Jump to content

Which 20 Bore? CG or Beretta


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, London Best said:

Now, if I HAD to have an O/U, it would look like that!

Cheers.

I had to give up the Chapuis OU  for the same reason (weight) as the other gun mentioned earlier and which was really upsetting. This one has made it easier to accept.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait till you get a hold of it, the one I had in my hands was one of the nicest handling and balanced guns I've handled. Felt very much like a SO10 I had hold of.

You won't want to give it back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, figgy said:

Wait till you get a hold of it, the one I had in my hands was one of the nicest handling and balanced guns I've handled. Felt very much like a SO10 I had hold of.

You won't want to give it back.

He’ll get it back, not keen on 20’s really. Will give it a whirl though, may take it on a syndicate day; he can’t really say no cos I know how much it cost......unlike his fiancé. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha good old blackmail 👍

6 hours ago, London Best said:

Now, if I HAD to have an O/U, it would look like that!

Take any over and under and have the pistol grip taken out, you have what you like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, figgy said:

Ha ha good old blackmail 👍

Take any over and under and have the pistol grip taken out, you have what you like.

Sorry figgy, good try, but it would still be missing a trigger, weigh a pound and a half too much and removing a pistol grip rarely makes a stock look right, plus most are far too deep in the action to ever be considered elegant. IMO, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, London Best said:

Sorry figgy, good try, but it would still be missing a trigger, weigh a pound and a half too much and removing a pistol grip rarely makes a stock look right, plus most are far too deep in the action to ever be considered elegant. IMO, of course.

The most 'side by side like' over and under I know is the Merkel 303.  Straight hand stock, double triggers, automatic safety, true sidelock, hand detachable locks, and weighs about 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 lbs, but with very central weight concentration making it feel fast and light.  It is, however - very 'deep' in the action even by o/u standards.  GThey are beautifully made and the smoothness of the opening and closing etc. is exceptional.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, VERY deep fugly action and far too heavily built. 
The only O/U’s I have ever used which were fun were McNab Highlanders in 28 gauge weighing 5lbs 14oz. 
The Beretta 20 bores are quite nice to use. 
A friend has a Chapuis which is nice enough.

As a committed SxS man I won’t be buying any O/U.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, button said:

That is really nice  

How did you come across that?

I bought it from Stewart at Glenluce Gunroom. I had barrelblacker reblue the barrels and lift a wee dent in the rib and stripped and reoiled the stock myself. I did so well with it last season that I bought a straight hand stocked 12 bore for this season but haven’t had the chance to try it out on game because of the Covid restrictions

03F5DACD-6124-4679-8E69-D1CDB9623C1B.jpeg

Edited by Konor
Adding picture
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scully said:

Very nice. Much like a mates I mentioned but yours has much nicer wood. B2G? B25?

No Scully it was made by Alex Dalgleish in Eaglesham just outside Glasgow using a Miroku action. I bought it in the last Holts sale £1500 including commission. It had a small crack in the stock behind the top tang so it was a bit of a gamble but Graham MacKinlay of Glasgow Gunmakers fixed it for me.The 20 bore was £750 in 2016 and the 12 bore was £1520 including commission. The 12 bore was a 60th or retirement present , I’m still working though ! 
When I spoke to Alex he reckoned on £10000 up to create a number 2 so I feel lucky

Edited by Konor
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Konor said:

No Scully it was made by Alex Dalgleish in Eaglesham just outside Glasgow using a Miroku action. I bought it in the last Holts sale £1500 including commission. It had a small crack in the stock behind the top tang so it was a bit of a gamble but Graham MacKinlay of Glasgow Gunmakers fixed it for me.The 20 bore was £750 in 2016 and the 12 bore was £1520 including commission. The 12 bore was a 60th or retirement present , I’m still working though ! 

Very very nice. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Konor said:

I bought it from Stewart at Glenluce Gunroom. I had barrelblacker reblue the barrels and lift a wee dent in the rib and stripped and reoiled the stock myself. I did so well with it last season that I bought a straight hand stocked 12 bore for this season but haven’t had the chance to try it out on game because of the Covid restrictions

03F5DACD-6124-4679-8E69-D1CDB9623C1B.jpeg

Lovely, well done to you for taking the risk, I would certainly say you have done well there

I saw it myself but bottled it!

Happy to PM you my details when you decide to let them go cheap😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, button said:

Lovely, well done to you for taking the risk, I would certainly say you have done well there

I saw it myself but bottled it!

Happy to PM you my details when you decide to let them go cheap😉

Thanks button, I’m hoping that there will be a twenty year wait before they are on the market again. I may take them to the next Scottish pigeonwatch clay shoot and you could have a shot then though.

Edited by Konor
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2020 at 19:19, farmer7 said:

Is yours a field version? Does it take the same microcore pads as other Berettas. I have a couple of different sized ones from my 692 sporter.

Thanks for that. I think on looks/style I'm leaning towards the CG but again difficult to ignore the Beretta!

I'm limiting myself by price really, not many 32" 20 bores around at the £1000-£1100 mark. I would buy a 32" if it was an option but haven't seen any.

Yeah just heading there! Thanks.

Sent you a PM

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...