:

Yes. If I was told that CV-19 had a greater impact to white people then I would do a risk assessment on the situation I was in. 

Fair enough, i don’t doubt you.

There is currently no evidence to suggest a genetic disposition toward the disease as a consequence of ethnicity.

So if you were part of a minority that genuinely believes that there is systemic discrimination against you would you be more or less inclined to disregard that risk as yet another example of persecution/discrimination?

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What makes people so desperate to go clothes shopping?

This is of course a fundamental question :)

13 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Glad to hear it.. It actually didn't occur to me to blame their silly behaviour on the colour of their skin, perhaps some do, but that just proves knobs are knobs whatever their race... I do however need to look at how quickly i judge people based on first impressions, 

Again we share the very same line of thought.

A bit of a look in the mirror now and again does us no harm, same with challenging received wisdom.

18 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I don't find myself agreeing with you all that often, but I've got to say, I don't see what those people's colour has to do with anything. I hope Daveg doesn't mean offence, but his post certainly doesn't come across very well.

As I said earlier, I do think there is a difference in casual or unconscious racism (or being judgemental of any sort) and a wilful intent to discriminate, offend, etc.

I find comfort in hope in the belief it is the former.

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

Fair enough, i don’t doubt you.

There is currently no evidence to suggest a genetic disposition toward the disease as a consequence of ethnicity.

So if you were part of a minority that genuinely believes that there is systemic discrimination against you would you be more or less inclined to disregard that risk as yet another example of persecution/discrimination?

So you are saying that if I believe that I am discriminated against then I would ignore all advice because I would also believe it to be discriminatory? Personally I wouldn’t but if I were to do so I couldn’t also use the argument that the virus targeted my ethnicity. 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Im now wondering if i am racist

To be quite frank,  I don't know a single living human being who isn't racist to some greater or lesser degree. Racist is a massive word that covers a whole spectrum of perspectives, instincts, emotions, expectations, and value judgments - not all of them necessarily negative, and most of them not even conscious -   and like I say, I've never met anyone immune from these influences - ever.

So personally I have no problem at all saying that I'm racist. I'd by lying, either to myself or someone else,  if I were to deny it.

This topic has had a good airing, but we are now seeing more and more reports and complaints, some leading to posts being removed, others clearly trying to get voices they dislike silenced.  It's therefore closed and normal service resumed with regard to race and religion.