Dust shot

ag12g

The very old dust shot would probably be graded 10 today but these days 9s is basically dust shot so yes fine for reasonable clays.

Used the old dust shot back in the early 50s for shooting house sparrows and rats running along the beams in the cow sheds, replaced with rice once it became readily available because it did less damage to the tiles.

i don't think it would work...break the birds...true dust shot English 12 size and smaller on the going away bird on Station 1 or Station 7. I don't think it would have enough force. English 9 size would of course work just fine. It was all that we used to use back in the day. Do they use larger shot then nowadays?

Edited by enfieldspares

I think the chap who had the dust before me liked liked his quarry stuffed so it would be ideal for minimum damage for taxidermy, just for reference the shot is in between the size of shot 9 and sp3 powder, I don't have anything accurate enough to measure it..thanks

I was told by licensed pest control firm how true this is I can't say, he said they have to be a targeted shot and not to be shot with a shotgun incase of wounding the animal, to use a humane trap food and water has to be supplied in the cage and dispatched with an air rifle and the rat was to be burned

14 minutes ago, ag12g said:

I was told by licensed pest control firm how true this is I can't say, he said they have to be a targeted shot and not to be shot with a shotgun incase of wounding the animal, to use a humane trap food and water has to be supplied in the cage and dispatched with an air rifle and the rat was to be burned

Its my belief licensed pest control firms are like politicians, tell you what you want to hear till they have the job then do what they like. 

I'll stick to hitting them on the run with 9 grams of number 6 shot and letting the farmer dispose of them.

Unless anyone else knows of some law?

Thanks for the answer anyway. 

21 minutes ago, ag12g said:

What a waste , they are delicious curried.

18 hours ago, ag12g said:

I think you're being fed bovine eggs there. If you shoot all the rats you're going to do him out of a job so he's going to discourage you from shooting them. And food and water in the cages for live traps is absolute rubbish, even the badger lot didn't insist on it and they made a lot of demands on trappers.

I am fully qualified on this matter after buying 10 kg of no 12 shot to reload skeet shells . I have been reloading shotgun shells for over 20 years . I reloaded 50 shells with 28 grams of dust shot ,ready for two rounds of skeet ! What a disappointment where I normally shoot 23-25 I finished up with 8 and 11 the going away birds and center peg birds just wouldn’t break . Some times you could see them move but not break there is just not enough energy in 0.8 mm pellets to break clays unless they are really close 

4 hours ago, deershooter said:

I am fully qualified on this matter after buying 10 kg of no 12 shot to reload skeet shells . I have been reloading shotgun shells for over 20 years . I reloaded 50 shells with 28 grams of dust shot ,ready for two rounds of skeet ! What a disappointment where I normally shoot 23-25 I finished up with 8 and 11 the going away birds and center peg birds just wouldn’t break . Some times you could see them move but not break there is just not enough energy in 0.8 mm pellets to break clays unless they are really close 

I told 'em that "I don't think it would work...break the birds...true dust shot English 12 size and smaller on the going away bird on Station 1 or Station 7. I don't think it would have enough force." But they didn't listen! I am glad that someone with a real life experience has confirmed it as correct.